My Complete Rig

• Thread starter GibsonSlash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify if a 1981 JMP 2204 - 50 Watt has exactly the same schematic/guts as an early(1981-1984) JCM800 2204 - 50 Watt with Vertical Inputs?

steelhorse

Reaction score
I had the Slash LP and Epi and I posted in another thread or maybe here(?) that there was no comparison between the 2. The Epi felt like a toy to me so I sold it for a grand.

Pretty much anything would sound righteous through the 6100LM.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
my pal with the slash les paul (gibson) had it cranked on mt 6100 , he played the intro
to " sweet child o mine" it made the hair on my arms stand up. that guitar and pup combo sound great together .

steelhorse

Reaction score
my pal with the slash les paul (gibson) had it cranked on mt 6100 , he played the intro
to " sweet child o mine" it made the hair on my arms stand up. that guitar and pup combo sound great together .

What I do with my gold top is switch to the rhythm pickup to play Sweet Child O Mine. Couple that with the Vintage Modern and it's spot on imo

The alnico 2's in the Slash LP are quite nice, I just like Burstbucker Pro II's even more.

I'll post a pic or 2 later of the goldtop with the VM

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
No pedals in front of the VM?
I have to boost my JMP with a TS-808, then the Slash tone is nailed. :rofl:

I'll wait until I'm lucky enough to get an attenuator, then crank it up, and take out the TS-808.
What I do with my gold top is switch to the rhythm pickup to play Sweet Child O Mine. Couple that with the Vintage Modern and it's spot on imo

The alnico 2's in the Slash LP are quite nice, I just like Burstbucker Pro II's even more.

I'll post a pic or 2 later of the goldtop with the VM

steelhorse

Reaction score
I do have a modded DS-1 that after the pre amp tube change sounds yummy, but I don't crutch on it because the VM sounds great without the pedal.

Sounds good with it or without it, just gives me more tonal variety and boost if I want it.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Now I'm still digging about that VM.
If I bought one, that because of you, got brain-washed. :rofl:
But I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

What are the volume settings on your VM when you play it?
I had mine Master Vol 7, Pre-Amp Vol 1. That's it no more than that or cops would bust into my place. :rofl:
I do have a modded DS-1 that after the pre amp tube change sounds yummy, but I don't crutch on it because the VM sounds great without the pedal.

Sounds good with it or without it, just gives me more tonal variety and boost if I want it.

steelhorse

Reaction score
On the pre amp I have both the body and detail at about 8 and the master at 3

steelhorse

Reaction score
Here's a sucky shot but it should suffice:

vm2lps1500.jpg

marshall.vm2lps1500.jpg

psphill27

Reaction score
Great rig man! You're set for life. I've been playing a Les Paul through some form of Marshall for years now. There's no better sound...don't care what anyone says. Then again, it really boils down to what sounds best to our ears.

Congrats...treat those babies nice;)

psphill27

Reaction score
Sweet goldtop Steelhorse! That what I want to get for my next guitar. Any recommendations on which one to get. Keep in mind that I don't need divorce papers served up to me.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Thanks for the comps! Both rigs, the original setup at the beginning of this thread and mine are great imo.

phil, I don't know what to say about how to get a gold top without getting the big "D"

but if cost is a concern go with a classic re-issue. I've seen them on ebay for relatively decent prices, in the 1500-1600 range a few of them look pretty new too.

Mine is the 2008 Standard that's all tricked out:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson usa/products/lespaul/2008-standard/

MRSP is around $3900 but street price from an authorized dealer is around 2600-2700

I got mine for around 2300 on ebay here:

Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 Gold Top - eBay (item 140282987662 end time Nov-28-08 15:48:52 PST)

But he's not an authorized dealer so he will have to explain how the instrument will be covered. There is a work around.

Also he offers the MSN Live Search cashback as well so after 60 days if you follow the instructions and buy one thru his auction and pay with paypal (see info at the bottom of the auction page) you'll get 200 buck back as well.

I love mine fwiw.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

spooky joe

Reaction score
Great rig man! You're set for life. I've been playing a Les Paul through some form of Marshall for years now. There's no better sound...don't care what anyone says. Then again, it really boils down to what sounds best to our ears.

Congrats...treat those babies nice;)

Prefer a Strat myself.

steelhorse

Reaction score
I love strats too. I have a couple and they sound especially great through Fender amps naturally. I had to change the pups in mine to get it to sound decent through the Marshall's.

I installed Custom Shop Fat 50's in them and changed the wiring as well and that helped quite a bit.

The LP's the way I have them setup, the gold top has burstbucker pro II's and that crazy pots and caps that come with the 2008 standard and the one on the right has the chrome EMG 25th anniversary set with the pots and caps, I have a few others with WCR pups and caps and a few others with Bare Knuckle pups and they sound very sweet or ferocious thru my Marshall's depending on volume roll etc.

A Marshall and LP marriage is just meant to be, even stock setup just sound better to me than another guitar through them imo....

zslane

Reaction score
My Goldtop LP Standard was bought new 12 years ago at a Guitar Center for a little over $1300. It is a bit dismaying to hear how much even the street price of an LP Standard has climbed over the years. It seems to me to have raced ahead of standard inflation by quite a bit. Just my imagination?

steelhorse

Reaction score
Yeah they discontinued all but the 2008 Standards in that line. It is disconcerting but given the upgrades and the plek'd neck at least a portion of that seems justifiable, but double the street price from 12 years ago? I'm not sure about that but I wanted one so I paid, no regrets.

Shoot just about everything has doubled yeah?

zslane

Reaction score
Hmm. Let's look at the discounted price of a natural-wood, Ash strat (American-made) in a couple of years. If it hits $1600 then yeah, just about everything will have doubled.