Marshall Origin - Clean at gigging volume?

Stonefish

Reaction score
Hey hey, I'm looking into getting an Origin 50 Combo for some home recording, but mainly band practices and gigging.
However my band leader is quite insistent about getting pure clean tones (they use a solid state fender champ!) at a gigging volume.
Will the origin be able to keep up with a 6-piece band (varies in style from indie-country through to heavy dream pop and some hard rock) while still remaining clean?

Cheers for any advice!

faerdi

Reaction score
From what I experienced with my Origin 20 is that it depends on what you would still define as „clean“.
You will hardly get a pristine clean sound of any non master volume Marshall.

The Marshall Haze 40c stays fairly clean and is dirt cheap. You might consider that.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hey hey, I'm looking into getting an Origin 50 Combo for some home recording, but mainly band practices and gigging.
However my band leader is quite insistent about getting pure clean tones (they use a solid state fender champ!) at a gigging volume.
Will the origin be able to keep up with a 6-piece band (varies in style from indie-country through to heavy dream pop and some hard rock) while still remaining clean?

Cheers for any advice!
Unfortunately, in my experience my Origin 20C could not keep up with a three or four piece band without getting dirty. Dunno about a 50C but my understanding is that it does not have all that much more headroom. Others will no doubt be able to advise you more about that specific amp.

svinyard

Reaction score
I don't own the Origin but spent some time playing the 50w several times. It's got some serious headroom and you really have to play it freaking loud to get legit distortion. It's kind of got that real old school Fender thing going on a bit (which was sorta the "origin" of Marshall). But, I'm not sure it's perfectly clean at volume you need. I'm not going to ask what Heavy Dream Pop is btw lol.

Reaction score
The Origin series' strong point is its clean sound, it's pristine and very defined, the "bad" thing about it is its distortion, that's not its strong point, that's why it's a great platform for using pedals. I have the Origin 20H and for clean sounds it's excellent, I haven't been able to find a distortion pedal that can take advantage of its potential.

Dadodetres

Reaction score
I own the Origin 50 for 3 months now, gigged twince with my 7 piece Shoegaze band and was satisfied with it, speccially with its clean sound.
Its not a monster clean like my Jazz Chorus, but "good enough" for my taste. Way better at remaining clean than a Fender Hot Rod, though it doesnt move at much aire as neithernof those.
The Origin 50 at rock band volumen "barks" a little but doesnt distort.

speyfly

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a distortion pedal that can take advantage of its potential.

With my O20H I've kinda moved away form dirt pedals and now using a good eq in the loop (pushing the mids) and a clean eq boost pedal in the front. Gives me tons of clean gain, no mud or ice picks, just awesome Marshall crunch. Tubes will make a difference too.

To the OP question, don't own a 50 but from others here that do I think you'll be safe. That said, there is a huge difference between Marshall and Fender cleans, hope your band leader is OK with Marshall tone.

Last edited:

nevermind

Reaction score
I own the Origin 50 for 3 months now, gigged twince with my 7 piece Shoegaze band and was satisfied with it, speccially with its clean sound.
Its not a monster clean like my Jazz Chorus, but "good enough" for my taste. Way better at remaining clean than a Fender Hot Rod, though it doesnt move at much aire as neithernof those.
The Origin 50 at rock band volumen "barks" a little but doesnt distort.
I just plugged my O50 in and cranked it up clean. Like your description!

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
You should try a DSL combo/head, sorry I'm partial, but I can get pretty good cleans, but it really kicks hard when you want it to. Not sure if the cleans are good enough for what you are doing, but since you already have a Jazz Chorus you may end up A/Bing them. The only problem you will have is 5 people telling you to turn down.

Reaction score
With my O20H I've kinda moved away form dirt pedals and now using a good eq in the loop (pushing the mids) and a clean eq boost pedal in the front. Gives me tons of clean gain, no mud or ice picks, just awesome Marshall crunch. Tubes will make a difference too.

To the OP question, don't own a 50 but from others here that do I think you'll be safe. That said, there is a huge difference between Marshall and Fender cleans, hope your band leader is OK with Marshall tone.
Could you please tell me how to connect the EQ to the effects loop on the Origin? Thanks

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
If the other amp in the band is a SS Fender Champ, the Origin 50 will be louder than that, even clean. "Stage volume" varies from one band to another and it doesn't sound like your band is very loud, if they're using small SS amps. So you'll be fine.

That said, I think the DSL40C would be a better idea since it has a dedicated clean channel.

speyfly

Reaction score

V-man

Reaction score
No experience with the Origins. I have a 1959 that is clean at about 0 (yes, and 0 is fucking not bedroom volume) to 1. After 2 it just ramps up to club/stadium rock.

That said, I would say tubes and pickups matter. You can always roll tubes with 12A variants (12AU, 12AT, etc), to decrease gain. I wouldn’t expect all your guitars to have JBs and hotter with this question, but low output PAF types and vintage spec single coils would be the obvious… even P-90s can get hairy when you are going super clean. Sadly, they have no lo sensitivity jack to cut further like the MkII amps all had.

The bad news is hearing some people’s impressions BEFORE buying the amp, but the good news is (safely assuming you have a guitar w the appropriately-recommended pickups), the amp is cheap as are a couple of preamp tubes making this a relatively low risk experiment.