• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Must be a lot of us dying off...

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Lots of gear for sale in local classifieds around here , but it aint movin . Esp not Marshall heads / amps (JVM-DSL-JCM800-900 , etc ) at current Stupid high numbers like 3K+ ! Nor Mesa's at over twice what they sold new . Prices will have to drop cause no one is buyin the stuff . Not many of today's youngsters pickin up guitar . Plus the digital stuff is much more useful and affordable and it fits in for the few general mass who might be interested as a hobby . Not much action for gigging bands in bars anymore . Above all , yeah the boomers got old and the young dont want their way overpriced old stuff . Is what it is .

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
We saw it before covid and thought, fear mongering? How? Deagle changed it.. Then it became tough to find and deemed a conspiracy. Here it is.. https://www.algora.com/Algora_blog/...ge-the-holy-grail-of-influenza-research-and-b

Yeah, I remember when it was first posted years ago on another site I frequent from time to time, and the question of "why?" was all the rage. I'm not gonna speculate on that, but in regards to the thread topic, that's the first thing that came to mind. Definitely not a conspiracy, as I remember seeing it on their site. According to your link, those numbers have been radically adjusted, and I guess we'll only lose 54 million people now? Still not sounding very positive. I tried to get on their site, but it won't connect for some reason.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Plus the digital stuff is much more useful and affordable and it fits in for the few general mass who might be interested as a hobby . Not much action for gigging bands in bars anymore . Above all , yeah the boomers got old and the young dont want their way overpriced old stuff . Is what it is .
Agreed! Been watching the deterioration for a long time. Funny story. About 15 years ago Guitar Center in SJ,CA had a '66 Pinstripe Cab that was near perfect. It sat around for a long time before I finally worked out a deal on it. While I was talking to the manager of the store my buddy wheeled it directly in front of the door. He witnessed a lot of people walking in and out and not one person noticed the cab. In fact, they were walking around it like ants that aren't attracted to shitty bait. Many of them bolting over to check out the latest garbage that was being pushed at that time.

Playing the guitar and being creative today like the most notable icons from yesteryear, reminds me of a scene in The Incredibles. Buddy Pine, "Syndrome", wanted to be a super hero but he wasn't born that way. Frustrated, he created boots with Rockets so he could fly. He accrued a considerable fortune through selling weapons and ultimately planned on selling his products to the public thinking that if everyone could be considered "super", nobody could be. This reminds me of youtube. The mystical magic of yesterdays guitar heroes are gone. Now a 9 year old can do it. Tone shaping a vintage Marshall like never heard is over. I can replicate those sounds without an amp these days. Picking from low hanging fruit and a "right now" society is the norm these days and creativity that is equal to, or perhaps that rivals what was created back in the day is no more. Maybe a little here and there but overall there in nothing. Today, I get the most enjoyment and feeling out of music just like I did back in the day. I pull out my LZ II record, drop the needle and gaze at the album cover with imagination while the intro to Whole Lotta Love gives me a timeless feeling that is unmatched by anything on youtube. The older the stereo, the better..

Deftone

Reaction score
FWIW: I have amassed a decent size collection of Guitars (20) and amps (15) over the last 5 or so years. I figured they would go up in value and I wouldn't lose any money but even if they don't increase in value I had the experience of owning and playing them.

oldstrat

Reaction score
I try and buy stuff all the time, on CL, the worlds flakiest and shittiest place to buy, and some pussy flags my posts constantly. Ha Ha Ha. Like thats going to stop me!

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
I try and buy stuff all the time, on CL, the worlds flakiest and shittiest place to buy, and some pussy flags my posts constantly. Ha Ha Ha. Like thats going to stop me!
My uncle died and left me an old geetar...It used to be gold but the finish is all worn and it says Gibson at the top so it must be worth something? I have picture of him and my aunt when they got married in 1960 and he is playing it..! Anyways, I am hoping to take my family to Disneyland for Christmas so maybe we can work something out.

Is this you?

I bet this is how you really look when you show up....Mr. Haney

188026.jpg

thaynes

Reaction score
I picked up guitar playing later in life. The most expensive guitar that I have is an Epi Trad pro that has SD pearly gates pups. The other are all partscasters, but with quaility parts. None of them are worth anything to anyone but me. The only tube amp is a DSL 1. I also have a ampman and a 1x12 cab. I am probably about done with buying equipment, but may need a semi-hallow guitar. If I dropped dead tomorrow, this stuff is not worth the trouble to try to get top dollar for it. Send the partscasters to the local pawn shop and/or local GC for the name brand things

Rokinroller

Reaction score
When I was younger , I thought that I would retire and play in a wedding band on week-ends . Now weddings are rare and the few there are , the folks wont / cant pay for a band , rather they get / prefer free DJ from their friend playing the electronic stuff they like. Then also thought I could go do some Busking in the subway or parks ... thats not wanted or even allowed anymore . What a world . Def not what it was .

tallcoolone

Reaction score
And, there's gonna be some real fallout soon with these USA companies who've been catering to the baby boomers the past 3 decades. We're no longer buying $8K '59 reissue Les Pauls and $5K beat-to-hell reissue Strats and Teles, and we're pretty tired of 200 different models of Martin guitars over the past 20 years, now costing $6-$8K and beyond. Moreover, Marshall UK amps are out of the question for US buyers - nobody in their right mind in the USA is going to pay $1,600 for a fkn 4x12 speaker cab, in a time where the economy sucks, nobody gigs in bands anymore, and those who do are using smaller, more sensible, combos.
Amen but I'm not going combo anytime soon. Never go full combo man