Marshall Origin Series Amplifiers

micval

Reaction score
Well..It may not come to it but resale value is an issue. It IS apparently a faulty amp after all.
I mean I don't know if it is or isn't faulty actually just going by what we've read here.
It's really your personal call but you DID pay full value for a piece of equipment which is NOT full value.
BP

That's a good point. I'll definitely check it and have it repaired if the issue is there, but that can wait with the 3 year warranty. Maybe wait for something else to go wonky and then have it taken care of together. Unless of course the issue is potentially dangerous, like, I don't know, could there be some impedance mismatch involved?

micval

Reaction score
So this is weird. I realized I could split my 2x12 to stereo, plugged both speakers in the two 8 ohm outputs and they both worked. Curious, I tried to connect one speaker from my 2x12 and the other from my bandmate's 2x12 (also split to stereo) and in that setup only one speaker works. He has the same cab but with different speakers, can this play a role when they're both 16 ohm?

Anyway the problem is there and I'll definitely have it fixed some time...

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Look at youR owners manual carefully. A member here had mentioned that it states that if one particular speaker out is used in some application the other speaker out will be cancelled out.
Sorry, just going by memory but that post is somewhere on here.
BP

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
So this is weird. I realized I could split my 2x12 to stereo, plugged both speakers in the two 8 ohm outputs and they both worked. Curious, I tried to connect one speaker from my 2x12 and the other from my bandmate's 2x12 (also split to stereo) and in that setup only one speaker works. He has the same cab but with different speakers, can this play a role when they're both 16 ohm?

Anyway the problem is there and I'll definitely have it fixed some time...

Surely that is a little odd! :-/ If anyone gets theirs fixed can we have a pic of it to see where and how to fix it?

Ang on...... Just so I've got that right.... The cabinet is 16 ohm, that's 2x 8ohm speakers right? You can connect each 8ohm speaker into each 8 ohm jack, but not 2x 16 ohm cabinets into the 8 ohm jacks? :)

Isn't that what the 16 ohm jack is for?

Well, we'll see when it comes!

Last edited:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Here is what the manual states about using external cabs:

2 & 3. 8 OHM OUTPUT
Connect an 8 OHM cabinet using socket #3, or connect a pair of 16 OHM speaker cabinets to sockets #2 and #3.

So it appears that you are not supposed to mix and match cab impedance and you are only to use a 16 ohm cab into each of the 8 ohm output jacks.

No I have not yet tried mine with two cabs...only one.

tolm

Reaction score
My combo had that issue: couldn’t use two 16ohm cabs into the two 8 ohm sockets despite the manual (and common amp knowledge!) saying you could. Took it back to the shop and tested all the other Origins in stock (3 combos and 2 heads) and they all had the same issue.

Last I heard, Marshall were doing a recall to fix them all. I’ve changed my order to a 50W head now, though, and have ordered a custom diagonal 2x12 from Zilla.

micval

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't formulate that clear enough the first time. I have a 2x12 with two 16ohm speakers wired either in parallel for a total impedance of 8 ohms or split to stereo effectively having two 16 ohm cabs in one enclosure. When I did the split and put two leads from the two 8 ohm outputs on the Origin to the two inputs on the cab, both speakers worked. My friend has the same cab with different speakers, but the same impedance and configuration options. So I split his cab too and plugged one lead to one of my speakers and the other to one of his, again both 16 ohm. This time however only one worked.

I guess it doesn't matter now if the issue is acknowledged, just wanted to clarify...

m1989jmp

Reaction score
Does anyone have info whether Origin 50H is cathode or fixed bias? I can't seem to find anything online.

william embry

Reaction score
Does anyone have info whether Origin 50H is cathode or fixed bias? I can't seem to find anything online.
I got the 20 watt head from Sweetwater and asked my rep the same question. He didn't know but contacted Marshall and called me back. They are all cathode biased. I put Mullurds in the power section
I have the 20 watt head and my Sweetwater rep contacted Marshall and They said they are all cathode biased. I put Mullards in the power and Tung Sol in the pre. Playing through a 212 with greenbacks. It sounds pretty glorious to my ears.

bad565ss

Reaction score
Got a chance to spend around 45 minutes on a Origin 50 combo this week. Plugged a new Les Paul Junior straight in. I thought it sounded pretty darn good. Expecting a 2203? You'll be disappointed. But it had a nice growl to it when pushed that most classic rock players would like. I could see it getting pretty dirty with the right O.D. pedals out front. The power scaling worked well, no paint peeling involved. Rolled off it cleaned up real nice too. I liked it.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Thanks BP. When your as old as I am most of the trial and error has been done. I know What I like and What works most of the time. Greenbacks and kicking up the master are what this amp wants.

Yup I agree! I use the Creamback but very similar if not the same. This amp likes Mullard power tubes also IMO!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Got a chance to spend around 45 minutes on a Origin 50 combo this week. Plugged a new Les Paul Junior straight in. I thought it sounded pretty darn good. Expecting a 2203? You'll be disappointed. But it had a nice growl to it when pushed that most classic rock players would like. I could see it getting pretty dirty with the right O.D. pedals out front. The power scaling worked well, no paint peeling involved. Rolled off it cleaned up real nice too. I liked it.

I think its one of the best amps Marshall has come out with in years unless you are a way high gain amps or the Metal modern tone!

Last edited:

Latest posts