• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Nad: 6100lm 5881... What A Monster, I'm Blown Away

• Thread starter lonewolfsx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been thinking of replacing my TSL and had been eyeing a 2205/2210 JCM 800 for a while but ended up with a Splawn QR. It wasn't quite the tone I wanted, so I've started looking around again and on a complete impulse, I bought a 6100LM sight unseen from guitarcenter (price was too good to pass up honestly).

Anyway, I've had it about a week now and wow.. this is a hell of an amp. I did a lot of comparisons with an ABY switcher between the 6100, TSL, Splawn, and my VHT Pittbull and this is definitely my favorite amp now for most things. Short review below:

I played the amps through two close-back 1x12's, one with a G12H30 and the other a G12M65 Creamback (mostly the creamback, great speaker).

While I do miss the glorious spring reverb of the TSL, the clean channel is excellent. I was worried I would miss the mid-boost switch, since I love that thicker jazz tone, but I was able to EQ the 6100 nicely. The bright switch is actually usable, gives a little extra sparkle in a dense mix without piercing my ears. The mid-shift is also usable and feels like it makes it sound a little nicer for strum-and-sing type songs.

The crunch channel is, as reviewed many times before, truly excellent. Mode A makes for an excellent "slightly dirty clean" channel that can get a little grittier if needed, but Mode B is my favorite. I play 70s-80s rock 99% of the time and this is great with the gain a little over halfway for me. It's extremely sensitive to attack and volume as well, so I can use it on a lot of songs. With a tubescreamer or my Joyo UD (fulltone OCD clone) can get into some of the heavier classics. I could probably push up the gain/vol on the pedals and just use this mode by itself for almost anything, but I leave them dialed back a little so I can add a little extra oomph to the lead channel without becoming a mess of feedback.
Mode C has a massive amount of gain, and sounds very similar to the lead channel. I could see situations where this would be useful, perhaps having a high gain scooped rhythm tone in Mode C then switch to lead to add some mids and volume for a solo - or vice versa. I haven't spent a lot of time on here but it feels great.

The lead channel is the biggest surprise to me. Lots of posts online highlight the crunch and clean channels, but rarely do I see someone who really likes this channel. Well, I love this channel. With the gain boost on, it has a ton of gain, so much so that I don't really need a pedal at all. I occasionally add in a tubescreamer for extremely heavy stuff or for a section in a solo. The boost also adds a little extra chunch to palm mutes, and I can really feel it in my chest on this amp... unlike the TSL. The Splawn does have the chunk, but the mids are much more congested than this amp - it's great for a very specific sound but that's all it does, even changing the EQ. The 6100 on the other hand has a LOT of variability in the tone controls - that really impressed me. I can get so many tones from this channel, and it even cleans up nicely under soft picking or volume rolling. Another surprise was the "contour" switch - I tried this both by scooping the mids with it, and even with the mids boosted it just lowers the frequency a bit, and it sounds great for that type of tone either way. I play a few modern heavier songs and I daresay I'd compare this to a 6505/5153 and could get a convincing scooped metal tone from it. With the contour out, it does a great 80s mid-heavy metal tone (my favorite). I also think with the gain rolled off a bit and contour on, it can get pretty brown VH sounding... enough to convince your average audience at least. This is in stark contrast to the mid-shift buttons on the TSL which I found to be completely worthless.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it. The TSL is on its way out now since I have too many amps, but I hope to one day compare this 6100 to a JCM 800 2205/2210 since I liked those so much (but haven't played one in a few years).

Here's a picture:
image1.jpeg

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention - this came with a quad of Groovetube 6L6's. After taking a closer look at them, they are actually USA made Philips 6L6's... I've never had US made power tubes before, pretty awesome to me. They look original to the amp, which is also in excellent condition. Production date is 1997, so this is a very late model 6100LM.

I'm also using a Boss GT3 as a midi footswitch since it didn't include the original footswitch. I was disappointed at first, but with the GT3 running me about $70, it's hard to justify $100+ for the real footswitch. Plus, now I have my beloved reverb in the fx loop, and a nice headphone practice amp if I need it.
image2.jpeg

If you made it this far, thanks for reading my small novel. TLDR: amp is great.

