Marshall Origin Series Amplifiers

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
yea , so when will the origin be available , cause that's what's causing confusion again and again cause I will buy one when I can see one , not until

talking about weight ,my jtm60 2x12 combo is HEAVY 2off v30's
Exactly, not until I can see one. I hope theyre not basing their production on the number of pre orders, I don't understand why anybody would pre order anything without seeing it first.

PU239

Reaction score
This sounds promising :yesway:

What is your connection to Marshall, you seem to be in the know?

I was with Santiago at NAMM when the amp launched a few days ago. The Origin was one of three amps he had done that was launching at NAMM. We also met up with member MaskingApathy (nice guy) so he could meet him. Marshall made some changes to the original design (features that would make it more money) but the sound is there, they are great amps for the money.

I have for the most part broken off contact with the company because I have gone a different direction a few years ago. I am more into Kemper and Synergy today and IMO Victory is making the best sounding amps today. However I remain friends with a few of the guys that worked there over the years.

Last edited:

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I'm so happy with the Origin line. I've been saying for a couple of years that an affordable 2203/2204 would dominate the world.

Marshall not only came up with an affordable, multi-watt 2204 with a loop and boost, but also made it look like an old school plexi.

They have hit the nail on the head. Whether or not we like the amp is irrelevant. As a company, they read the market correctly and made the right move. :yesway:

Edit to add: Some folks in this thread talk about this amp and the DSL series as "amateur" amps or not "pro rated" amps. Maybe the music scene I'm part of is different but plenty of pro musicians use their MIV DSLs on a regular basis; multiple times a week.

The DSL40C is a working musician's amp. It's a workhorse.

Last edited:

Steve Mavronis

Reaction score
I love 1W-6W range of tube amps for home use. I like the Origin 20W combo too but wonder if that's too loud for home even with the power scaling. I mean with 3 x ECC83 and 2 x EL34.

slide222

Reaction score
the 20 does go down to 5 and 10, but can't see what the 50 goes down to it just says low medium and full power

Last edited:

PU239

Reaction score
50W/10W/0.5W power settings according to SweetWater

And everyone needs to please keep in mind that every demo that Marshall has done with the amps has been in the 0.5 watt mode.

While power reduction is a useful option, both the DSL and the Orgin will perform and sound best turned up with no power reduction.

Steve Mavronis

Reaction score
the 20 does go down to 5 and 10, but can't see what the 50 goes down to it just says low medium and full power

Per the Origin 20 manual:

"OUTPUT LEVEL - Adjusts the output power level. At high power the output will be the maximum available power level. At mid power the output of the amplifier is set for quieter performance use and recording (ORI20: approx. 3W). At low power the output will be reduced for home practice (ORI20: approx. 0.5W)."

I like this part:

"Note: reducing the power output allows you to drive the power stage harder at low volumes. This provides the ability to benefit from the rich tonal qualities that a valve power amp can create without the need to operate at loud volume levels."

slide222

Reaction score
well I got my info from GAK, check it out , so we have no date and different specs from distributors to the manual
this release is certainly entertaining

and PMT are also saying 5watts and 10watts for the 20 origin !

Last edited:

Plectrum

Reaction score
well I got my info from GAK, check it out , so we have no date and different specs from different distributors
this release is certainly entertaining

and PMT are saying 5watts and 10watts for the 20 origin

The actual specs are on Marshall's web site.

slide222

Reaction score
I can't find them at all at andertons
if the manual specs are right and I believe what you say then marshall should inform the shops and pretty sharpish

The Ozzk

Reaction score
DSL Version 2.0.

what about the new 3.0 versions? That's what I was eluding to.
Most likely same quality standards or better.

I'm not an insider but if Marshall was my company, I'd shift mass production to the far east with emphasis on QA/QC and keep the UK production focused on legacy products (2203, 1959, Astoria, JVM).

doomsdaymachine

Reaction score
I was with Santiago at NAMM when the amp launched a few days ago. The Origin was one of three amps he had done that was launching at NAMM. We also met up with member MaskingApathy (nice guy) so he could meet him. Marshall made some changes to the original design (features that would make it more money) but the sound is there, they are great amps for the money.

I have for the most part broken off contact with the company because I have gone a different direction a few years ago. I am more into Kemper and Synergy today and IMO Victory is making the best sounding amps today. However I remain friends with a few of the guys that worked there over the years.

Interesting.... He said that he had only started the Origin with a 2061x circuit, and that many things were changed, (all of which he wasn't involved in).. It sounded as if he had no idea what the finished product was - I'm surprised you'd claim that he "had done" the Origin. That would be inaccurate..

PU239

Reaction score
Interesting.... He said that he had only started the Origin with a 2061x circuit, and that many things were changed, (all of which he wasn't involved in).. It sounded as if he had no idea what the finished product was - I'm surprised you'd claim that he "had done" the Origin. That would be inaccurately..

He did do it. If reading comprehension was your strong suit you would see I said some things were removed. Reverb and a four way attenuator to be exact.

Last edited:

doomsdaymachine

Reaction score
He did do it. If reading comprehension was your strong suit you would see I said some things were removed. Reverb and a four way attenuator to be exact.

Think what you want, because its inaccurate.

Per Santiago: "I started those amps and they were pretty much complete when I left BUT the amps that are released are different so I don't know what's actually in there".

Pretty cut & dry. In fact, he responded to a question of mine personally. Marshall removed the reverb, added power-stem, and his comments read as if he's unclear what else went on. That's all I'm saying, which is pretty fair, I believe. He stated they sounded good, however.

I'd question your own reading comprehension there, Francis, as well the insults.
I have no beef, here. I'm waiting for a 50 watt head to come to the U.S. I'm all over it!

Last edited: