My TSL100 arrives today

• Thread starter MorePaul
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MorePaul

Reaction score
Bought it used from GC
I plan to check the tubes and bias
before sound check.

Also the Cab I have is a Marshall 1960a with vintage greenbacks
it's 4ohm - I read here that the TSL sometimes has weak connections
or something in the 4 and 8 ohm speaker outs...?

Is this something I should be worried about ?
How can I check that my 4ohm out is good for the long haul?

Any other advice for a new TSL100 owner?

thanks.

Lakeboy1612

Reaction score
I feel a kinship all ready ;) I have another thread going right now about my tsl 60 watt head that will be arriving on Thursday. Not trying to scare you but people are scaring me lol.
Aparently the jcm 2000s pre 2003 have a week rectifier that can get to hot and burn out the amp. I know nothing and am also looking for someone with tsl experience to tell me how great of a risk this is

rensklaassen

Reaction score
I feel a kinship all ready ;) I have another thread going right now about my tsl 60 watt head that will be arriving on Thursday. Not trying to scare you but people are scaring me lol.
Aparently the jcm 2000s pre 2003 have a week rectifier that can get to hot and burn out the amp. I know nothing and am also looking for someone with tsl experience to tell me how great of a risk this is

I believe there is some risk, because Marshall got every pre '03 TSL owner (I think the ones who have registered with their warranty card or something idk) a new PCB board.. they must gave good reasons for that!!

Vinsanitizer

aka "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of weak speaker connections on the TSL100. Biggest complaint was the footswitch jack, which isn't mounted to the chassis, only to the PCB. There were a lot of complaints since that cheap-ass move caused a few player some problems down the road. I dumped mine after a year, as I was expecting it to sound like my older JCM800's only better and more versatile. However, the TSL and DSL were Marshall's foray into their own interpretation of the [then] new Rectifier sound. It's not a bad amp though, mostly it lost out to the DSL.

Smickers

Reaction score
Great amps. Not the rectifier that burns it up but a few resisters that were not the right values along with what's called "bias drift" have a look in the TSL tribe section under groups for everything you need to know.

A little maintenance goes a long way.

The amp can get classic Marshall tones... Clean channel breaks up nicely and the over drive channel with all the push boosts disengaged sounds pretty damn 800ish to me.

But the amp was designed to compete with Mesa for that saturated gain of modern rock/metal. Which is what you'll get by pressing in the deep switch or mid shift..

I personally love all of it. Very versatile and a great sounding amp. Remember, this was Marshall's flagship amp back in that era much like jvm's are today.

rensklaassen

Reaction score
They were indeed the flagship in that time. I own both the TSL100 and the JVM410H and I love both of em.. kinda sucks to sell my TSL but I can use the $$$.. I'm not even a 100% sure that I like the JVM better but the cloned OD channels come in very handy.

MorePaul

Reaction score
Well it's a 1999, so there's a chance it has the old PCB:mad:
but the good news I unpacked it, put the tubes in it everything fired up
and it sounds great! (even the footswitch worked)

good cosmetic shape. (missing the back board)
But not a single tolex rip or gouge
JJ El34's and 3 GT ECC83 and one marshall ecc83.

Yep, it's got that great classic Marshall crunch, the clean channel is pretty clean I must say very nice!!

Digging the VPR mode very much however, in 100watt mode the amp gets
VERY noisy (hiss) so I'm not sure what that's all about...
but very nice sounding amp !!! I am pleased.

So far so good....

can't wait til after work to plug in again:hbang:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
If it's a 1999 model chances are that somewhere along the line the board was replaced. IF NOT then I wouldn't worry. If it's been working fine since 99, then it would seem to be stable.

I've had several TSL 100 heads and they were all later production. No issues whatsoever with them. I moved in 2012 and I sold them (as I had a lot of amps then). I still have my TSL 122 and TSL 602.

As TWIN stated the speaker output ground issue was with the DSL's. It's imperative that you get a TSL with a working foot switch or else it makes having three channels a moot point.

