Marshall Studio Series, which is the best?

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dmcguitar

Reaction score
It's not that I want an 800 to sound like a jubilee, the problem is I want a Plexi, 800, jubilee and modded variants... Can't afford, don't have room or a real need for them other than my own enjoyment:)

Not necessarily album tone chasing, but looking for 40 years of Rock history, and the best comprise to achieve the 70-80s sound. Kiss, Van Halen (sorry lol), gnr, rush, etc.

I want the impossible. Unfortunately there is no store that has all models to test, and there are always the m-inspired amps like Friedman, splawn, and the synergy modules..

The mark 5 does not hit the mark though (not looking to get rid of it, most of the time, though)

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
It's not that I want an 800 to sound like a jubilee, the problem is I want a Plexi, 800, jubilee and modded variants... Can't afford, don't have room or a real need for them other than my own enjoyment:)

Not necessarily album tone chasing, but looking for 40 years of Rock history, and the best comprise to achieve the 70-80s sound. Kiss, Van Halen (sorry lol), gnr, rush, etc.

I want the impossible. Unfortunately there is no store that has all models to test, and there are always the m-inspired amps like Friedman, splawn, and the synergy modules..

The mark 5 does not hit the mark though (not looking to get rid of it, most of the time, though)
Your best option, in a "newer" Marshall, is a JVM (IMO). If you're looking at used, a JMD:1, JVM, or maybe a 6100 LM.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

CODE!!!

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I regularly flip from my 2525H to my 2SV20H (both into the same 2x12 Greenback cab at home). Both have their uses and different sounds. I'm currently in a 2525H phase, but that's because I just bought a nearly new Gibson SG and it sounds fantastic through the 2525H.

SG & MJ.jpg

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The title of the post reads "Which is the best". I'd have to say, just based on history, iconic stature, and how it fills a need, the SC20 is probably the amp "I" would rate as the best "Studio" series amp. The SV20 being 2nd, mainly because it still requires an attenuator, like its bigger brothers, and then the Jubilee, as it seemed to have less of the spotlight, compared to the other 2 models. Just my opinion.

abkeller1

Reaction score
None that I am aware of. If you ran the entire preamp section of the Jubilee into the SC20's power amp section, it still would not sound like a Jubilee. The power amp section of these amps are very different. The Jubilee is much more like the DSL than the SC20 in the power amp section.
This statement is false. The power amp of the Jubilee is like an 800. The Jubilee came out in 1987. It's based off the 800. It even says in on Marshall's website. The first DSL didn't come out until either 1998-99. Do your research.

abkeller1

Reaction score
The title of the post reads "Which is the best". I'd have to say, just based on history, iconic stature, and how it fills a need, the SC20 is probably the amp "I" would rate as the best "Studio" series amp. The SV20 being 2nd, mainly because it still requires an attenuator, like its bigger brothers, and then the Jubilee, as it seemed to have less of the spotlight, compared to the other 2 models. Just my opinion.
Can't base it on the original amps. Because the SC20 does not sound the same as the original. It's close but not the same. The Jubilee does sound the same because Marshall says they are using the exact preamp as the original. I've listened to old and new and it's true. The SC20 has more treble with less bass and has less punch than the original 800. Without a pedal i think it's not that good. With an SD-1 sounds killer.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
This statement is false. The power amp of the Jubilee is like an 800. The Jubilee came out in 1987. It's based off the 800. It even says in on Marshall's website. The first DSL didn't come out until either 1998-99. Do your research.
I have! I own both the Mini Jubilee and the SC20H. I ran a JMP-1 preamp into both amps FX returns...………..research completed. My statement is true!

