most stoner/doom sounding Big Muff variant

• Thread starter GibsonMarshallGuy47
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
I have a Big Muff from 1979 which I do not use . I also got a new one that is a Nano Big Muff . I have a MXR Distortion from 1994. BOSS FU-3 Fuzz (like this one ) I also have one of those Crossroads pedals . I have other ones that I can not remember ?
I'm curious about that 1979 Muff. if you no longer want it, would you consider parting with it for a price? what era is that Muff?

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
The Russian green has always been my favorite for stoner since it has slightly more bass than the others, well maybe more is not the correct term, but the low end is bigger and fuzzier and that makes it great for stoner riffing. The current NYC version is not bad either. I won't ever sell my green Muff but if I didn't have one, I'd be happy with the current version

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
What band / song is an example of stoner / Doom?

I have an old op amp one from 1978 (smashing pumpkins) and a Rams head reissue. I love the violin sustain but I wish they had a wet / dry pot.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have a Big Muff from 1979 which I do not use . I also got a new one that is a Nano Big Muff . I have a MXR Distortion from 1994. BOSS FU-3 Fuzz (like this one ) I also have one of those Crossroads pedals . I have other ones that I can not remember ?

Are you talking about that old Digitech Crossroads pedal? I've always wanted one of those sooooo bad, but have been afraid I'd be disappointed, so I've somehow managed to hold off. I really need to put that on my to do list before I die someday. If that's the one you are talking about, how do you like it?

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score

love me some Windhand. the guitarist (he used to be one of two guitarists in the band, but they recently scaled down to one) uses a Matamp head, previously used a vintage ProCo Rat as his main drive pedal, then swapped that out to an old one-knob op-amp Little Muff, and now I believe he uses an ancient Green Russian Big Muff.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Are you talking about that old Digitech Crossroads pedal? I've always wanted one of those sooooo bad, but have been afraid I'd be disappointed, so I've somehow managed to hold off. I really need to put that on my to do list before I die someday. If that's the one you are talking about, how do you like it?
Yes , very good memory ! I seen this pedal advertised in Guitar Player when it was first introduced and in the beginning it came with a Eric Clapton pick . So the one I got was used with the box but no pick and I got it from Dave's for fifty bucks . Pedal is nice and I wanted this pedal for the Faux Leslie sound . I need to pull this pedal out and mess around with it again .

Im247frogs

Reaction score
ok, is there ANYONE here that is an expert on Big Muff variants, that can actually answer my original question?
I'm going to suggest you call or email Josh Scott at JHS. He'd be the guy to know the exact history for sure, I'm only guessing he'd be willing to shoot the shit with you for 15 minutes over the phone.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
This kind of reminds me of a thread someone posted back a year or three ago…

ironically, he was a doom guy looking to start up a band and he had some thought or another he wanted to discuss. Well, my perception was the majority of the active participants here DGAF about doom, so I was making some “helpful” observation while (maybe) someone else would come along and add some things in the spirit of the thread.

I mentioned the pitfalls from direct experience that live doom could potentially be quite boring (notwithstanding the enjoyability of the groove in the car or at home). Well, he was having none of that. He was bound and determined to do his project regardless and my observations were not something he cared to dwell on. Now that was what he “really meant,” but it was not expressed until a page of back and forth about him arguing how all these established doom guys sell out that he finally shifted to not starting his thread to talk about all that, and by then, people seeing the first page arguments were weighing in on how doom is boring AF live and the poor bastard was probably about to hang himself w his own instrument cable in disgust over all this.

Lessons (reinforced)…

- Ask niche questions here at your own peril
- Help yourself as much as possible w specificity and clarity up front
- Be courteous and constructive when the peanut gallery misses by a mile
- Struggling against those contributing will usually backfire

I much rather discuss topics like yours here in what I perceive to be “a better environment of better guys,” but it’s a smaller, more limited group, so much of my nuanced questions are either asked elsewhere or attempted here with well-managed expectations.
I was gonna say the same thing as soon as I saw the first post. LESSON LEARNED.

Petrichor

Reaction score
One issue to be aware of with all Muffs is that the mids are really scooped, which makes them hard to use in a band situation. I love my old black Russian Muff, but I use my Rat a lot more.

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
Not a EHX product, but the Mooer Mini Muff covers the Big Muff sounds with a wide sweep in the tone control. It could cover the ground of several Big Muffs.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
One issue to be aware of with all Muffs is that the mids are really scooped, which makes them hard to use in a band situation. I love my old black Russian Muff, but I use my Rat a lot more.
some of them are a bit mid-scooped, yes. but I have seen some mods on EHX Muff pedals that incorporates a midrange knob, which I would most likely do if I had an original, vintage Big Muff.

Latest posts