most stoner/doom sounding Big Muff variant

• Thread starter GibsonMarshallGuy47
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
This kind of reminds me of a thread someone posted back a year or three ago…

ironically, he was a doom guy looking to start up a band and he had some thought or another he wanted to discuss. Well, my perception was the majority of the active participants here DGAF about doom, so I was making some “helpful” observation while (maybe) someone else would come along and add some things in the spirit of the thread.

I mentioned the pitfalls from direct experience that live doom could potentially be quite boring (notwithstanding the enjoyability of the groove in the car or at home). Well, he was having none of that. He was bound and determined to do his project regardless and my observations were not something he cared to dwell on. Now that was what he “really meant,” but it was not expressed until a page of back and forth about him arguing how all these established doom guys sell out that he finally shifted to not starting his thread to talk about all that, and by then, people seeing the first page arguments were weighing in on how doom is boring AF live and the poor bastard was probably about to hang himself w his own instrument cable in disgust over all this.

Lessons (reinforced)…

- Ask niche questions here at your own peril
- Help yourself as much as possible w specificity and clarity up front
- Be courteous and constructive when the peanut gallery misses by a mile
- Struggling against those contributing will usually backfire

I much rather discuss topics like yours here in what I perceive to be “a better environment of better guys,” but it’s a smaller, more limited group, so much of my nuanced questions are either asked elsewhere or attempted here with well-managed expectations.

lespaul339

Reaction score
The reality of it is no two fuzz pedals sound the same. Even ones with exact matching components and transistors will vary slightly because of the transistors. They are temperamental little bastards. Each one has little characteristics that will vary slightly. Room/ outdoor temperature will affect the tone as well on germanium ones.. There's too many variables to give you an exact answer with your question. Even the amp you're using it through plays a role. Also there's the whole silicon vs germanium thing as well. Both have different but similar characteristics.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

ironically, he was a doom guy looking to start up a band and he had some thought or another he wanted to discuss. Well, my perception was the majority of the active participants here DGAF about doom, so I was making some “helpful” observation while (maybe) someone else would come along and add some things in the spirit of the thread.

I mentioned the pitfalls from direct experience that live doom could potentially be quite boring (notwithstanding the enjoyability of the groove in the car or at home). Well, he was having none of that. He was bound and determined to do his project regardless and my observations were not something he cared to dwell on. Now that was what he “really meant,” but it was not expressed until a page of back and forth about him arguing how all these established doom guys sell out that he finally shifted to not starting his thread to talk about all that, and by then, people seeing the first page arguments were weighing in on how doom is boring AF live and the poor bastard was probably about to hang himself w his own instrument cable in disgust over all this.

Lessons (reinforced)…

- Ask niche questions here at your own peril
- Help yourself as much as possible w specificity and clarity up front
- Be courteous and constructive when the peanut gallery misses by a mile
- Struggling against those contributing will usually backfire

I much rather discuss topics like yours here in what I perceive to be “a better environment of better guys,” but it’s a smaller, more limited group, so much of my nuanced questions are either asked elsewhere or attempted here with well-managed expectations.
Same guy. He's cool. Just Kinda grumpy today apparently..:rofl:

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Same guy. He's cool. Just Kinda grumpy today apparently..
:rofl:

https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...r-a-heavy-stoner-doom-rock-power-trio.132015/

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I recall, the big muff is basically a clean gain stage, 2 soft clipping stages, then a final clean gain stage.
The tone stack cuts a decent amount of mids. Thats the basic overview/layout.

Regarding variants, I have no idea. I have one (NYC Version, circa 2004) and I tinkered a bit with it, and I ended up adding a switch to bypass the tone circuit. Pretty cool!

edit: I'm smoking this shit called Wedding Cake, it smells and tastes great. Indica dominant, I recommend it, GibsonMarshallGuy

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I'm more focused on different eras of the Muff.

So many jokes sprang to mind, but I'll spare you.

I have an old Russian one that's black with the yellow script I bought a really long time ago. I never got on with it, or any other fuzz pedals so basically I completely wasted your time reading this.

I'm sorry.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
So many jokes sprang to mind, but I'll spare you.

I have an old Russian one that's black with the yellow script I bought a really long time ago. I never got on with it, or any other fuzz pedals so basically I completely wasted your time reading this.

I'm sorry.
would you consider selling this to me? if so, let me know.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
to those here that have felt the need to hurl personal insults at me... please keep in mind that even though I've expressed frustration at people not following simple requests and answering basic questions (and rightly so), I have not stooped low enough to actually insult people here, nor would I ever do that. I hope the admins & moderators are reading these comments.