N SG D

• Thread starter anitoli
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anitoli

Reaction score
Ok, the SG showed up yesterday and i immediately benched it and went to work. Guitar is in exceptional condition as the pics will show. Interesting to note both of the pups are stamped with a "T" which for Gibson i always took to mean Treble or a Bridge pup. But this configuration sounds damn good so it will stay like this for the time being.
20231114_185537.jpg

Took a look at the control cavity and OMG the dreaded circuit board is there. After playing this guitar i don't hear what the big issue was with this arrangement. It sounds fine. Matter of fact something i do like is there is an overabundance of usable top end here so the tone knobs actually have a purpose. Gonna leave it as is for now.
20231114_193356.jpg

The previous owner made a few cosmetic changes to the ax which i do like, others may not but i think it looks much better with the white pick guard.
20231114_210817.jpg
20231114_210825.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
cool looking SG...

does the headstock have a laminate on the rear?

20231114_213846-jpg.140163

don't think I've ever seen that before... & interesting how it's shaped to where the volute joint would have been (on models that had them).

So, how does it play, feel & sound?

speyfly

Reaction score

anitoli

Reaction score
cool looking SG...

does the headstock have a laminate on the rear?

20231114_213846-jpg.140163

don't think I've ever seen that before... & interesting how it's shaped to where the volute joint would have been (on models that had them).

So, how does it play, feel & sound?
No no laminate that i can see. Sounds very good. So far have tried it through the 2203X and the Green GT120 and it commands attention through both!
The neck shape fits my hand really well. It's the "c" shape profile, very comfortable. Frets are medium jumbo and are a perfect match for the neck shape.
Very happy with this buy. At first i thought the paint was gaudy but after repeated looks it kind of grew on me. Once i had it here in front of me i was like " oh yeah this paint just kills it".

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Ok, the SG showed up yesterday and i immediately benched it and went to work. Guitar is in exceptional condition as the pics will show. Interesting to note both of the pups are stamped with a "T" which for Gibson i always took to mean Treble or a Bridge pup. But this configuration sounds damn good so it will stay like this for the time being.
View attachment 140151

Took a look at the control cavity and OMG the dreaded circuit board is there. After playing this guitar i don't hear what the big issue was with this arrangement. It sounds fine. Matter of fact something i do like is there is an overabundance of usable top end here so the tone knobs actually have a purpose. Gonna leave it as is for now.
View attachment 140156

The previous owner made a few cosmetic changes to the ax which i do like, others may not but i think it looks much better with the white pick guard.
View attachment 140158
View attachment 140159

View attachment 140160

Here she is after i gave it some TLC:

View attachment 140161
View attachment 140162

View attachment 140163

View attachment 140164
View attachment 140165

Frets are nice, rosewood board was slightly rough needed a bit of steel wool on it. Guitar sounds and plays great. It definitely looks boss.
That guitar is fukkin awesome! I'm jealous! Congrats! Keep it just the way it is :yesway:

anitoli

Reaction score
That guitar is fukkin awesome! I'm jealous! Congrats! Keep it just the way it is :yesway:
Thanks.
Yeah going to stay with the white. I think the black will fit the other SG so may use it there. My understanding is these were a custom order for Sam Ash and there were only 400 made, so they won't be as common as say the cherry colored ones.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks.
Yeah going to stay with the white. I think the black will fit the other SG so may use it there. My understanding is these were a custom order for Sam Ash and there were only 400 made, so they won't be as common as say the cherry colored ones.
I have a soft spot in my heart for gold, I wish all my guitars were gold :p

Latest posts