abkeller1

Reaction score

It really does suck the way no place display's them anymore. You have to buy it and if you don't like it return it. Imagine buying a car that way? Oh. Carvana

abkeller1

Reaction score

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Uh...., no it's not true. do you think Marshall is lying on their website. The DSL wasn't even invented in 1987. Geez. Here's the link to Marshall's website. https://marshall.com/live-for-music/history/history-of-the-silver-jubilee
Look at the list in my signature....I think I might have a bit of knowledge with these amps. I also own an IR company that made IRs using tube power amps as well as SS amps. Of those amps....Mini Jubilee, DSLs and many others were used. So, don't just think because the marshall site makes a statement that it means that is reality. The Jub is the "next in line after the 800" but that is about it. Ask any guy on this site if the Jubilee is "like' the 800 electronically....Nope! Totally different design than an 800.

abkeller1

Reaction score
Your best option, in a "newer" Marshall, is a JVM (IMO). If you're looking at used, a JMD:1, JVM, or maybe a 6100 LM.
A JVM wouldn't work to get that old school Marshall tone. It's way to modern voicing. I have a 2204 & my other guitarist in my band has a JVM2015c. They sound nothing alike. However they compliment each other when we play.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Can't base it on the original amps. Because the SC20 does not sound the same as the original. It's close but not the same. The Jubilee does sound the same because Marshall says they are using the exact preamp as the original. I've listened to old and new and it's true. The SC20 has more treble with less bass and has less punch than the original 800. Without a pedal i think it's not that good. With an SD-1 sounds killer.
If you're talking about the mini Jubilee, it doesn't sound any more like it's larger version than the SC20 sounds like it's larger version, they're low wattage amps. They're as close as one could expect, given their size.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
A JVM wouldn't work to get that old school Marshall tone. It's way to modern voicing. I have a 2204 & my other guitarist in my band has a JVM2015c. They sound nothing alike. However they compliment each other when we play.
If you already have a 2204, and you're complaining about the way the SC20 and JVM sound, not sure what it is you're looking for.

AlboK

Reaction score
Well after now owning all three, SV20H, 2525H and the SC20H I should be able to at the least give my opinion.

The SV20H: At first I was jumping the channels. After some time I believe I like it best just into the treble ch and hitting it with a boost and an OD. Just sweet and raunchy plexi tone. This is my favorite for lead playing. The power amp on this sings so well. At 4 on the volume you are at full power. More volume and it just compresses more. If you like the plexi tone and want a bedroom amp, then get this one along with a Weber Mini Mass attenuator. Perfect combination. All of your favorite Marshall classic rock tones are in there. Don't fall for the, "using a volume box in the loop to tame the thing" myth. You will miss out on all the glorious power amp saturation this amp has to offer. Get an attenuator!

The SC20H: With a Master Volume, you will quickly think this one isn't as loud as the SV20H. That is a bit misleading. This gets loud very quickly on the MV. You can play this amp at very low MV settings but 4-6 on the MV is where this one shines. This amp definitely has the DNA of it's predecessor. With the preamp gain over 4 it reminds me of the SV if ran jumped and you start adding in the Normal ch. Can get kind of mushy at higher gain levels. I like this one with the preamp gain at 4 and the MV about noon. I also like to hit it with a boost and OD just like the SV. They sound different though. This SC has a bit more of a scooped midrange. For lead playing this one can sing as well but with just a little less creaminess. This amp is just a little more aggressive sounding. The perfect hard rock amp. If you want to add a little more aggression and clarity: put a BBE in the loop.

The 2525H: This one is the retarded savant step brother of the 800, lol! Out of the box, with a MV this could possibly be appealing to bedroom players. But, you would be wrong. This amp likes one thing and one thing only. Put the Lead master and the master volume on 7! No need for any boost or OD pedals but it will take them well if you want. Set this one on the clean setting and you get a great clean sound that the other two don't have. Crank the gain on the clean ch and it will give you some glorious blues tones. It does have a pull "rhythm clip" that is the retarded part, IMHO. Not very useful unless used on the clean ch and you want a bit of fuzz sound. With the "77" gain setting this will sing very well and you will understand why Slash likes this amp. For versatility, this one wins by a long shot. Killer clean, killer high gain and killer blues tones are all here.

So, which one is the best?

