NAD - 1974 Fender Dual Showman - Holy Cow

• Thread starter 8bit Barry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I couldn’t make up my mind about a Jubilee, I went completely the other way.

IMG_4535.jpeg
It’s a clean and tidy 1974 Dual Showman Reverb 100w - it’s absolutely incredible sounding with an amazing trippy tremolo / cavernous reverb.

I’ve never had anything Fender before other than a Princeton. The Dual Showman has earthquake level bass, breaks up subtly around 5, sounds saturated and so rich. I’m playing it through a Marshall pre Rola greenback cab from 1970 and it’s so responsive, articulate and has classic tones, encouraging you to play all over the guitar.

I’ve never understood the whole Fender Twin thing before (it’s a Twin head basically) and now I totally get it.

anitoli

Reaction score
Yup, those old Fender amps could pack some mojo. I had a 1965 DR here to fix ans all the owner wanted was to make it work. Well i did that and while testing it became obvious this amp was killing it even with shot tubes and caps. He wouldnt let me change them and he refused my offer of $2500 for it as well. Struck out. Lol

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had it for a few days and I’ve been getting used to it - it's absolutely incredible. It’s such a HUGE sound, massive headroom and it’s making me play completely differently. The dynamics are off the charts.

It’s a little bit quieter than my 100w Marshall’s. I am running it through an attenuator at higher levels than I normally do. The Bass is so huge with super fast attack - I’ve literally heard nothing like it. I can only imagine what it’s like through the 2x15 cab.

One minute with a telecaster I’m Jonny Marr, the next I swap to a 335 and it’s the dirtiest blues sound. It absolutely loves quality PAFs. The volume on 6 and its breaks up beautifully. It’s so responsive with guitar volume and all I want to do is go swimming in reverb.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice score! I’ve been wanting a Super Reverb or an old Bassman head for a long time. Fenders can rock hard.
I would love to score a Super Reverb, but I think I’m better it with the Showman head with an attenuator. They’re just such a heavy sound.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to score a Super Reverb, but I think I’m better it with the Showman head with an attenuator. They’re just such a heavy sound.
I’ve once had the pleasure of playing a black panel Super Reverb. With the 40w power section and tube rectifier, it’s got a sweet sustain. It’s definitely a bucket list amp for me. I can only imagine the dynamics of the Dual Showman.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats. I have a 1975 Twin Reverb so it is pretty much the same thing.
How does it sound?

Mine breaks up beautifully around 5-6 on the volume. I think this model gets a rap as a totally clean amp, but with an attenuator it’s truly comes alive.

I just pulled the Accutronics reverb tank out and found it’s only got one spring connected instead of two. The clips are missing to hold the spring in, so I’m assuming it’s been modified.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
How does it sound?

Mine breaks up beautifully around 5-6 on the volume. I think this model gets a rap as a totally clean amp, but with an attenuator it’s truly comes alive.

I just pulled the Accutronics reverb tank out and found it’s only got one spring connected instead of two. The clips are missing to hold the spring in, so I’m assuming it’s been modified.
It had the original Utah speakers and RCA tubes. It has new tubes, caps, and Jensen Blackbird speakers.

I don't have an attenuator so the only way I have heard amp distortion was through their master volume which doesn't sound that great. I have never gotten the channel volume up to the point of overdrive since the house would be shaking before that point.

I have ran it through a 4x12 with Celestions and that does sound pretty good as well. It is easier to overdrive my Champ and Princeton Reverb Reissue. The Twin is for clean tones.

chocol8

Reaction score
How does it sound?

I have had a few Twins and Supers over the years. The Twin/Showman amps all breakup when pushed hard enough. Humbuckers, P90's or a Strat/Tele with a boost should easily get you there by around 5 to 7. Some breakup earlier on the volume knob than others, but they are all loud as heck when it happens unless you are attenuating.

A Twin with a pair of 12" JBL's is a beast. Clear, dynamic, powerful. The Showman with a pair of 15" JBL's is more of the same. They sound great with a lot of other speaker choices as well, although the other stock speakers from the era tend to not handle a lot of bass or distortion well, and I think that might be part of the clean only reputation. The truth is they are versatile amps and you can use the speakers to shape the tones to your musical tastes. I think too many people overlook that.

The Supers are a different animal with the 4x10 2 ohm cab and tube rectifier. They breakup earlier and are as little softer/rounder. Speaker swaps are harder and more expensive as is attenuation, but they are some of my favorites. A 67 BF Super Reverb loaded with Fat Jimmy 1025's through a 2 ohm John H attenuator has been my main amp lately. Overdriven with a neck P90 gives a creamy tone that is pure heaven.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
Congrats. I’m totally on board with the Fender cleans and the power. Related to your other post, now is the time to pick up these beauties while many are on the small amp kick.

Picked up the Supersix and Quad reverb, for easily less than the parts. Both with all original speakers. You want Fender cleans, go big or go home.

Attachments

• IMG_7543.jpeg
    IMG_7543.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 8

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Related to your other post, now is the time to pick up these beauties while many are on the small amp kick.
Amazing! That Quad looks like an absolute monster: if I could only get a decent Super Reverb… not sure if I need it now with this Dual Showman.

What’s amazes me with all these reissues is the cost. You can literally buy a silverface Super Reverb for the same price as a reissue. The 65 Princeton I bought a few years back is now an eye watering £1450 here in the UK.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Supers are a different animal with the 4x10 2 ohm cab and tube rectifier. They breakup earlier and are as little softer/rounder. Speaker swaps are harder and more expensive as is attenuation, but they are some of my favorites. A 67 BF Super Reverb loaded with Fat Jimmy 1025's through a 2 ohm John H attenuator has been my main amp lately. Overdriven with a neck P90 gives a creamy tone that is pure heaven.
Wow that’s encouraging - thanks for the detailed reply. Great info in there. BF Super Reverb’s are hard to come by in the UK - I’ve been really inspired by Matthew Scott on YouTube who has highlighted a lot of these models for me. He pointed me at the Dual Showman Reverb.

The amp is true magic. I’m thinking carefully about the 2x15. An alternative could be the 1x15 Bassman style cab because although I have space the 2x15 is ridiculous. I would love to hear this amp through the D130f’s.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing! That Quad looks like an absolute monster: if I could only get a decent Super Reverb… not sure if I need it now with this Dual Showman.

What’s amazes me with all these reissues is the cost. You can literally buy a silverface Super Reverb for the same price as a reissue. The 65 Princeton I bought a few years back is now an eye watering £1450 here in the UK.
Like @chocol8 says, the Super Reverb is a different animal than a Dual Showman. I can’t say that with authority, since I’ve never played a Dual Showman, but the SR does this thing where it’s a nice Fender clean low on your guitar volume, but blooms into this sweet soft creamy over drive when you roll up your guitar volume. The 40W tube rectified power section is just about the right volume to play with a loud drummer, too, if memory serves.