Marshall Origin Series Amplifiers

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
After much thought I think I'll take a 20 watt head home with me when they come out and see if it gives me what I want, I'm hoping it has punch and a decent amount of crunch and that boost feature works well for solo gain boost and the fx loop gives me a volume boost with my boost pedal. From what I hear the power scaling works very well. If it lacks punch I'll swap it out for a 50 watt head and give that a try. I got my fingers crossed this amp is everything I ever wanted. :yesway:

Last edited:

jmjohnson

Reaction score
Figure I'd be in for a 20H. For around $500 wouldnt even have to trade anything. Plug it into the 2061 cabinet and see how it sounds!

Scaling, boost, MV and effects? Why not???

Arc Anjil

Reaction score
I had been waiting for the new DSL40's - had no knowledge of the Origins. I think I will check out a 50 watt head with a 2x12 cabinet when they are available and probably go with that. I might front it with a Catalinbread RAH and/or a DLS....

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem with this series and the new DSL's, is that I now want them both. There is a BIG difference however between WANT and NEED. There also seems to be a big difference between these new amps as well...

Looks like the Origin is gonna be a great single-channel platform, takes pedals well and seems to be pretty versatile. But on the other hand, the new DSL's have been improved a LOT, with a TON of new features making them an extremely versatile multi-channel amp. With new features like external bias points, 6-button footswitch (mode switching now available!) dual Master Volumes, redesigned Ultra Channel and MIDI switching these will give any other amp a run for their money.

But I am describing apples vs. oranges here... The Origin might be a one-trick-pony like the Haze series, and I certainly hope it has a longer production run, but I fear that it won't be nearly as popular because of that fact. The tone doesn't appear to be that much better or versatile, especially with smaller speakers. To hear one of the heads thru a 1960 cab will be the true test, as well as getting a chance to see the innards of this amp. Until then, I am holding back judgement.

Shae201

Reaction score
Gentleman....the wait is over, I finally have a pic of the inside of a 20w origin head. Drum roll....

210-288x260.jpg

Im sorry, I couldnt resist....On a serious note, im hoping that the origin could be the missing link between a plexi and a DSL and highley portable being a 20w head. Im sure I will buy one soon.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Problem with this series and the new DSL's, is that I now want them both. There is a BIG difference however between WANT and NEED. There also seems to be a big difference between these new amps as well...

Looks like the Origin is gonna be a great single-channel platform, takes pedals well and seems to be pretty versatile. But on the other hand, the new DSL's have been improved a LOT, with a TON of new features making them an extremely versatile multi-channel amp. With new features like external bias points, 6-button footswitch (mode switching now available!) dual Master Volumes, redesigned Ultra Channel and MIDI switching these will give any other amp a run for their money.

But I am describing apples vs. oranges here... The Origin might be a one-trick-pony like the Haze series, and I certainly hope it has a longer production run, but I fear that it won't be nearly as popular because of that fact. The tone doesn't appear to be that much better or versatile, especially with smaller speakers. To hear one of the heads thru a 1960 cab will be the true test, as well as getting a chance to see the innards of this amp. Until then, I am holding back judgement.

So you gonna sell your DSL???

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
So you gonna sell your DSL???
I dunno. It is modded, and right now it is at a really sweet spot for tone. At least tone as I like it anyway.
I doubt anyone would really want it now that the new ones are out, and it is in such great shape I don't think I could get what I really want for it. Same for the DSL5c. I put a Green Beret (Greenback clone) in it and it sounds fantastic.

Too much sentimental value I guess. Why wanna buy it? How many do you really need anyway?

jmjohnson

Reaction score
Good to hear the new DSL has been tweaked - my 15c needed mods to make it worthwhile.

I have the Haze head (traded in black star HT5 stack) which is cool with the effects, but a design built plexi with scaling and MV should be a nice gap filler.

ken361

Reaction score
I dunno. It is modded, and right now it is at a really sweet spot for tone. At least tone as I like it anyway.
I doubt anyone would really want it now that the new ones are out, and it is in such great shape I don't think I could get what I really want for it. Same for the DSL5c. I put a Green Beret (Greenback clone) in it and it sounds fantastic.

Too much sentimental value I guess. Why wanna buy it? How many do you really need anyway?
I wonder if they changed the cap on the red??

Bryan

Reaction score
My store heard from Marshall on the Origin and they were told April/May.

Hope that helps.

MarshallDog

Reaction score

No, I dont want to buy it, I was just curious! I was actually thinking about selling mine. The only mods are the choke, new power and standby switch (the better Marshall ones) and the upgraded tone circuit caps, these I would not reverse. I could always put the stock brite cap back in, thats easy. I have the 70.00 D2F padded cover and the LED footswitch all in like new shape. Not sure what I'll do at this point. I dont play it much.

kleintools

Reaction score
I'd buy one if made in the UK and would gladly pay double but its not so much for the new MARSHALL.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Am I missing something , is it not the obvious thing to get a 20w head and 1x12 cab ????

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I hope the 20w combo will be big enough to cram a 12” speaker into. I’m not big on 10’s.

So how ya gonna do it? You gonna pull the baffle, remove the grill cloth, cut the speaker hole bigger, remount the speaker nuts and reapply the grill cloth and thats if there is enough space??? Sounds like a lot of work to me. I would just go with the 50W combo but thats me.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
So how ya gonna do it? You gonna pull the baffle, remove the grill cloth, cut the speaker hole bigger, remount the speaker nuts and reapply the grill cloth and thats if there is enough space??? Sounds like a lot of work to me. I would just go with the 50W combo but thats me.

Hammer, chisel, duct tape..

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Portability ? My Astoria custom combo is pretty damn heavy , if it wasn't because it was a limited ( 1 of 10 ) Andertons black edition ( on a killer deal of £1400 ) I would have gone for head and cab as more portable in my opinion .