• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

My New Guitar Project

• Thread starter John BNY
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this beautiful Carvin that I had custom made several years ago. I've used it for one gig, and for the most part, it's been nothing more than eye candy. Truth is, I didn't particularly connect with the tone this guitar produced.

So, rather than ignoring it, I've decided to cut the pickups and pots, and install new electronics. I'm waiting for the new parts to be delivered. This will be fun.

upload_2019-3-12_5-33-7.png

upload_2019-3-12_5-33-58.png

Attachments

• carvin-guitar-project.png
    carvin-guitar-project.png
    904.6 KB · Views: 1

steveb63

Reaction score
I have this beautiful Carvin that I had custom made several years ago. I've used it for one gig, and for the most part, it's been nothing more than eye candy. Truth is, I didn't particularly connect with the tone this guitar produced.

So, rather than ignoring it, I've decided to cut the pickups and pots, and install new electronics. I'm waiting for the new parts to be delivered. This will be fun.

View attachment 55685

View attachment 55686

Congrats, Beautiful guitar mang, that is some top shelf woodworking.

If you can mod that to sound half as good as it looks you def have a winner.

Is that U.S. made? Not that it matters, just curious.

Also what type of tones are you looking for? Re: electronics replacement .

Again, sweet looking axe, keep us updated on your modding.

Steve

stringtree

Reaction score
Just to throw this out there...

Ever think of these options for tone....

PMS from Fu-Tone.com and or the FRX tremolo system by Floyd Rose.

PMS_Promo_03-440.jpg
FRTX01000S_1024x1024 (440x296).jpg

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Here are my responses to the various questions in no particular order:

1. The guitar is made of Koa body and Koa neck with maple strips. It has a solid flamed maple cap. It was made in the USA. It has rosewood fretboard and stainless steel frets, Carvin locking tuners, mother of pearl inlays and mother of pearl volume and tone knobs.
2. The guitar came with C22B and J pickups. I felt they had no real character, and sounded a little nasally and thin.
3. I tend to like hotter pickups. I'm a big fan of Bare Knuckle Pickups. I also like the various Gibson pickups -- 57s, 498T, 500T, Burstbucker. I'll be installing these Bare Knuckle Pickups that I picked up used. I don't know which specific model this is, but I've never heard a Bare Knuckle Pickup that I didn't like:

upload_2019-3-12_14-8-27.png

4. I've never been a tremolo fan. I never use them, and find them to be a pain to keep in tune.

Still waiting for the tone pots. I'll update this thread when I put everything together.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress update. I replaced all of the pots and soldered in the Bare Knuckle pickups with chrome rings. I'm just waiting for delivery of shielded wires to connect the three way toggle switch to the pots and the output jack.

Carvin with Chrome Rings.JPG

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I connected everything, but I must have done something wrong, as I get serious humming when the guitar is plugged in. It's going to a tech today.

Adrian R

Reaction score

View attachment 55685

View attachment 55686

Don't wanna be downer, but in my experience if a guitar doesn't sound right to you at it's core, it's not going to change. All you'll get is variations of that same voice.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
So I connected everything, but I must have done something wrong, as I get serious humming when the guitar is plugged in. It's going to a tech today.
Did you remember the ground wire to the tailpiece? Don't want to over simplify, but as you know there isn't a lot to guitar wiring. Maybe doublecheck all your grounds before you bring it in?

Guitar looks great!