Well, all three of course! There is no winner. They all sound killer and it would be a shame to own just one. Three beautifully voiced Marshall amps that any Marshall amp guy should want to own.

I also own the DSL 20 HR. TBH, if they would have added that one to this Studio series it would fit right in.

We all want to know, will there be a "Studio Modern"? I think if they took the OD 1 ch mode B and the clean ch of the 6100LE that would make one awesome sounding edition to the Studio line. In Blue and Gold as well!

Since Marshall added the 2525H to this Studio line, maybe they should do a Vietnam version and switch the DSL 20HR to that one and maybe call it the "Studio B" series?? They could add a Mini JCM 900, maybe a Mini JVM and revamp the Origin 20 and throw that in as well.
Was thinking of selling my 2525h for the SC20 someone wants to buy it but i'm a little nervous. I don't care so much for the darker tone. But it's much more versitile than the SC20h.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Well after now owning all three, SV20H, 2525H and the SC20H I should be able to at the least give my opinion.

The SV20H: At first I was jumping the channels. After some time I believe I like it best just into the treble ch and hitting it with a boost and an OD. Just sweet and raunchy plexi tone. This is my favorite for lead playing. The power amp on this sings so well. At 4 on the volume you are at full power. More volume and it just compresses more. If you like the plexi tone and want a bedroom amp, then get this one along with a Weber Mini Mass attenuator. Perfect combination. All of your favorite Marshall classic rock tones are in there. Don't fall for the, "using a volume box in the loop to tame the thing" myth. You will miss out on all the glorious power amp saturation this amp has to offer. Get an attenuator!

The SC20H: With a Master Volume, you will quickly think this one isn't as loud as the SV20H. That is a bit misleading. This gets loud very quickly on the MV. You can play this amp at very low MV settings but 4-6 on the MV is where this one shines. This amp definitely has the DNA of it's predecessor. With the preamp gain over 4 it reminds me of the SV if ran jumped and you start adding in the Normal ch. Can get kind of mushy at higher gain levels. I like this one with the preamp gain at 4 and the MV about noon. I also like to hit it with a boost and OD just like the SV. They sound different though. This SC has a bit more of a scooped midrange. For lead playing this one can sing as well but with just a little less creaminess. This amp is just a little more aggressive sounding. The perfect hard rock amp. If you want to add a little more aggression and clarity: put a BBE in the loop.

The 2525H: This one is the retarded savant step brother of the 800, lol! Out of the box, with a MV this could possibly be appealing to bedroom players. But, you would be wrong. This amp likes one thing and one thing only. Put the Lead master and the master volume on 7! No need for any boost or OD pedals but it will take them well if you want. Set this one on the clean setting and you get a great clean sound that the other two don't have. Crank the gain on the clean ch and it will give you some glorious blues tones. It does have a pull "rhythm clip" that is the retarded part, IMHO. Not very useful unless used on the clean ch and you want a bit of fuzz sound. With the "77" gain setting this will sing very well and you will understand why Slash likes this amp. For versatility, this one wins by a long shot. Killer clean, killer high gain and killer blues tones are all here.

So, which one is the best?

Well, all three of course! There is no winner. They all sound killer and it would be a shame to own just one. Three beautifully voiced Marshall amps that any Marshall amp guy should want to own.

I also own the DSL 20 HR. TBH, if they would have added that one to this Studio series it would fit right in.

We all want to know, will there be a "Studio Modern"? I think if they took the OD 1 ch mode B and the clean ch of the 6100LE that would make one awesome sounding edition to the Studio line. In Blue and Gold as well!

Since Marshall added the 2525H to this Studio line, maybe they should do a Vietnam version and switch the DSL 20HR to that one and maybe call it the "Studio B" series?? They could add a Mini JCM 900, maybe a Mini JVM and revamp the Origin 20 and throw that in as well.

@Michael Roe - I know this thread is a little old but just curious, what is the 'BBE' that you refer to as being in the loop of the SC20H? Thanks.

Latest posts