NAD! 1987x

• Thread starter Tim Semeryuk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Semeryuk

Reaction score
got my plexi today. kick ass rocker! but it is my first Marshall tube amp head and i an new to the whole tube head scene so please be gentle. haha can i get some help setting it up? some help setting it up. in which position do i put my mains selector? do wanna fry my amp without even being able to play it. and any other tips or suggestions would be greatly aprecciated. also are there any "channel jumping rules" so to speak? heres some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1218[1].jpg
    IMG_1218[1].jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 40

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

First of all, NEVER turn on a tube head without a (load) cabinet. And ensure that the ohm selector switch on the back of the head is set to MATCH the cab rating.

Next, what kind of tone are you wanting. This is a pretty clean amp with no master volume. I am able to get mine pretty distorted by using a processor in the loop as a master volume and turning the volumes (loudness) up to 10 and using a OD pedal.

Depending on what you want and how you do it you can get beautiful shimmering clean to George Lynch and all in between out of this amp.

Best to you.

David :cheers:

My Example:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0hMKsNsX9Q[/ame]

Tim Semeryuk

Reaction score
Congratulations!

First of all, NEVER turn on a tube head without a (load) cabinet. And ensure that the ohm selector switch on the back of the head is set to MATCH the cab rating.

Next, what kind of tone are you wanting. This is a pretty clean amp with no master volume. I am able to get mine pretty distorted by using a processor in the loop as a master volume and turning the volumes (loudness) up to 10 and using a OD pedal.

Depending on what you want and how you do it you can get beautiful shimmering clean to George Lynch and all in between out of this amp.

Best to you.

My Example:
Plexi PTP Board Demo - YouTube

thanks man. and yea i know the basics. im not a complete noob that dove in right away and didnt know what he got himself into. and my tone is like a page zz top thing. lone zeppelin and thin lizzy. thats tone tone i was searching for. and its also nice that i bought a power attenuator right away too. this thing is loud. thanks again

John 14:6

Reaction score
Congratulations!

Best to you.

My Example:
Plexi PTP Board Demo - YouTube
Don't get me wrong because a 1987 Marshall is one of my favorite Marshall amps for sure, but you could make any decent amp sound great David.

Reaction score
thanks man. and yea i know the basics. im not a complete noob that dove in right away and didnt know what he got himself into. and my tone is like a page zz top thing. lone zeppelin and thin lizzy. thats tone tone i was searching for. and its also nice that i bought a power attenuator right away too. this thing is loud. thanks again
Buying a non-master master volume Marshall head for you first tube amp is kind of like buying a dragster for your first car.:D

Reaction score
yea man! definatly pick one up. no regrets at all. its like i entered a different tone world. the 70s tone world. dude its a time machine man!
A non-master volume Marshall will greatly benefit from a good to great attenuator if you will not be able to crank the Marshall often. PLEASE avoid the THD Hot Plate. The THD does not track your amp's impedance well at all when playing. This will be brutal on the internal workings of your amp. You can get a Rivera Rockcrusher used on ebay for less than $500. I would skip the "Ultimate Attenuator also since it digitally re-amps your tube amp's signal.

Last edited:

Tim Semeryuk

Reaction score
A non-master volume Marshall will greatly benefit from a good to great attenuator if you will not be able to crank the Marshall often. PLEASE avoid the THD Hot Plate. The THD does not track your amp's impedance well at all when playing. This will be brutal on the internal workings of your amp. You can get a Rivera Rockcrusher used on ebay for less than $500. I would skip the "Ultimate Attenuator also since it will digitally re-amps your tube amp's signal.

yea i bought the rockcrusher new with it too. my total was about 2000$ very nice, i like!

FennRx

Reaction score
35072723_zps715dcf31.jpg