My Keepers... Share Yours!

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-Jethro, I'm a new fan of the Chinese made , neck throu, long tennon, has the filtering thing-(one click up from the bottom is awesome)-just like the original beasts from the 70,s , play great, sound great, and rhe $$$.. $600 new!! The 2 things i wish they had, more solid wood, exotic wood, so theres more girth, & mass in the body like the original's & the pre amp like the original mockingbird's-(this is the PRE-AMP that Brad Gilli's "supposedly" used back in the OZZY era & Night Ranger)-

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
-OK LES PAUL dudes-(don't have to say Gibson on it)-weight & body construction, bonus points for long tennon LP"s
Well they're all mahogany with maple tops, weight I would say:
1998 Standard = heaviest
2011 Classic Plus = lightest
2013 Standard Plus and 2016 Traditional = about the same as each other

;)

SG~GUY

Reaction score
Well they're all mahogany with maple tops, weight I would say:
1998 Standard = heaviest
2011 Classic Plus = lightest
2013 Standard Plus and 2016 Traditional = about the same as each other

;)

-dude!! heaviest to lightest is like women's clothes sizes, "oh I'm a 2" she says, I have no idea what it means, that 98 should be 10+. I like um heavy.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
-dude!! heaviest to lightest is like women's clothes sizes, "oh I'm a 2" she says, I have no idea what it means, that 98 should be 10+. I like um heavy.
Oh I don't think it's 10lbs to be honest. Actually I do know one of the weights - I bought the 16 Trad online so I know it's 8lbs, 13oz. Judging by that I'd say the 98 is probably around 9.5lbs or so. That sucker is definitely solid, though, late-50s neck profile and the rosewood and inlays are noticeably better than the later ones.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Both of my Grecs are maple cap on mahogany 2pce body (veneer flame on EGF850's cap), mahogany 1pce necks, each weighs around 4.5kgs (9lbs 15oz). Mint Collection Custom has long tenon and ebony board, both have MOP inlays. 68-80 Custom has '59 neck, EGF850 has '58 neck :yesway:

SG~GUY

Reaction score
Oh I don't think it's 10lbs to be honest. Actually I do know one of the weights - I bought the 16 Trad online so I know it's 8lbs, 13oz. Judging by that I'd say the 98 is probably around 9.5lbs or so. That sucker is definitely solid, though, late-50s neck profile and the rosewood and inlays are noticeably better than the later ones.

-that's surprising that a 98 would be less than 10ibs, my first Gibson, my first real guitar that my uncle, who played in a band, turned me on to HENDRIX and all kinds of bands, sold me for $400 or $500 in 1977-78? I'd been saving a little, stealing some, my mother through in $100...... Late 60's Gibson Les Paul Gold Top, I had it for a little while, but it had these funny little girl pick ups, I wanted DIMARZIO SUPER DISTORTIONS!! like ACE FREHLEY, thought about taking a wood chisel & carving tool to, but instead traded that old ugly thing in on a brand new Fender, and there brand new model, FENDER LEAD 1, and I didn't have to add money, ha!! Suckah!

-so I'll bet you, your 98 Gibson Les Paul weigh's at least 10lbs.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-yeah I know, Sam Viner, biggest swindler in town, you should of seen my uncle when I showed him my new guitar, then he asked how?....... he never sold/gave me anything again, from then on, no family discount, I paid retail, like everyone else, and he would bring it up every time he could rub some salt in the wound.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
-that's surprising that a 98 would be less than 10ibs, my first Gibson, my first real guitar that my uncle, who played in a band, turned me on to HENDRIX and all kinds of bands, sold me for $400 or $500 in 1977-78? I'd been saving a little, stealing some, my mother through in $100...... Late 60's Gibson Les Paul Gold Top, I had it for a little while, but it had these funny little girl pick ups, I wanted DIMARZIO SUPER DISTORTIONS!! like ACE FREHLEY, thought about taking a wood chisel & carving tool to, but instead traded that old ugly thing in on a brand new Fender, and there brand new model, FENDER LEAD 1, and I didn't have to add money, ha!! Suckah!

