My First Marshall

• Thread starter zepplin490
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Bulldozer you might want to familiarize yourself with what you call crap and "modeling" I do not call preamps which contain the exact same circuts as the amps they are designed after and an all tube signal path "modeling" its more like replicating and if you actually listened to some of the sound clips from this "crap" on say salvationmods.com you might change you ignorant mind...
-mp-

If i want to call it crap i will. Thats my opinion. Dont get upset because i insulted your amp. I didnt insult you, so dont insult me.

I gave you advice, take it, or fuck off. It makes no difference to me.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ill happily fuck off and ignore your BS...
In other happier news ive got aline on a TSL 100 watt head with a few mods, Going to be putting a $300 deposit down on it and hopefully paying it off withint a couple weeks!
Im Psyched!
-mp-

zepplin490

Reaction score
Looks like my TSL dream is about to come true sometime soon.. ive got some gear for sale and Im hoping something sells so i can jump on this bad boy and bring her home!
-mp-

zepplin490

Reaction score
Moving some gear this weekend, stuff that has just been collecting dust.. gonna make a down payment soon on a TSL 100 Head... at a great price!
-mp-

zepplin490

Reaction score
Im wondering what everyone is running in their TSL's? Im going to be using it for some 80's hard rock and modern rock but im looking to do some metal too nothing extreme or downtuned (except a couple songs in drop D) mainly articulate tight melodic metal... I just put a set of EL34's into my Randall RM50 head and ive tried all 3 of my marshall based modules and they all sound much more authentic through the EL34's rather than the 6L6's in my other head..
-mp-

kamran

Reaction score
Bulldozers right. If that 5% that the randall modules lack bothers you (im sure its closer to 30% lacking) and youre going for an afd type sound then I dont think the tsl will cut it for you. Youre gonna get it and itll sound way better than your modeling stuff so youll love it for a few months, then realize that even though it sounds amazing (its a marshall afterall) its not the sound you have in your head. Id get an afd or a superlead with a ppimv

zepplin490

Reaction score
Well its not modeling in the traditional sense, and please let me remind you that I am not using the "Stock" modules that came out with the mts amps, they are custom hand made very faithful copies of actual amp circuts. The only place where they are not faithful is the PowerAmp of the randalls as that is the only static part of the system.
I have a sound in my head and from listening to dozens of clips from TSL's and Ive heard the amps get pretty damn close to it.. Ive mellowed alot in the past 5 years and dont really play alot of Super High Gain thrash metal, Im looking for a more classic tone but I want to keep the seperate EQ's for each channel, which is basically why i am not going for a jcm 800 I need a little variety in my rig. Im getting the TSL 100 and Im pretty sure ill like it if not Ive still got a nice backup.

If only the AFD100 had a clean channel I would be all over it...
-mp-

P.S. if you want to hear what custom mts modules sound like head on over here click on one of the mods and listen away.
Salvation mods - Modifications

zepplin490

Reaction score
I posted on RigTalk about the TSL and they are telling me to buy a 5150 III since it has my required independent Eq's for the channels.. I dont think I have the cash for one and I really like what the 5153's do but I dont think I want something that outright high gain..
-mp-

zepplin490

Reaction score
I checked out the various JVM's that are on ebay and the only one in my price range is the 1 watter which doesnt fit my needs and wants very well.. although there were some of the the older 4 channel models up for around $1,200 so maybe someday in the future...
-mp-

zepplin490

Reaction score
Yeah Im gonna check out what mods are available so far ive only checked out voodoo amps web site and read up on their mods for the TSL... I was watching demo's of TSL's on youtube and i ran into this one [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqxSl_VEPs]Marshall JCM 2000 TSL demo ( no stomp boxes or additional fx ) - YouTube[/ame]
in which the guy gets a huge variety of tones out of the TSL everything from nice cleans with reverb to great mid gain to all out scooped metal I was very impressed, espescially since most of the demo's have people running various boost pedals in front of the amp...
Put the down payment on a TSL this morning!
-mp-

custom53

Reaction score
The only problem I have encountered with my TSL 100 Watter is the footswitch.. You have to use the correct one and they seems to go bad if you don't take extremely good care of them..

zepplin490

Reaction score
Yeah Custom ive heard alot of that about the TSL footswitch, I saw a bunch of new ones on ebay so ill probably buy a backup through there unless i can find a new one elsewhere cheaper..
-mp-

zepplin490

Reaction score
So ive heard that Vintage 30's are great with marshalls and ive heard that they suck with marshalls, I am a big v30 guy and I was planning on grabbing a 1960a cab which is all v30's correct?
-mp-

Landshark

Reaction score
So ive heard that Vintage 30's are great with marshalls and ive heard that they suck with marshalls, I am a big v30 guy and I was planning on grabbing a 1960a cab which is all v30's correct?
-mp-

A stock 1960A has G12T-75 speakers. You'd be looking for a 1960 AV, which has V30s.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive heard that V30's and the g12-75's work great in an X pattern in a cab. I hear that they fill in the tone gaps for each other..
-mp-
PS LandShark did you read my last PM that i sent u?

zepplin490

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtyL4wRNrU]Marshall Silver Jubilee 25/50 - YouTube[/ame]
New Dream amp... OMFG the tone when the dude (who can shred) plays the lead to "bark at the moon" that tone is just undeniably perfect.. silver jubilee 25/50... I would love to have that amp even if its only one channel... that thing sounds good enough for me to just grab that ultimate marshall overdrive producing monster and screw clean guitar totally:)
-mp-

zepplin490

Reaction score
What is the biasing on a TSL like is it a single pot that adjusts the mv on all of the power tubes at once? Im used to biasing randall's where there is a seperate bias pot for each tube so u can easily use various sets of different tubes together, from what ive heard there is only a single bias pot on most amps. If there is only one bias pot where is it located and is it a screw that you just turn or what?
-mp-

zepplin490

Reaction score
What would the ideal speaker be for a TSL 100? Ive currently got two cabs one with Vintage 30's and the other with some type of b52 "custom 120 watt" speakers.. I absolutely love the Vintage 30's for just about everything and the b52 speakers are not quite as good as the v30's but have a bit more tight low end.. So I was considering selling the B52 cab and getting a marshall 1960A cabinet... Should I keep the cab with the V30's and just run the TSL through it or get a new 1960a, will there be a noticeable difference?
-mp-

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
Get the head, plug it in. Listen and judge for yourself my man. Lots a different flavors for awesomeness. Tone is subjective, good luck.