My 2nd Tele – Esquire build with Eldred wiring

• Thread starter BlueX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
Got my 2nd guitar build kit last year: Wilkinson 50s Vintage-T from StewMac. Nice wood with 2-piece center-joined alder body and maple neck, CRL switch, CTS pot’s, and Wilkinson pu’s and tuners. All parts supposed to be 50’s style.

Decided to build an esquire. I’ve seen many nice ones here on this forum. Got a 5-hole Bakelite esquire pickguard. Found the Eldred wiring when searching for info, and though I would try that.

Body colour is gloss butterscotch blond (BSB), and neck is satin amber, both with nitro paint from Northwest Guitars. Neck looks good, but body did not turn out as expected. Info I’ve found, in several places, states that alder grain is small enough for nitro to give smooth finish. Didn’t work despite 16 layers of nitro (2 layers clear sanding sealer, 2 layers BSB, and 12 layers of clear gloss). I will keep the guitar as is, for now. The 50’s style hardware and the BSB colour actually fit quite well with the rough finish.

For the Eldred wiring (see last pic) I got new control plate, switch, and pots. The tone pot has a DPDT pull/push switch so I can choose between two different caps in the “Eldred position” (position 3). I like this position on the switch. It changes the sound in a different way than the tone knob does.

Cap’s I’m using now
1 Switch in back position, only volume: None
2 Switch in middle position, volume and tone: 47 nF (473)
3 Switch in forward position “Eldred”,
a Push/Pull down: 5,6 nF (562)
b Push/Pull up: 1,0 nF (102)

Good quality kit, I think. Wooden parts look very nice, and everything fits well together. Easy to prepare the neck, and easy to set up once completed. Good quality feeling when using the guitar, except for the tuners. I’ve already replaced two but will probably replace the full set with another brand (one more tuner feeling strange). Any recommendations for good quality vintage style tele tuners?

I like the sound from this guitar, and it is fun to play. Currently have it in FACFAC tuning, working on Sped Spedding’s version of When The Levee Breaks (playing at 3:42):

50s Tele 01.JPG50s Tele 02.JPG50s Tele 03.JPG50s Tele 04.JPG50s Tele 05.JPG50s Tele 06.JPG50s Tele 07.jpg50s Tele 08.jpg50s Tele 09.jpg50s Tele 10.jpg

Last edited:

El Gringo

Reaction score
This looks like a winner for sure . Best Wishes and if you can please post a tone report after everything is set up . I am most interested in the "eldred" wiring set up !

BlueX

Reaction score
This looks like a winner for sure . Best Wishes and if you can please post a tone report after everything is set up . I am most interested in the "eldred" wiring set up !
Thanks!

It's the "3rd", front switch position that differs from standard Esquire wiring. This position uses the volume and a capacitor, but not the tone control. It rounds off the brightest part of the treble, but still leaves a rich sound. Different cap values give slightly different tone, but here I'm still experimenting. I like the tone I get from this position, very pleasant IMO.

Middle (2nd) switch position is standard Esquire with both volume and tone. I also have a 47 nF cap in that circuit. As with my other Fender, or Fender-type, guitars, the sound gets muffled and "distant" when I roll back the tone control. I struggle to get nice sound that way.

Back (1st) switch position is also standard Esquire, with just the volume control in the circuit. Very bright with the Wilkinson pu I have, but can be useful.

Here's one of the articles I found on this wiring. Recommends caps between 1 and 6,8 nF for the "3rd" position.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Reaction score
Thanks!

It's the "3rd", front switch position that differs from standard Esquire wiring. This position uses the volume and a capacitor, but not the tone control. It rounds off the brightest part of the treble, but still leaves a rich sound. Different cap values give slightly different tone, but here I'm still experimenting. I like the tone I get from this position, very pleasant IMO.

Middle (2nd) switch position is standard Esquire with both volume and tone. I also have a 47 nF cap in that circuit. As with my other Fender, or Fender-type, guitars, the sound gets muffled and "distant" when I roll back the tone control. I struggle to get nice sound that way.

Back (1st) switch position is also standard Esquire, with just the volume control in the circuit. Very bright with the Wilkinson pu I have, but can be useful.

Here's one of the articles I found on this wiring. Recommends caps between 1 and 6,8 nF for the "3rd" position.
I must say this is very impressive mod as I just finished reading the article you shared . I love mods like this that to the naked eye you can't tell anything is different as it's all on the inside of the control plate . Really makes me think . Thank You kindly !

BlueX

Reaction score
I must say this is very impressive mod as I just finished reading the article you shared . I love mods like this that to the naked eye you can't tell anything is different as it's all on the inside of the control plate . Really makes me think . Thank You kindly !
You're welcome! Yes, this mod fits the Esquire sonically and visually. Preserves the simplicity.