My New Blonde JCM 800 2203

• Thread starter GibsonSlash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gtrman

Reaction score
I see you have a SL-X, I got a question for you.

Actually at the time I got this 2203, I tested the seller's SL-X which he's not selling it. I found the tone in SL-X is so thin compared to this 2203. I don't like the dirty tone coming for it at all. I'm not talking about bedroom level volume, we cranked it past 5.

I bought mine used and are in the process of getting it retubed.
Still, I can't say that I find the sound thin. It's different from the JCM800 but not in a bad way. The SL-X is famous for beeing the amp Kiss used in the old days. When I play the riff from "Detroit Rock City" it's sounded pretty much exactly the same as it does on the CD ....

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
That's what I thought. I never find a single bad review on SL-X either.
There's too many things that can effect the tone of it, the tubes, speakers, guitar pickup itself.

Can you do a clip of your SL-X once it got retubed?

Anyway SL-X is next on the list if I were "ever" getting another amp. :fingersx:
I bought mine used and are in the process of getting it retubed.
Still, I can't say that I find the sound thin. It's different from the JCM800 but not in a bad way. The SL-X is famous for beeing the amp Kiss used in the old days. When I play the riff from "Detroit Rock City" it's sounded pretty much exactly the same as it does on the CD ....

gtrman

Reaction score
That's what I thought. I never find a single bad review on SL-X either.
There's too many things that can effect the tone of it, the tubes, speakers, guitar pickup itself.

Can you do a clip of your SL-X once it got retubed?

Anyway SL-X is next on the list if I were "ever" getting another amp. :fingersx:

I'll get a clip for you... no problem !
I bought the SL-X for the very exact reason ... if I ever get another :)
They are pretty rare so when I came across one I had to buy it ...
Next for me whenever I get some dough is the VM ... but no rush ... there's not a lot of used ones out there yet.
I came across a Silver Jubilee Head a few months ago that I put on a bid for but it got way out of hand. It went for more than double price of a new VM ...

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Which is more preferred, SL-X with EL34 or SL-X with 5881?
I notice there are 2 different SL-X with different stock tubes.
I'll get a clip for you... no problem !
I bought the SL-X for the very exact reason ... if I ever get another :)
They are pretty rare so when I came across one I had to buy it ...

gtrman

Reaction score