My DSL 401 Special Edition has died

• Thread starter plasterman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

plasterman

Reaction score
Took the dsl to rehearsal tonite switched the amp on standby let the tubes warm up. Flicked the standby to on and it was sounding under powered so I checked round the back and one output tube was glowing red another was glowing orange and last two were hardly glowing at all.

I put the amp back into standby and went straight into the amp. Switched it back on and light smoke starts to come out of the back of the amp on the left hand side.

Anyhow shut the marshall down and used my pro jr to finish the rehearsal.
The plan is to take the amp back and get refunded and its good bye marshall.

amplifier

Reaction score
I've heard overheating is a common problem w/the DSL & TSL combos. That's a shame and unacceptable on Marshall's part.

plasterman

Reaction score
I've heard overheating is a common problem w/the DSL & TSL combos. That's a shame and unacceptable on Marshall's part.

Its a shame as i registered the amp on the Marshall website and got a letter from Marshall that gave me a free 3 year warranty. Its pretty poor that its the product thats the weak link.

The outcome is the shop has swapped it for a Fender HRD which I'm happy with,mainly cos i'm familiar with the sound and fits my Gretsch more than the Marshall did.

Still i would have loved to hear the dsl at high volume in clean. Ah well. :(

JohnH

Reaction score
Thats bad luck, but I hope the new amp works out. Sound like you got a lemon with the 401, generally the newer ones are fine.

John

fiftycalibre

Reaction score
... and its good bye marshall.

Sorry your having trouble.

I have had a DSL 401 for two or three years now and it has performed flawlessly.
It also sounds killer.

A mate of mine bought a Fender Pro Reverb about a year ago and has had constant trouble with it.

Lemon amps happen, don't write off Marshall because of one example.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it was a lemon then,
been playing mine for over 6 months
and never even had it over heat.

sorry about that

plasterman

Reaction score
Yea it was a lemon then,
been playing mine for over 6 months
and never even had it over heat.

sorry about that

The main problem was the shop only had one special edition so I would have had to wait for it to get fixed. As the amp had died already I would never have had confidence in it.

The heat issue didn't come into it as the amp died after only 10 minutes.