-so I'll bet you, your 98 Gibson Les Paul weigh's at least 10lbs.
Well, I dunno, maybe it does. I'll have to weigh it on the bath scale. It's definitely the heaviest of the four.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
Well, I dunno, maybe it does. I'll have to weigh it on the bath scale. It's definitely the heaviest of the four.

- just kiddin Angus, beautiful guitar, I've been, well not so much now, but was on the hunt for a gold top, but played every les Paul I could, I travel a lot for work, so I take a Lil detour, there's lots of FUTURE TRIBUTE,'s & all the different generation TRIBUTE's and the HERITAGE series, I like um, but when right next to a TRIBUTE there's a old black , full of battle scars, STANDARD, year, don't know, but as soon as I lifted it off the rack, it was clearly a lot heavier, and played, and sounded like you remberd them, thick, powerful, rich tones, and the sustain!! So, the newer ones are not an option for me now.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
- just kiddin Angus, beautiful guitar, I've been, well not so much now, but was on the hunt for a gold top, but played every les Paul I could, I travel a lot for work, so I take a Lil detour, there's lots of FUTURE TRIBUTE,'s & all the different generation TRIBUTE's and the HERITAGE series, I like um, but when right next to a TRIBUTE there's a old black , full of battle scars, STANDARD, year, don't know, but as soon as I lifted it off the rack, it was clearly a lot heavier, and played, and sounded like you remberd them, thick, powerful, rich tones, and the sustain!! So, the newer ones are not an option for me now.
Don't sleep on the newer Traditionals, they're pretty much what the Standards used to be and the build quality is damn good. The stuff from the 90s is still maybe a little bit better, but prices have been creeping up (I could actually sell my 98 for a tidy profit over what I paid for it new 19 years ago). The 2016s are especially good. I played a few before ordering my Honey Burst and they were all good, not a dog among them. When I was shopping for a Classic in 2011 I definitely passed on a couple until I found a good one, quality was more spotty that year.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I love *hit old guitars that I gotta work on & redo,same with old cars from frame up... riding mowers & women are different. I really just want to hop on,get the job done,& ride,then trade them off for newer models................it is what it is.........

speaking of projects... right now I'm taking an old hay wagon & turning it into an 1880's Chuck/Cooks wagon- great project.............

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I only have one keeper...and it's my first...and I had to build it myself.

gR2rXs0.jpg

SG~GUY

Reaction score
I love *hit old guitars that I gotta work on & redo,same with old cars from frame up... riding mowers & women are different. I really just want to hop on,get the job done,& ride,then trade them off for newer models................it is what it is.........

speaking of projects... right now I'm taking an old hay wagon & turning it into an 1880's Chuck/Cooks wagon- great project.............

- what year is that old, white faded Les Paul?
on one of my detours I was looking for "the Best Music Store" in Portland, thought i found it, all they had were acoustics, Grunge has been replaced with modern Dylan kinda thing, and punk, a faded white LesPaul , EPI, looked stock, guy says "don't be afraid to turn it up". and he's carrying a acoustic guitar amp, a little one, picked it up, easily 11-12lbs, no pic, but it was in tune!!! It actually sounded good, $350...

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
I've got a lot of keepers, but the first was my 68 LP Custom I got in 1975. Since then more have been added, but it was the first one for me.

thunderstruck507

Reaction score
Well if I had to call one a keeper of my 3 it would be the Epiphone Elite SG. There are 7 electric guitars in my house right now and it's so far ahead of the others in playability there's not even a contest. Pretty much anyone who picks it up falls in love even if they aren't SG guys. The action is crazy low and buttery smooth with no buzz and it has excellent tone you can feel from the body when you play (even unplugged). I've played a lot of SGs from Epiphone G400s all the way to Gibson Custom Shop '61 Reissues and the only thing even the best Gibson gets over this one is the nitro lacquer finish. Whatever Japanese guy put work into this one was having a VERY good day.

It's also mine thanks to some serious generosity from my late grandmother before she passed away. So there is sentimental value to it as well and why I would keep it even if I found the Excalibur of Gibson SGs that beat it for playing.

My Elitist Les Paul sounds every bit as good (but in that Les Paul chunk way) but no matter how much I try to adjust it just doesn't have that special something to the playability that this one does.

14463118_10102297741799017_1673306486555024241_n.jpg

Latest posts