10303364_10204062012134376_6788822115568806916_n.jpg

10441377_10204062018694540_7872044668239513944_n.jpg

10437644_10204062017414508_4985801674518680750_n.jpg

MorePaul

Reaction score
good news about the speaker outs...relief

Only played the amp for about 30 minutes but I can already tell this amp is a keeper....

the way the amp responds when you dig in is fantastic, and the 'ol roll off the guitar vol to get clean tone works at ANY gain setting...

I couldn't do this with my previous tube amp: Bugera V22

first impressions were above expectations and all that in the VPR (25watt)
mode.

I tried 100w with same settings and it unleashed godzilla in my garage..
gets really bright compared to VPR but can be tamed with EQ for the most part. Total Beast...louder than hell...LOVE it:hbang:

rensklaassen

Reaction score

Only played the amp for about 30 minutes but I can already tell this amp is a keeper....

the way the amp responds when you dig in is fantastic, and the 'ol roll off the guitar vol to get clean tone works at ANY gain setting...

mode.

gets really bright compared to VPR but can be tamed with EQ for the most part. Total Beast...louder than hell...LOVE it:hbang:

Welkome bro... I really am annoyed by folks only talk hate about post '90 Amps... after owning plexi models, 800's,TSL, 900'S, dsl's, I seriously don't get their point.. All Marshalls are great in their own way. All of them have gge cool hard rock circuits in the guts.. I'm pretty much of a 'nostalgia' guy but no post 90's marshall amp has dissapointed me so far.. people need to learn how to tweak and 'attack' youre strings to get the most sound out of that amp..

Have fun with your TSL and get the audience (women) going for Christ sake!!!

rensklaassen

Reaction score

mode.

Welkome bro... I really am annoyed by folks only talk hate about post '90 Amps... after owning plexi models, 800's,TSL, 900'S, dsl's, I seriously don't get their point.. All Marshalls are great in their own way. All of them have cool hard rock circuits in the guts.. I'm pretty much of a 'nostalgia' guy but no post 90's marshall amp has dissapointed me so far.. people need to learn how to tweak and 'attack' youre strings to get the most sound out of that amp..

Have fun with your TSL and get the audience (women) going for Christ sake!!!

TSL60Rocker

Reaction score

Don't believe any negative hype on the TSL60 or TSL100 heads. These amps are amazing and have a ton of tonal abilities if you have the time to sit down and learn the amp and figure it out.

I have a TSL60 and bought it new in 2004 and it is amazing. Listen to these recordings and you will hear it.

www.reverbnation.com/leavingmidnight

My guitar is the marshall sound, a little heavier while the other guitarist is playing a strat through a Fender Hot Rod. You can tell the difference. I am always on the look out for another because they can be found fairly cheap. Totally underrated amp in my opinion.

Rob

Werewolf913

Reaction score
Another TSL fan here. I have the tsl602 combo, bought it from Musicians Friend scratch n dent back in probably 2001. Never had any problem with it, and I love the tone. Went on a spree this weekend and bought a used JVM 205h from someone locally. Killer amp, great high gain tone. But I also won an eBay auction this past weekend on a tsl 60 head. Should be here tomorrow or Friday. Can't wait to check this thing out. The guy said it was approx 9 yrs old so I'm hoping it was after the issues were addressed. Like someone else said, if it's been serviceable this long, it's a good indication it is worry free.

MorePaul

Reaction score
Hey fellow TSL fans, thanks for chiming in...

I did experience some power fluctuations and drop outs last night
some while I was playing, and other times while pressing the deep switches
I experienced some other cracklings and drop outs....

basically treated it like dirty pots and pushed every button in and out repeatedly and twisted all knobs 10- 12 times and after that no more glitches.. Amp must have sat for a while just needs the dust worked out of
some of the components...IDK

as far as my assessment so far
What can I say that others haven't said already in numerous threads/reviews all over the internet:

-great clean channel
-mean/nasty Crunch and lead channels
-A bit on the bright side
-Loud as God!

That being said, the rhythm crunch is pure heaven to me, I found myself playing
AC/DC, Zep, Aerosmith and grinning ear to ear because I finally have an amp that nails those tones very well....

Pushing the gain up higher or moving to the lead channel and just holding a sustained power chord I found the overdrive to be 3 dimensional, complex and full of harmonic goodness...