Edit: I'm having a slight issue with effects loop on the clean channel. Made a thread here: http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/6100lm-no-fx-loop-on-clean-channel.104165/#post-1759353

Last edited:

dpaterson

Reaction score
Yo.

I cannot comment on the amp. But I'm posting anyway to say thanks for posting. Always great to read a post where someone is really excited about a new piece of gear, is happy with it, and wants to share. It's refreshing. We all know, but easily forget, that excitement.

I'm sure you'll get loads of input from others that are familiar with the amp.

Enjoy.

Thanks again for the post.

Regards,

Dale.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great score and great job on the review.

Comprehensive reviews are rare and very good to see.

Congrats....and congrats.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
6100guts.jpg

Just hope you never have to have it worked on.
There are more mother-boards in a 6100 than 4 home computers.

Ah, compared to the TSL that's nothing.

But yes, as this amp does have an issue with effects on the clean channel I am a bit worried about repair costs. So I'm going to find out a repair estimate then go back to guitar center and see if they will cut the cost down a bit - I know they can do that because I once had a guitar damaged in shipping that they partially reimbursed me for.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
HNAD congratulations on a great amp, I have no personal experience with this amp but I have read quite a bit of praise, and positive pride in this model,:cheers:

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
I may be crazy, but I just bought a second one.

I figure when it shows up, if it sounds the same and the clean channel effects loop works, I'll either return this one, or have it repaired and see if I can flip it. Too bad I'm not in a band, it'd be the perfect backup, but I can't really justify keeping two of them as much as I'm in love with the sound it makes.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
Yo.

I cannot comment on the amp. But I'm posting anyway to say thanks for posting. Always great to read a post where someone is really excited about a new piece of gear, is happy with it, and wants to share. It's refreshing. We all know, but easily forget, that excitement.

I'm sure you'll get loads of input from others that are familiar with the amp.

Enjoy.

Thanks again for the post.

Regards,

Dale.

Thanks Dale, I'm definitely excited and nowadays don't have many people to share with haha. Thanks for reading

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Great info you posted.

I went through my love affair a few years ago when I got my '94 6100 with 6L6's. That amp ended up becoming my main gigging amp and everything you mentioned above was prettty much my same experience. Well, except for running boost pedals up front as I did not see the need for any more pedals on the floor besides my Wah and tuner with the 6100. I ended up running my Boss RV-5 in the loop. I am remembering having a small issue with the loop. Can not recall now lol. I think I ended up using the line in/out for my RV-5 and occasional DeLayla pedal.

The other thing I never really used or messed with was the two filters on the input. Maybe I need to mess with those.

I loved the amp so much that I ended up GAS'ing for a 6100LM so I could have both options covered lol.

I quit running my 6100's a few years ago as I had a sudded falling out with the sound of them somehow when I joined the Trower tribute band and started rehearsing at rented studio room. The amp just did not sound good there and it was a strange thing. I tinkered with the 6100's at home and can't explain what happened. I did order all e'lytic caps for the entire amp for a full replace on one of the 6100's to see if it helps improve it. It will be a major task to do on this amp and have not started it yet.

Since then, I have moved on to a JVM 410H . . . .

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
I haven't played a JVM in a few years. I compared the 2-channel JVM with the TSL and thought the TSL sounded better at the time (a decade ago), had more clarity. I also was trying really hard to sound like Warren Dimartini from Ratt, so the TSL being thinner fit that sound too. I'd also just started playing and was searching for my first tube amp... things have definitely changed.

I really should go play another JVM sometime, it has been so long my tastes have changed and I might like it more now.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not played the 210 or 205 JVM. I do prefer CH3 OD1 over CH 4 OD2. The 2 series has OD2 from what I have read.

And if you somewhat like the TSL100, you would probably like the JVM HJS over the original JVM 410H. I was not that impressed with the OD1/OD2 on my JVM 410H until I lowered the gain just a bit on mine.