My New Blonde JCM 800 2203

• Thread starter GibsonSlash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
It's a JCM 800 - 2203.
Pure 100 Watt beast, so LOUD. :headbanger:

8002550.jpg

BluesRocker

Reaction score
AWESOME!! I love it.. Now your mission is to crank it to 10 and see how fast the cops get there..

p0ss3s3d

Reaction score
Really nice, are you going through a 2x12??

One day try the plexi through the normal 1960 cabs for fun!! The volume above 2 in a room is unbearable!!

The 1960ax aren't so loud but do sound way better.

gtrman

Reaction score
Really nice, are you going through a 2x12??

One day try the plexi through the normal 1960 cabs for fun!! The volume above 2 in a room is unbearable!!

The 1960ax aren't so loud but do sound way better.

Totally agree here. A 2x12 wont do enough justice to these amps. Go for the 4x12. The 4x12 is "louder" and has more volume but you will get more bottom. I have both the 1922 & 1936 2x12 and I use them for smaller setup but my amps always sound better with a 4x12.
It will rock :dude:

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Looking at those toggle switches, I would say yes, it's a Canadian model.

I heard Canadian model comes stock with EL34, but US model comes stock with 6550. Is that true?

Oh one more thing this beast is so freakin' heavy, it almost feels twice as heavy as the 2550. :lol:
Sweet. Is that a Canadian model?

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
I see you have a SL-X, I got a question for you.

Actually at the time I got this 2203, I tested the seller's SL-X which he's not selling it. I found the tone in SL-X is so thin compared to this 2203. I don't like the dirty tone coming for it at all. I'm not talking about bedroom level volume, we cranked it past 5.
Now, that is a Mission statement I am all for ! :lol:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Looking at those toggle switches, I would say yes, it's a Canadian model.

I heard Canadian model comes stock with EL34, but US model comes stock with 6550. Is that true?

Oh one more thing this beast is so freakin' heavy, it almost feels twice as heavy as the 2550. :lol:

Yes. Canadian models came stock with EL-34. I personally prefer the EL-34 sound. For the weight, that's probably due to having the bigger transformers for the 100w version vs the 50w 2550 Jubilee transformers.

You can tell whether its a Canadian model for sure by looking at the chassis. There will be a small, round sticker with handwriting on it and they should have CSA written on it.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
What transformers does this 2203 come stock with?
There're no stickers attached to any of the transformers inside.

But looking at the back of the chassis, I found this (see attachment).
So this tells 100% it's a Canadian model?

Yes. Canadian models came stock with EL-34. I personally prefer the EL-34 sound. For the weight, that's probably due to having the bigger transformers for the 100w version vs the 50w 2550 Jubilee transformers.

You can tell whether its a Canadian model for sure by looking at the chassis. There will be a small, round sticker with handwriting on it and they should have CSA written on it.

Attachments

• CSA-.jpg
    CSA-.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 5

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Yes, that's a Canadian model.
Canadian Standards Association | Association Canadienne de Normalisation
You can also tell that its a Canadian model because the output transformer only has the 8 and 4 ohms output selector.
The transformers should have a small sticker on them but you might have to take the chassis out of the head box to see them. If there is no sticker, there should at least be an ink stamp on them.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Question for some experts here.
I can't seem to find any reliable info whether Marshall really made this Brownish grill on JCM800? or they got tanned naturally by Sun?:naughty:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
That's sun faded. It is well documented. If you take the chassis out of the head box, you'll see that the fabric is black on the inside.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
That's true, only 4 and 8 ohm selectors, hmm... why didn't they put 16 ohm in there? :hmm:

Regarding that sticker or ink stamp, I will find out when I bring it in to my amp tech next week.
Yes, that's a Canadian model.
Canadian Standards Association | Association Canadienne de Normalisation
You can also tell that its a Canadian model because the output transformer only has the 8 and 4 ohms output selector.
The transformers should have a small sticker on them but you might have to take the chassis out of the head box to see them. If there is no sticker, there should at least be an ink stamp on them.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Hmm... I wonder how long will it take to fade a black grill clotch?
So I assume this amp was a really good sounding for the previous owner(s) if it got burned under the sun that much.
That's sun faded. It is well documented. If you take the chassis out of the head box, you'll see that the fabric is black on the inside.