Marshall Solid State vs Import Tube Amp

• Thread starter mtm105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall Solid State vs Ibanez Tube Import

• Solid State sux

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I can live with Solid State hybrid

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Tube Amps are GREAT over Solid State ANY day of the week

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Import Amps can go to hell..

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

mtm105

Reaction score
I"m entertaining selling my Marshall AVT 50H, for around $249. It's a hybrid.

With almost same $ I can buy an Ibanez TSA 15H, used but I'll likely buy new. Ibanez TSA15H 15-Watt Tube Head | Sweetwater.com

Should I get rid of Solid State under ANY circumstance in favor of an Import Tube Amp that I think I really want?? The Amp has EVERYTHING I'm looking for in an Amp, to include dual 6V6s and dual 16 Ohm feed.

The Marshall is OK. Not GREAT. I'm afraid I might regret getting rid of it, due to the fact that it's a Marshall. I have 1980's Lead 12 head in case I have to have some sort of Marshall sound.

Last edited:

slide222

Reaction score
solid state have a flat cardboard square sound , and tube have a warm with more depth round tone, solid state can do fizzy distorted sounds easily
...and haft solid state and haft tube I guess will sound like a haft way house

mtm105

Reaction score
solid state have a flat cardboard square sound , and tube have a warm with more depth round tone, solid state can do fizzy distorted sounds easily

One of the biggest lies in ROCK history is Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedos Vox tranny recordings.

I just can't believe that that is THE sound emanating from his Amp.

Big ole lie like EVH's brown sound.

Except John Fogerty. He's pretty straightforward with his Kustom tuck and roll.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
I have an MG100 head. It plays backup to my Granger or JCM at gigs but I would not hesitate to use it if I needed it an it is my go to rehearsal and practice amp.

Frodebro

Reaction score

There have been some pretty significant changes since you last checked them out, I think. Even the inexpensive modelers are getting amazing sounds, and the really good ones are damn near indistinguishable from tube amps.

The biggest problem the new technology has to overcome these days is forty years of prejudices against anything that doesn't have tubes in it.

12barjunkie

Reaction score
Get the amp that you think you REALLY want. If you regret it, buy another AVT....Nothing ventured, nothing gained

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There have been some pretty significant changes since you last checked them out, I think. Even the inexpensive modelers are getting amazing sounds, and the really good ones are damn near indistinguishable from tube amps.

The biggest problem the new technology has to overcome these days is forty years of prejudices against anything that doesn't have tubes in it.

:agreed:

There's VERY good SS amps out there... the AVT isn't one of them. I tried one, and it was absolute shit. :lol: I spent like an hour at GC trying to dial in a good sound in one and I just couldn't do it. The Peavey Vypyr and Carvin V3 next to it were practically plug-and-play. Just because it says Marshall doesn't mean it'll be the end-all-be-all.

With that said, try the TSA. If you don't like it and want to stick to Marshall, try a VS100, 8100, or Mosfet 100 instead.

Frodebro

Reaction score

There's VERY good SS amps out there... the AVT isn't one of them. I tried one, and it was absolute shit. :lol: I spent like an hour at GC trying to dial in a good sound in one and I just couldn't do it. The Peavey Vypyr and Carvin V3 next to it were practically plug-and-play. Just because it says Marshall doesn't mean it'll be the end-all-be-all.

With that said, try the TSA. If you don't like it and want to stick to Marshall, try a VS100, 8100, or Mosfet 100 instead.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of SS amps out there that truly suck, but this isn't the rule like it used to be. The JMD is a hybrid that kicks ass for Marshall sounds, and the Fender Mustangs do great Fender sounds.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm honestly a huge fan of the Frontman and the Randall Commander for clean sounds. They're both like budget, SS Fender Twins.

But I still think that the OP should pick... well... ANYTHING as a replacement. The AVT is flat-out bad. :ugh:

mtm105

Reaction score
Get the amp that you think you REALLY want. If you regret it, buy another AVT....Nothing ventured, nothing gained

I've got a CRATE flexwave head which I did another thread on. I bid $102 and won. Guy had it listed at his store for $399. It's an Xmas present for myself, so I can't play it, yet.....

Anyway, it'll be my go to head when I don't feel like running/burning tubes at home.

If not, I may give up SS forever, minus Marshall Lead 12 head.

hobbit1066

Reaction score
still waiting for payday so i can go collect my VS100R :D
once house is sold i have promised myself a new amp - looking at ENGL, Laney, Marshall, Orange and Vox, so far the Laney IRT is clicking the right buttons
but also like the DSL and Vox Night train G2

SteveGangi

Reaction score
Roland Jazz Chorus JC100. Nuff said.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I bought an Orange CR120H. It's a solid state rockerverb. Definitely and over achiever for a SS amp. Top notch. I tried the MG100CFX head. No good and not bad. The Orange is much better. I did score. 70s Earth Sound Research Original on eBay. I had this as a kid a long time ago. Pure analog SS but sounds pretty good. Very much voiced after a marshall.

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Don't sell at a loss. I'd keep any Marshall unless I absolutely had to give it up but if you paid more, keep it. Disposable amps can be worth some money down the road if it's still working. I don't know about the Ibanez as I've not used one. A few weeks ago you could have gotten a Jet City JCA22H for $279 at MF. Who knows, maybe if you asked they'd do it for you too. -Rod-

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score

I played a 150 that was EXCELLENT. the one you played must have been damaged (as we know is LIKELY in floor models at GC. or of course you just didn't like it which is completely feasible as well :rofl:) but I got some really good tones, much to my surprise, very DSL like though I've ONLY played that ONE. I had a VS80/40 or whatever that model is and it was excellent too, it was like a modified (for bias) 5150 with that marshall sweetness...... I was really impressed with that too. I think most of these amps are either duds or damaged (which is still a dud I suppose) that people find a disliking for as I found any well maintained marshall past the 800 series can get some fantastic metal tones (and others as well). same with the newer MG (not the carbon fiber but those are cosmetic really). I heard all this bashing and I always liked the MG's but once I plyed the MG4 line I was thoroughly impressed, very much in the vain of the DSL (and a bit darker yes but otherwise it was pretty much there). so I agree the tube hype is just that, HYPE. a shit tube amp (and there are MANY) would get me many awesome SS/analogue or digital amps of superior tone and have. I don't care what it is if it sounds and feels good.