Mixing m75 and h55 Speakers in parallel??

• Thread starter JTM50
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JTM50

Reaction score
Recently I, just loaded a vintage 68’ 1960a with a blackback m75 and m75 pvc Scumback on top, and a matching blackback h55 and h55scumback on the bottom.
It’s wired normally now and sounds great but I want to try something else.

I found this statement from Ted Weber:
Connecting two speakers in parallel is an old trick to smooth out speaker response and enhance the damping of either speaker. HIFI designers took it one step further by connecting two speakers of different sizes in parallel. A speaker has a large impedance increase at its fundamental resonance, and depending on the installation, this can cause the speaker to sound boomy or out of control. By connecting two speakers in parallel, particularly two speakers of different sizes with different resonant frequencies, each speaker will tend to quench or dampen the boominess of the other. Since no two speakers are exactly alike, even two of the same size, that damping will occur, however slight, for any speakers connected in parallel. For speakers connected in series, there appears to be less control, and more of what is called 'back EMF' from the speakers fed back into the output circuit. While that seems rather chaotic, many players prefer the series connection, as it gives them a more textured tone, enhanced breakup, and overall a more desireable tone for guitar work.”

Might be good for mixing these speakers…IMG_3843.jpeg
This is something I got interested in checking out Eddie’s 1984 reamping rig with his plexi and power amps. I always thought that live sound has something special and was so balanced and articulate across all frequencies. Am starting to wonder if it’s the damping factor of reamping those cabinets on stage. Has anyone tried this or prefers to run their amp at high impedance and then drive a cab with the higher current of 4ohms and parallel?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you want to parallel wire four 16 ohm speakers to a 4 ohm cab load, and then run your amp at a higher impedance setting?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow up question: are you talking about adding a re-amper to your rig?

HIFI designs, mixing resonance frequency and dampening "boominess" with parallel wiring don't exactly translate to slamming a 412 cab with a 50w Marshall.
Trying to emulate VH's live rig sound in your jam room with wiring configurations and impedance mismatching might also be a bit of a stretch.

Your speakers and amp are designed to run with matching impedance.
Impedance mis-matching will affect the tone, because of this variance from their intended design.
You may like the difference in tone, or you may not.
It will also add some degree of stress to the OT and power tubes running an impedance mismatch.

Adding a re-amper to present a matched load to the amp impedance may allow you to re-amp to a different speaker impedance, depending on the re-amper.

JTM50

Reaction score
Follow up question: are you talking about adding a re-amper to your rig?

HIFI designs, mixing resonance frequency and dampening "boominess" with parallel wiring don't exactly translate to slamming a 412 cab with a 50w Marshall.
Trying to emulate VH's live rig sound in your jam room with wiring configurations and impedance mismatching might also be a bit of a stretch.

Your speakers and amp are designed to run with matching impedance.
Impedance mis-matching will affect the tone, because of this variance from their intended design.
You may like the difference in tone, or you may not.
It will also add some degree of stress to the OT and power tubes running an impedance mismatch.

Adding a re-amper to present a matched load to the amp impedance may allow you to re-amp to a different speaker impedance, depending on the re-amper.
Yeah this is what I want to try, using my fryette power station to load the amp at 16, but drive the cab at 4. Just curious on the raw difference between the current increase, damping and emf characteristics.

Latest posts