Just for fun I scooped all the mids and cranked the gain ( not my usual tone pref) but interestingly enough the tone was VERY usable for heavier music and still retained a certain "mid-character" that might carry it through a dense mix...a darker chuggy tone that had a real interesting voice....suprisingly I liked this tone for it's uniqueness.

The deep switches tub out the low end too much for my taste
but the mid scoop buttons could definately have their place for certain
songs that beg for a more recto-type sound

The mid bump in the clean channel is really cool - Almost like having two clean channels....toggling between both reveals two very different cleans
and both are usable and sweet sounding.:applause:

Like others have also said, for creamier leads I will probably invest in a decent boost pedal to smooth it out a bit...because it "feels" like you have less sustain under your fingers with this amp, it's hard to explain: I can easily hold as single note and have lots of sustain but while soloing it just "feels" like I have to work harder....just quite different from what I am used to - however the string attack and touch sensitivity also allow a more expressive nuance, so it's rather bizarre feeling to me.

Gonna swap tubes and do a bias when I get a chance
but out of the "used" box this amp rocks!

MorePaul

Reaction score
Well, it was wishful thinking to think I wouldn't find anything wrong with this amp...

Plugged my delay into the FX loop and was rewarded with the NOISIEST sound EVA!

WAY too much white noise for me to ever use the FX loop...sounded like a waterfall
oh well, still love the amp.

I'll just run my FX in the front....

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, it was wishful thinking to think I wouldn't find anything wrong with this amp...

Plugged my delay into the FX loop and was rewarded with the NOISIEST sound EVA!

WAY too much white noise for me to ever use the FX loop...sounded like a waterfall
oh well, still love the amp.

I'll just run my FX in the front....

Other guys please chime in here, but does the TSL have a tube buffered FX loop ?

MorePaul, if it does then change out the tube and see if that fixes it. My bet, it will.

phuzaxeman

Reaction score
I used the fx loop on my tsl60 last sat and it's always been good.

these amp are great. I had my amp converted to the 6L6 power tubes and my capacitors and other electronics replaced and its been amazing.

you can check out the youtube clip with the tsl60 in action on my single, Check your Head. I was getting some good sounds with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34xPJJ_ZriI"]Human Beings by Channel K - Album Design - YouTube[/ame]

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
From the manual:

Clean:
7. FX Mix Control
When using the extensive FX looping facility on the rear panel, this
control will adjust the FX mix for the clean channel only, from totally
dry (0) through varying degrees of parallel mix (1-9) to a full series
connected loop (10). For more information see FX Loop section

Overdrive:

2. Effects Loop A & Effects Loop B

The TSL supports two effects loops, which can be used in a variety of
ways.

Loop A when used on its own, is the master loop for the amp and will
channel switch from clean to overdrive when you change channels,
allowing you to set the individual mix from the front panel Mix controls.
Loop B is the specific loop for using effects on the overdrive channels
(Crunch / Lead) and if used on its own will only provide effects when on
these channels, leaving the clean channel totally dry.

When Loop B is in use Loop A becomes available for use solely on the
Clean channel. This means that you can have two totally different FX
systems, one for clean and one for overdrive.

Each loop has its own 'loop level' pushswitch, enabling you to select the
right send and return levels to suit whatever effects system you are using.
With the switch 'out', the level within the loop is high (suitable for most
pro rack fx). With the switch 'in', the level within the loop is set at a
much lower signal level (suitable more for floor pedals or lesser spec'd
rack units).

Note: The loops are in parallel mode until the mix controls are at 10
when the loop converts to series mode. Also, remember that as the loops
are between the preamp and the power amp, this is NOT the place for
distortion type effects unit
You need to make sure that the settings are right, & that you are using the A channel, for complete amp, or B for overdrive only. Maybe try the level on 10 (series) & control the effects volume in the unit.

If you get noise still, in all settings, then you should have it looked at.

Try looping it w/ a patch cable. Does it still make noise?

If you end up not using the effects for effects, & the loop/jumper doesn't introduce any noise, then you can leave the patch cable in, & use it for a lead boost. Turning the volume will work in reverse. The lower the value, the louder the volume. The trick is to play normal w/ it engaged (lower level) & then switch the loop off for your lead boost...

Latest posts