• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall's answer to the Badlander

• Thread starter MarcOfWar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarcOfWar

Reaction score
I think i didnt get my point accross the right way. All i wanted to say was that marshall is way overdu for a new strong line of amp that would compete against some of the newer amp, not necessarily in terms of technology, but in marshall's own way of building amp according to their fans.

BftGibson

Reaction score
There is a time for Marshall

there is a time for Mesa

the is a time for Orange

there is a time for Fender

there is a time for Vox

had 13 Marshall's last year at this time talk about being boxed in creative wise..what..mod ..boost....vintage ..clones..same ol same ol.. love the M's but soon as i got the others the creativity exploded..then many cabs to sit them on, more explosion....choice is good ..none is better but dont take my 50 caliber +..no way.. that is when the tide turned

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you see that kind of opinion is pretty crappy and doesnt reflect reality in any possible way exept in your head, which is important only for you i guess

Wait....you mean his opinion is pretty crappy and doesn't reflect reality, and yours does? I'm guessing you've got some kind of cosmic importance that the rest of us don't enjoy.

My opinion is that Marshalls and Mesas are both great. I've spent many hours with both and that's my take on it. Tell me... Is my opinion crappy too? It's ok to be honest. And I think your opinion is childish and naive, and was expressed in a shitty way.

trax1139

Reaction score
Well, my crappy, non reality reflecting opinion is that a good old fashioned Marshall JTM45 with a couple of the right stomp boxes, in the hands of the right player, can cover anything from Classic Country to whatever you want to call the latest Rock craze. Most of these 12 channel fizzlewizzer amps with the satellite controlled microfarad adjusters are so narrow in their abilities, comparatively speaking. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...master volumes ruin everything.

MarcOfWar

Reaction score
Wait....you mean his opinion is pretty crappy and doesn't reflect reality, and yours does? I'm guessing you've got some kind of cosmic importance that the rest of us don't enjoy.

My opinion is that Marshalls and Mesas are both great. I've spent many hours with both and that's my take on it. Tell me... Is my opinion crappy too? It's ok to be honest. And I think your opinion is childish and naive, and was expressed in a shitty way.
I know a shitty opinion when i see one and i can add yours to my list.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Honestly what Mesa started with the Rectifier series has never been matched by Marshall, in my opinion.

However, I'm not a fan of the style of playing that the Rectifier series caters to. I'm NOT into drop tuned knothead metal. It bores me in seconds.

I've heard demos of the Badlander, though, and I have to admit that for that genre of guitar playing, it's spectacular. Marshall will have to dig DEEP and bring in some amp designers that are well versed in the drop tuned tone category in order to have any hope of legitimately challenging the Badlander.

Right now, bang, Mesa just won outright in that category with the Badlander. To beat it will require some epic amp design work.

For my tastes, a modded Superlead is the GOAT. Greatest Of All Things. I have a Dual Rectifier, and it's fun but I like the Superlead just that much more.

The one Mesa that I don't own (I've had a number of Mesas and still have two)and truly want to get (again) is a blue stripe Mark III fully loaded head, preferably the long chassis type.
I had one for a while and it was the best amp I've ever owned other than my best Superlead, which is a completely different thing.

JohnH

Reaction score
yes but didn't we hear that Santiago is back at Marshall? Whatever we are waiting for will be well worth the wait...

MarcOfWar

Reaction score
Yeah so i had absolutly no intention of comparing the marshall to the mesa. It really is about marshall starting to produce some new high end gear. Cause we just cant keep on living with some old amp stories you know what i mean. Im the first one to love the tone of an old marshall. And examples of those tones are endless. It would be nice to get a brand new Marshall with all that tone with, or without some new options.

Neptical

Reaction score
But you see that kind of opinion is pretty crappy and doesnt reflect reality in any possible way exept in your head, which is important only for you i guess

..And make make sure to loosen your underwear, kiddo. I made sure to note from the get-go it was just my humble opinion.

I moved to Marshalls after playing my Boogie Mark IIIs for several years ( both of which I still own and quite adore for sentimental value).

On that note, GTFO with your fanboy attitude. You're a POS that doesn't belong here with the Marshall fam.

Last edited:

Timmy51

Reaction score
Last year at this time I had 4 Marshall’s and right now..none. I’ve acquired 3 Boogies in the mean time. Very cool stuff and very versatile. They’ve kinda opened up my eyes some. I don’t do rectos either. Just clean, blues and classic rock.
I’d like to see Marshall come out with something along the lines of the Fillmore series. I bet that they’d do well with it.

I’d still like to have a Marshall again though and just about an hour ago I was searching EBay looking through all the new and used choices. I don’t really see anything that catches my eye. Those 18 watters look nice though. Maybe after Christmas.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
The badlander is a great offering from Mesa for what I feel is their biggest demographic. It seems kinda like a one trick pony as in it caters to the heavy players. I am sure it could or is capable of more but I doubt many outside the heavy crowd will pursue it. The features are a step in the right direction as for advancing amp technology/features.

Now Marshall... They are like Fender or Gibson etc... They have their signiture product and kinda just rehash it over and over. I am not knocking Marshall because to be honest I see it like the Strat or Les Paul... Just doesn't need improvement really. The evolution is coming full circle for them, now I feel they can only innovate so much while staying true to their demographic.

Other brands will innovate, Marshall? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Drinkingdeath01

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just checked out the Badlander on Boogies website. Its everything I hate about the Recto times two. Flubby, lifeless and dull. This is just my opinion, yours may be different but for me, I'll gladly pass on the Badlander.

The Badlander isn't anything new, just a different Recto. To say Marshall hasn't been playing the same game by tweaking current and past amp series is silly.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
The badlander is a great offering from Mesa for what I feel is their biggest demographic. It seems kinda like a one trick pony as in it caters to the heavy players. I am sure it could or is capable of more but I doubt many outside the heavy crowd will pursue it. The features are a step in the right direction as for advancing amp technology/features.

Now Marshall... They are like Fender or Gibson etc... They have their signiture product and kinda just rehash it over and over. I am not knocking Marshall because to be honest I see it like the Strat or Les Paul... Just doesn't need improvement really. The evolution is coming full circle for them, now I feel they can only innovate so much while staying true to their demographic.

Other brands will innovate, Marshall? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
This, totally.
No point in diluting your brand identity to compete with other brands. The Studio series was (seemingly) very successful because it stayed on brand while offering something new. The MA and Code amps weren't, because they were branching into something that's different from what the market and their audience/audience expect from Marshall. No point at all trying to compete with M/B, Soldano or the Boss Katana, at the cost of massive R&D investments, while their current UK production line already has a hard time keeping up with demand.

StingRay85

Reaction score
I'd make the humble bet that none of those other brands are around in 50 years. Not 1. Those are called "flavor of the decade" amps. Jackson and
Gallien-Krueger had guitar amps too, a lifetime ago.

Mesa will be. Dont forget they were actually innovative with the Mark series, while Marshall only copied the Bassman :)

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Mesa will be. Dont forget they were actually innovative with the Mark series, while Marshall only copied the Bassman :)

Yes, Mesa for sure. Through self reinvention.

Last edited:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Marshall should do a JMP + hotrodded 800 + BF Fender in one head or combo . Wait a minute, I’ve already got one of those in the Friedman Runt 50 , silly me lol. Joking aside Marshall need to do more than just come out with a new version of the same amp over and over . Even if they just just made improved versions of the old amps with more features , wait I’m ending up back where I started again , lol .

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I just listened to the demo of the Badlander and can say like any other Mesa I've heard, it's awful. It will fail in all business ways. Which leads to ....

Mesa is forced to continuously market themselves to stay alive. Their name and products become dated and are subject to renewal. Marshall has never had to do this. Marshall has never really once ever had to do anything but be ...Marshall.

Fender and VOX too, in fairness. Mesa? ...another flavor of the decade amp company that will always carry the weight of self renewal.

In fact, that's what Mesa is trying to do with the Badlands ....change to adapt. They are due too since they all look like Limp Biscuit '90s amps.

:2c: (maybe 3, but the glyphs are even.)

Latest posts