Marshall SV20 similar amp ( clean)

• Thread starter Mika555
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mika555

Reaction score
Hello people.
I'm looking for an amp to asociate with my boss OD200 distortion/overdrive pedal (for the crunch, rock, métal tones). The amp has to be played ONLY in clean mode. I have tried the Marshall SV20 with a 2x12" wintage 30 speaker cab. That's what exactly what I want
(input 2, the warmest of the two).

Only problem.....the no-existing master volume on the SV20.....and that's why I have search some equivalent. Please don't tell me SC20....he's not warm enough. I need a very warm clean amp lIke the SV20. I think the victory V40 could suits good. I wrote to victory and he advices me to try the v40. Some of you have try something equivalent?

Why did I say "not the SC20"? Because my distortion give me the right thing for metal and crunch. But for clean ONLY CLEAN I need something great (the amp in clean and a reverb pedal, nothing more)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello people.
I'm looking for an amp to asociate with my boss OD200 distortion/overdrive pedal (for the crunch, rock, métal tones). The amp has to be played ONLY in clean mode. I have tried the Marshall SV20 with a 2x12" wintage 30 speaker cab. That's what exactly what I want
(input 2, the warmest of the two).

Only problem.....the no-existing master volume on the SV20.....and that's why I have search some equivalent. Please don't tell me SC20....he's not warm enough. I need a very warm clean amp lIke the SV20. I think the victory V40 could suits good. I wrote to victory and he advices me to try the v40. Some of you have try something equivalent?

Why did I say "not the SC20"? Because my distortion give me the right thing for metal and crunch. But for clean ONLY CLEAN I need something great (the amp in clean and a reverb pedal, nothing more)
How about a JTM45.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
He has a master volume and the possibility to have a 0,5 ou 5 watts mode for home playing?
No but its super clean, just keep the volume where you want it and get your gain from the pedal you talk about, same with the SV20 its super clean. Amps only get too loud when you overdrive them cuz they need volume to do that, in your case you wont be, youre keeping it clean which can be done at any volume.

Mika555

Reaction score
T
No but its super clean, just keep the volume where you want it and get your gain from the pedal you talk about, same with the SV20 its super clean. Amps only get too loud when you overdrive them cuz they need volume to do that, in your case you wont be, youre keeping it clean which can be done at any volume.
He problem is that if like to play louder, in band configuration, it's not possible.....because if I put the volume over 3 it begins to overdrive. And I don't want that.

Mika555

Reaction score
T
Sounds like you want and Origin20.
He origin was an option.....but my store tell me he is not selling him, I do not why.
At thoman.de we can find it but it seems that this model is discontinuated...that is what my store is telling me. You said origin. Yes an amp that goes in this phylosophy, that's what I bedded. Origin 20, victory V40 or V30 perhaps.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
T

He problem is that if like to play louder, in band configuration, it's not possible.....because if I put the volume over 3 it begins to overdrive. And I don't want that.
These amps can get loud and stay clean, have you tried them? If you need a louder clean than those amps can offer look at the 50 watt 1987 or the 100 watt 1959.

Last edited:

Mika555

Reaction score
These amps can get loud and stay clean, have you tried them? If you need a louder clean than thos amps can offer look at the 50 watt 1987 or the 100 watt 1959.
Yes I have tried the SV20 on a 2x12" cab. Over 3 volume, it saturated. In a band this is not enough.

junk notes

Reaction score
Have you tried trying out different preamp tubes? Taking it a step down in V1 with a 12Au7 or 12At7? That should tame the stock 12Ax7 breakup a little.

Mika555

Reaction score
Have you tried trying out different preamp tubes? Taking it a step down in V1 with a 12Au7 or 12At7? That should tame the stock 12Ax7 breakup a little.
No I don't.the amp was from my store and I could testing it for a week

ampeq

Reaction score
http://www.ceriatone.com/
Go here and look at all the different “clean” amps, there are ton’s of top notch straight up clean amps that would do a great job for you. You can also build to order a custom amp if you like. First thing to do if you want a great clean tone is stop looking at Marshall. Sorry. It’s simply not their thing.

Solid State

Reaction score
For clean, the SV20 is never going to work in a band situation. You'd do better getting a 50 watt Ceriatone

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
How about a JTM45.
My thoughts too. I used to have a Ceriatone JTM-45, very similar in tone and vibe to my current SV20H, but much more clean headroom indeed.
Or if it's still not loud enough, a 1959. In this day and age, I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which these wouldn't be enough.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I have the SV20 and a Suhr PT15. The PT15 can do Plexi and more. It has a clean channel that stays clean at volume. The PT15 sounds exactly what you’re looking for. Downside is price.

Mika555

Reaction score
Guys....I talk about a little amp for home playing....5 to 20 watts max..... And you came with amps around 3000€....

Latest posts