My Blackstar ht-5 needs new tubes

• Thread starter Guitargearfreak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

I've never changed the tubes of my blackstar, after 2 years playing it, I guess new tubes will be nice...

What do you guys suggest? I'd like a tube that sounds a little more bright than the stock tube, cause the only bad thing I can say about this amp is that, on the british side with the volume low, it sounds a little too dark.

At the tube store (I live in canada) there's 2 kits for the ht-5... what do you think?

Blackstar HT-5 - Value Package
Blackstar HT-5 - Premium Package

thanks!

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
Actually...that TongSol 12ax7 would brighten a dark amp up significantly. I tried one in V1 of my DSL and it made it brittle and fizzy/trebly. A dark amp it would help. As far as the EH power tubes, the gold pin business is for the birds. Id go for a mix of the two packages which the folks at the Tube STore would gladly do for you. Ive done business with them myself and find them to be extremely helpful and extremely professional.

Reaction score
Actually...that TongSol 12ax7 would brighten a dark amp up significantly. I tried one in V1 of my DSL and it made it brittle and fizzy/trebly. A dark amp it would help. As far as the EH power tubes, the gold pin business is for the birds. Id go for a mix of the two packages which the folks at the Tube STore would gladly do for you. Ive done business with them myself and find them to be extremely helpful and extremely professional.

nice input thanks

but why do a mix? the tongsol and the non-golden pin EH is already in the value pack.. :confused: did I miss something?

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
You wanna make the blackstar ht5 have more presence then trust me on this,

Buy an artec parametric eq pedal off of eBay £35.

I hate this amp without the pedal. This pedal makes the blanket come off of the amp and it's amazing! Really good better than any tube swap. Set it to woody sound as per manual, set level to nine and adjust frequency pot between 7-8 to suit guitar. Run in fx loop.

Get one if you want it to be awesome!

Maybe my tubes are shagged but stock I use to like till I got this pedal and now I can see how great it can be

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're still looking for tubes, I have several 12BH7As that test strong. IIRC this is the power tube that the HT-5 uses. PM me and I'll send you one for the shipping cost if you want to try it.