MXR Custom Badass 78 Distortion! GET IT!!

• Thread starter matt3310
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bieling3

Reaction score
No need to do a demo...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tWsEr_4Prk[/ame]

Amazing amount of volume output on this beast!

jaek

Reaction score
hmm, tried out the other day into several Marshalls and wasnt impressed by it. at all. It just wasnt anything different then all of the other Marshall in a Box pedals. and the casing was horrible! It felt like a cheep piece of plastic....all my MXR pedals are bricks.....

V-man

Reaction score
No need to do a demo...

YouTube - ‪MXR Custom Badass 78 Distortion versus Distortion + pedal shootout‬‏

Amazing amount of volume output on this beast!

One thing that blows about the MXR 104 is some of the volume drop that goes with, but Gearmandude called it at the end. The 104 enhances what you have, whereas the badass supplies what's not there. Thus, it seems the '78 badass is not nearly the great choice for most marshalls (compared to what else you can use as a boost), as it might be for for a clean Fender or something.

I hated my M104 until I put it in front of my 1959RR (and fully get why he used that in front of his 1959 now). But at the end of the day, I can't see much justification to get the '78 badass, given a Marshall, and 2 or 3 building blocks (i.e. Tubescreamer, RAT, DS-1, or M104).

matt3310

Reaction score
I used mine with my Fender Bassman. Sounds heavenly! Def need to use it with a Clean amp for distortion. Not great as a boost.

With my bassman= Fender cleans, Marshall dirt!!!

stillwater

Reaction score
Can this pedal get the Ozzy-era Sabbath tone with the tone turned back? Just wondering. Maybe there`s a sound clip?

telemarshall

Reaction score
Picked one up today. Am lovin' it so far thru my Hot Rod Deluxe and '69 Champ. Gonna try it with my C5 here in a minute.. Lots of good dirt tones in this thing..

Badass_DSCN3946pb.jpg

Badass_DSCN3933pb.jpg

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
Yeah I like mine alot as an option to my sd1, if you have the low power switch on your C5 try this pedal with that it's good, my Sd1 tends to be a little too rowdy for that. It is a very usable pedal but IMO you have to watch how hard you drive it as you turn up the distortion.

telemarshall

Reaction score
Yeah I like mine alot as an option to my sd1, if you have the low power switch on your C5 try this pedal with that it's good, my Sd1 tends to be a little too rowdy for that. It is a very usable pedal but IMO you have to watch how hard you drive it as you turn up the distortion.

Unfortunately, my C5 doesn't have the new low power switch - it's one of the older ones - but nonetheless, this Badass '78 sounds great with the C5!

jwebb1970

Reaction score
This pedal also cleans up nicely with guitar volume knob twiddling & a lighter pick attack. Makes the rather sterile clean channel of a PV ValveKing sound rather fucking awesome.

lowinput

Reaction score
Sounds like 'marshall in a box'.
It def pushed the sound from my PC much harder. There comes a point when we have too much and the rest is not needed.

Vman's correct, Dist+ enhances what's there, the Bad ass boosts everything.
the other sound differences can be explained by the pedal having 'true bypass'.
[ you can roll the vol on the guitar back for cleans. ]- this might be handy, but today we can just 'click' to the clean sound anytime.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that blows about the MXR 104 is some of the volume drop that goes with, but Gearmandude called it at the end. The 104 enhances what you have, whereas the badass supplies what's not there. Thus, it seems the '78 badass is not nearly the great choice for most marshalls (compared to what else you can use as a boost), as it might be for for a clean Fender or something.

I hated my M104 until I put it in front of my 1959RR (and fully get why he used that in front of his 1959 now). But at the end of the day, I can't see much justification to get the '78 badass, given a Marshall, and 2 or 3 building blocks (i.e. Tubescreamer, RAT, DS-1, or M104).

if it's anything like the old Dist+ then the output really gets to crankin' around 2-3 0:clock on the knob.it's kinda like the old 2 stroke powerband,but we've discussed this in other threads on MXR pedals.don't try to set it like an SD-1 for output level.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the love for this '78 Badass Distortion pedal. Unless I just have a dud, it's harsh, thin and barely usable. Sounds like a cheap Fuzz pedal.