• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Vs Friedman Vs Others?

CJ3X

Reaction score
Hey all!
This is my first post on this forum, though I've snooped around for a while.

I'm looking for a new head to do pop punk / rock / post-rock stuff.
Like The Story So Far to Balance and Composure.

I have an Orange Rockerverb 100, and while I like it, and I'm pretty sure its what both of the band listed above use, I feel like I want more clarity. I like the tone, but it's too "squishy" or "muddy" for me.

Anyway, I tried out the Friedman Runt 50 and A/B'd it with the Orange and it sounded amazing!
I was also looking at the JCM800 2203 reissue, and I'm open to any other recommendations. Ceriatone? Splawn? Something else?
Anyone have any ideas, pros/cons, or experience with any of these?

Also, for what it's worth, I usually keep the gain relatively low (not clean though, more like a crunch) and use a TS808 in front. I also use a good amount of effects, so an FX loop is a must (hence the reissue)!

Thanks in advance!

CJ

Last edited:

EndGame00

Reaction score
Most Splawn amps are based on hotrodded Marshall. ChillPhil owns one so he's probably the best member to ask regarding pros and cons of Splawn.

There are several Ceriatone owners here.

Some people would recommend the 2203 reissue if fx loop is a must, it's boost pedal friendly.

While your rockerverb is a different animal from the Runt, does the Runt covers the ground you're looking for?

You might want to look into SmallBox50 since its more "classic" voicing than the BE100. I actually preferred the Smallbox over BE when I test drove both amps in GC.

CJ3X

Reaction score
I actually loved the Runt, but I can't find any used and I'm not stoked to pay almost 2k when there are JCM reissues for around 1300. I might go for it anyway.

How does the Smallbox compare to the Runt?

CJ3X

Reaction score
I just don't like how muddy the Orange is, but I don't love the fizz in a Marshall. I felt like the Runt was right in the middle with all of the right qualities, but I haven't played any other Friedmans, or any Splawn or Ceriatone so I'm wondering if there's another amp I should try!

EndGame00

Reaction score
There are a few music stores that carry Splawn brand, but they're mostly built to order. Ceriatones are built to order.

I've not seen Runt in GC in my neighborhood so I have not have the chance to try one.

Del Rei

Reaction score
Well, I have a Friedman Smallbox, and for that classic/hard rock tone, this is it. Really. And the fx loop is very clear.
But never player the Runt or any other brand you mentioned.

Actually, in my opinion, Friedman is a improved Marshall, without that fizz.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey all!
This is my first post on this forum, though I've snooped around for a while.

I'm looking for a new head to do pop punk / rock / post-rock stuff.
Like The Story So Far to Balance and Composure.

I have an Orange Rockerverb 100, and while I like it, and I'm pretty sure its what both of the band listed above use, I feel like I want more clarity. I like the tone, but it's too "squishy" or "muddy" for me.

Anyway, I tried out the Friedman Runt 50 and A/B'd it with the Orange and it sounded amazing!
I was also looking at the JCM800 2203 reissue, and I'm open to any other recommendations. Ceriatone? Splawn? Something else?
Anyone have any ideas, pros/cons, or experience with any of these?

Also, for what it's worth, I usually keep the gain relatively low (not clean though, more like a crunch) and use a TS808 in front. I also use a good amount of effects, so an FX loop is a must (hence the reissue)!

Thanks in advance!

CJ

Squishy muddy is a good description for a lot of Oranges. I have an Orange Thunderverb 50 and I have a recommendation for you. Put a Boss SD-1 OD in front of your amp (can also be done with a MXR ZW OD), turn the level and tone knob all the way up and turn the drive knob all the way down. Leave it permanently on for both channels, it will eq the amp tone to sound more like the amps you've listed. I don't mean to discourage you from getting another amp cuz all those amps you listed are awesome but this simple fix will cost you practically nothing! Try this and let us know what you think. Also depending on my settings I will use a Boss GE7 eq after the SD-1 to fatten the tone more just a hair when I'm on my high gain channel.

Last edited:

CJ3X

Reaction score
Hey pedecamp, that's exactly what I do with my overdrive pedals. I've played around with a few different Ibanez's, but right now I'm using a ts808 with the drive on 0, volume all the way up, and tone in the middle. It definitely helps, but I think I want something a bit tighter.

I played the JCM reissue today and actually really liked it, but I'd need an attenuator I think. I can't imagine I'd ever go past 3. Another tally for the Runt at 50 watts...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey pedecamp, that's exactly what I do with my overdrive pedals. I've played around with a few different Ibanez's, but right now I'm using a ts808 with the drive on 0, volume all the way up, and tone in the middle. It definitely helps, but I think I want something a bit tighter.

I played the JCM reissue today and actually really liked it, but I'd need an attenuator I think. I can't imagine I'd ever go past 3. Another tally for the Runt at 50 watts...
Heres the deal with the JCM800 and I love mine by the way, I cant turn the volume higher than 1 at home and in a band I might go to 2. Ultimately you would use pedals to get reasonable volumes you don't need an attenuator, I experimented with both and there's no sound difference IMO so why spend the bucks on an attenuator especially if you already have a bunch of pedals is my thought. You might look at some of the master volume Marshalls like the JVM or DSL for instance, these amps get great tone at all volumes. Oh, and back to your Orange, with the right pedals you can tighten it up and brighten it to boot, like I was saying I get exactly that with a couple Boss pedals. What cab/speakers do you use, that could make a difference.

Del Rei

Reaction score
Considering JCM800... I really suggest you to try the Smallbox. It sounds amazingly beautiful at very low volumes without that fizz.

And... Yeah... It is loud. No more than 1 at home. At shows I use on 3.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I just don't like how muddy the Orange is, but I don't love the fizz in a Marshall. I felt like the Runt was right in the middle with all of the right qualities, but I haven't played any other Friedmans, or any Splawn or Ceriatone so I'm wondering if there's another amp I should try!

I'm eyeing Friedman as well but can't justify it to even myself until I sell off more kit. I have Rockerverb and 2203X and had a Splawn Competition. People rave about Splawn but my experience is it's an ok hotrodded Marshall clone. Well built but the tone is only ok to me. I kept it about year, changed tubes, but never really found it with that amp. The Rockerverb I have (MKI 50W) is a 2x12 combo matched to Celestion V30s. It's definitely not muddy or fizzy. Just a great sounding and versatile amp. It's one of those amps I'd never sell as it was instant smiles the moment I first plugged in. The EQ on my amp is very sensitive so you might want to check on that. It has a lot more gain than the JCM800 2203X. I played my my 2203X for about 2 hours today. It really has that classic feel and sound.

If you like the ROCKERVERB I suggest you look at your eq, speakers, tubes etc. What speakers are you using? You should be able to dial in killer tones if the amp is operating correctly. It can definitely do the tones you want.

rick16v

Reaction score
I agree with the rockerverb comments. V30/t75 mix, a Timmy or spark booster in front of it, an eq in the loop. Tight, bright. :naughty: