mic choices- sm57 or ???

• Thread starter blues_n_cues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score

Roadburn

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the good old Shure bro.
Plus wider frequency range could make it pick up unwanted sounds or put emphasis on different frequencies.
SM's are in the same range as the average guitar+amp and a singers voice.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the good old Shure bro.
Plus wider frequency range could make it pick up unwanted sounds or put emphasis on different frequencies.
SM's are in the same range as the average guitar+amp and a singers voice.

yeah i'm just kicking myself because a while back MF had the sm57 & sm58 beta w/ cables & boom stand 2fer deal for $99 and i didn't jump on it..:mad:

bolide

Reaction score
The SM 57 is the go-to guy for good reason, but I am hearing good things about the Sennheiser 609, just a little more expensive than the 57, and the 906, substantially more expensive but with a built in tone thingy.

The buzz is that the 609 and the 906 can be laid over the amp itself with the capsule up against the grille cloth in front of the speaker without overloading or having excessive proximity effect artifact. That, and the capsule has a funky retro-Euro thing going on visually.

n.b. I don't work at Sennheiser, but I have friends who do, so this may color my opinion.
Still, you don't need friends in East Lyme to have a high opinion of Sennheiser.

Hamohapic

Reaction score
I use SM57, like the mic, cant go wrong with this. If you want to experiment you can try the other one, but i can speak on it. Never used it.

rjohns1

Reaction score
The cobalt series is not that very good from EV. I would stay away from them. I used to work for a school district, and the mics we would bring out for special events and school concerts were all cobalt series mics for the lower grades, and the high school had the higher range. The cobalts were horrible sounding mics. I would stay with a 57, these mics can't be anywhere near as good as an sm57 at that price, especially for two of them at $70.

Hayride13

Reaction score
One thing to look out for on the current SM57s and 58s is that they moved production a while back and are not what they were. Pick up one of your old SM57s and a new one and you've feel the weight difference. The new ones are just not very rugged at all anymore. I don't know if there is a big fidelity difference or not but when I received a new SM57, it felt like a Fisher Price toy compared to the old ones. I sent it back and went to Starving Musician and grabbed a working one out of the crate of them they had for $25...

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to look out for on the current SM57s and 58s is that they moved production a while back and are not what they were. Pick up one of your old SM57s and a new one and you've feel the weight difference. The new ones are just not very rugged at all anymore. I don't know if there is a big fidelity difference or not but when I received a new SM57, it felt like a Fisher Price toy compared to the old ones. I sent it back and went to Starving Musician and grabbed a working one out of the crate of them they had for $25...

you answered it.
i have a few i was just wondering about this deal- that said,,,
ya get what ya pay for now-hello china.:wave:
& thank you w/out the vaseline on ebay or CL...

demonufo

Reaction score

Hmmm, there's one hell of a lot of fake shure's on the market at the moment. I wonder if you got had?

Do some googling on fake sm57's and sm58's. There are some sites dedicated to this issue.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, there's one hell of a lot of fake shure's on the market at the moment. I wonder if you got had?

Do some googling on fake sm57's and sm58's. There are some sites dedicated to this issue.

i don't buy anything over the internet or GC or MF now.
i buy locally & pay more & they do it up right.:fingersx::lol::naughty:

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I have 20 year old and brand spanking new 2010 model SM-57's and I can say with absolute certainty that they are the same. Weight, size, color, and most important sound is identical. My guess is that you have either the counterfeit models like some have mentioned or maybe the lower level series? My 2010 tanks are just like my 80's tanks.

There was a shout out for Sennheiser. I have to give serious thumbs up to them as well. I have two Sennheiser mics and I hate to admit it but they are awesome. The guitar/instrument model is most likely better then my 57, I am just old fashioned. The other one is outstanding in everyway too.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I have 20 year old and brand spanking new 2010 model SM-57's and I can say with absolute certainty that they are the same. Weight, size, color, and most important sound is identical. My guess is that you have either the counterfeit models like some have mentioned or maybe the lower level series? My 2010 tanks are just like my 80's tanks.

There was a shout out for Sennheiser. I have to give serious thumbs up to them as well. I have two Sennheiser mics and I hate to admit it but they are awesome. The guitar/instrument model is most likely better then my 57, I am just old fashioned. The other one is outstanding in everyway too.

Roadburn

Reaction score
Pick up one of your old SM57s and a new one and you've feel the weight difference. The new ones are just not very rugged at all anymore. I don't know if there is a big fidelity difference or not but when I received a new SM57, it felt like a Fisher Price toy compared to the old ones.

(cut a few bits from the quote)

Microphones are very sensitive to damage. Do not throw or drop microphones.
I wouldn't want to use a mic which I know has dropped or has been thrown a couple of times in a recording studio.

No matter how robust it feels the important bits are prone to getting damaged!!!

Latest posts