Modern Metal Amps

• Thread starter ShatteredVitreous
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rudy v

Reaction score
Try a skrydstrup td50 the most silent high gain amplifier you have ever heard only for 5,712.oo€ or the armageddon this was made for matthias jabs for smaller gigs one channel more gain on hand than anyone will ever need for 3,451.00€

end user

Reaction score
Try a skrydstrup td50 the most silent high gain amplifier you have ever heard only for 5,712.oo€ or the armageddon this was made for matthias jabs for smaller gigs one channel more gain on hand than anyone will ever need for 3,451.00€

Only 5700? I'll take 6 of em!

Buzzard

Reaction score
Cmon $5700. Drop in the bucket. Can’t you just see the quality oozing from those knobs lol.

Rudy v

Reaction score
Yes a bit expensive but so are soldano and mesa ,friedman

Rudy v

Reaction score
Check out johan segeborn on you tube play a overdrive 50 and this is not a high gain amp something like a danish dumble

houseofrock

Reaction score
I have an Engl E650. It does exactly what I need for heavy tones.
Fireball, Savage would also be good choices.
Engl MetalMaster sounds promising.
Mesa Boogie does brootal tonez.
Diezel is a good choice depending on the model.

With your JCM800 I would try an EQ and a clean boost first. You might be surprised at what you hear.

Last edited:

Mika555

Reaction score
Hello all

Looking for a little advise.

I have been recording with my JCM800 and whilst I do love the amp for my hard rock, classic sounding grunge needs, it's not a very modern sounding amp.

I have tried the JVM, JS and none JS, on numerous occasions and just never managed to warm to it.

I watched John from Sonic Studio's comparison test of around 10 modern Metal Amps with him using his Ownhammer IR, and largely he made most of the amps he tested sound the same (that in itself was interesting) with the exception of the MT15, the Ironheart60 (I was shocked how good that sounded) and the Dual Rec which just had so much character.

So far from reviews I have looked at:

Mesa Dual Rec

These appear to be raved about in equal measure to being hard to get a good sound out off. I love the idea of the Dual as I do love the Soundgarden tone from there Mesa days, but I am worried it will be flubby rather than tight.

I do have the chance to pick one up for £880 if I go that route.

Marshall DSL

A guitarist we had in the band used one and i absolutely did love his tone. So much so I bought the DSL40CR and love that. My only concern is the fact it may not sound too far away from my overdriven JCM800 and I am looking for a slightly different voicing.

I also find the DSL range confusing as to which is best. The DSL2000 seems to be raved about but is known to have issues.

PRS MT15

This amp really intrigues me as it is raved about everywhere with the only complain being the volume taper and the fact it can sound a bit dry.

I am not sure if it's just because it is relatively new, but it does have my attention for tight metal.

That being said I went to watch Alter Bridge a few years back and his tone sounded like a wasps nest being attacked by hornets. The gig was so shockingly poor I never listened to them again.

Not only was the tone terrible, they are by far the dullest band I have ever seen but that's another story.

His album tone is great though.

Orange Thunderverb50

This was recommended on this forum as a good amp to mix with the JCM800 but I am finding a good one hard to track down. I have tried 3 on eBay that where in dreadful condition, to the point I wouldn't want to judge it based on the condition of these amps.

Laney Ironheart 60

Slightly Marshall voiced but this is also looking like a great amp too. This I may need to try out but not sure if "tight modern Metal" is what this amp is for.

EVH 5150iii 50watt rev 2

This is my latest obsession but apparently these are fizzy but do sound really good. They appear to be really cheap on the second hand market too.

I never want to return to Kemper and I see that the Quad Cortex is out soon. As I can't test an AxeFx I don't know if this should be considered. For all you modern Metal guys (I don't even know what I mean by that), is simulation more appropriate than tubes?

I don't even know what modern Metal is, the aim is to just not have a classic sounding metal amp, but something different.

Really interested in your opinions on the amps I mentioned and any other you can throw in the mix.

Also your opinions on digital over tube for recording modern Metal.

Cheers guys

Mike
Victory "the kraken"

Mika555

Reaction score
Test the Boss od 200 overdrive and a bbe sonic stompbox in the effect loop. You will get great brutal heavy tones. With a simple valvestate + these pedals the sound is bigger than every metal amp.it's amazing

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
Modern metal with your JCM800 is downtuning and EQing. Try going below D standard on your tuning and add an EQ pedal before the JCM800. Shape out a modern tone that way. No problem.

Mika555

Reaction score
Here....
Marshall valvestate only clean. No od or distortion. Guitar right in the Boss OD-200.

The two bbe sonic maximizers are in the fx loop. Trust me, on the video you filmed with smartphone, the level is limited (you can hear it) and when the bbe's are engaged, the sound is soooo big that you could mean I play a Mesa....but a Mesa with more attack, and less heavier, less muddy dirty.

Mika555

Reaction score
It's really not necessary to buy something expensive as long as you have a good base (jcm 800).
Eq and a modern distortion.

The good thing on this boss od 200 is the really awesome sounds and the possibility to choose an od for example od1...and ad a boost. There is so much possibilities. Look at the rabea videos on you tube.

JonSick

Reaction score
Here....
The two bbe sonic maximizers are in the fx loop.

That did sound pretty good to be fair. Even despite the phone audio quality.

What's the signal chain there? Do you go send > BBE > other fx > BBE > Return?

Mika555

Reaction score
Exactly.
Bbe, reverb, chorus, bbe

You don't have any idea how great that sounds.

The people that play the amp have laughing very loud, because the amazingness of the sound. They couldn't believe it...and the Boss od 200 is the greatest od pedal on earth. Trust me, normally I hate pedals. Really. But this one.....mamamia. I forgot....in the video I forgot to film with boost engaged. It was only the od....without integrated boost.

Mika555

Reaction score
I can make you another video later if you want. So I can show you in detail what this od 200 is capable to make with these boost options. For info, the guitar is a lespaul type guitar.passive pickup. A seymou Duncan TB14 (custom 5.... Not a metal pickup). All the chunk ad aggressiveness is from the pedal. The guitar has mahagony body with maple top and a maple neck.

Adieu

Reaction score
Here....
Marshall valvestate only clean. No od or distortion. Guitar right in the Boss OD-200.

The two bbe sonic maximizers are in the fx loop. Trust me, on the video you filmed with smartphone, the level is limited (you can hear it) and when the bbe's are engaged, the sound is soooo big that you could mean I play a Mesa....but a Mesa with more attack, and less heavier, less muddy dirty.

Speaker swap or hook it up to a decent 4x12

The Valvestate speaker is sh!te and the biggest bottleneck

Solid State

Reaction score
Check out johan segeborn on you tube play a overdrive 50 and this is not a high gain amp something like a danish dumble

Johan's channel is proof time and again that it's all about the quality cabinet and speakers. His 1980s JCM800 4X12 with Pre-Rola Celestions makes every amp he plugs into it sound incredible.

Rudy v

Reaction score
He play it through a 1×12 with a ev speakers