NAD: First new Marshall in 6 years....Original 1987 Silver Jubilee!

headcrash

Reaction score
This is how a proper NAD is done !! Perfect choice, to me this is THE Marshall with THE classic mid-to-late 80's hardrock tone.

Concerning dropouts: the FX loop is series and always in the signal path. With nothing plugged in, the signal goes over switched contacts of the send and return jacks. Apart from cleaning or changing the jacks, you might try a short patch cable and "bridge" the loop to find out, if this is the cause for dropouts.

tarznamps

Reaction score
This is how a proper NAD is done !! Perfect choice, to me this is THE Marshall with THE classic mid-to-late 80's hardrock tone.

Concerning dropouts: the FX loop is series and always in the signal path. With nothing plugged in, the signal goes over switched contacts of the send and return jacks. Apart from cleaning or changing the jacks, you might try a short patch cable and "bridge" the loop to find out, if this is the cause for dropouts.
YOU WIN (something)

The FX loop contacts are 100% the cause of the drop outs. A short patch cable 100% fixed that issue. Now all I have are some dirty pots to clean or replace.

THANKS!

Last edited:

headcrash

Reaction score
Lovin' it. It has a very tight distortion and a solid well balance tone/eq. About to test some pedals with it tonight. Anyone else have a 2555/2550. Any cool tips or suggestions for a new owner?

Well, as I can see on your picture, in your wall of Marshalls, you already own a 2555SL. Well, that IS a Jubilee, just with different Slash cosmetics. If you know the SL, then you know your Jubliee.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Damn it , congrats !
There are so many Jubilee threads I feel like I got a fever. Only one thing to do when you get that 🥵
How much is blood going for these days with inflation and all ?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes - EQ is very responsive. I was also playing my Mark V last night and the channel EQ is very soft compared to the 2550.
Even other Marshalls are different from Mesa of course, given that pre gain EQ on the Mesa. They really need that graphic that many have to tweak.
Jubilee different from other Marshalls too. Neat design.

tarznamps

Reaction score
Damn it , congrats !
There are so many Jubilee threads I feel like I got a fever. Only one thing to do when you get that 🥵
How much is blood going for these days with inflation and all ?
It takes PATIENCE - The Jubilee was a bucket list amp for me. I just waited and waited until I found the steal of a deal and jumped on it. I really haven't seen anything interesting and a steal of a deal in about 6 years.

tarznamps

Reaction score
Now I am on the hunt for a matching cab for my 2550 50w jubilee head. Quick research shows 2551 A/B or AV/BV 4x12 and 2556 A/B or AV/BV 2x12 were the original options. Can anyone confirm that and any thoughts on 4x12 vs 2x12 with a 2550?

Last edited:

dptone5

Reaction score
Beautiful amp and HNAD!! Congratulations!!

I have an original mint 1990 Black Jubilee. What a great amp. So versatile and the EQ is very responsive.

I know that many love the Marshall V30's with the Jubilee, but I am a 25 Watt Greenback guy (G12M). For what I play, blues, classic rock, 80's hard rock, the Greenbacks just do the trick.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Now I am on the hunt for a matching cab for my 2550 50w jubilee head. Quick research shows 2551 A/B or AV/BV 4x12 and 2556 A/B or AV/BV 2x12 were the original options. Can anyone confirm that and any thoughts on 4x12 vs 2x12 with a 2550?
Although the original Silver Jubilee cabs could come with G12Vintage, the vast majority came with the G12T-75. The combos on the other hand always came with the G12Vintage. I had a G12 Vintage in a combo version once and still have it.

My Jubilee 4x12 B cab came with the G12T-75s and I hated them the Jubilee. I replaced them with Mesa Boogie Vintage 30s and it was so much better. Then many years later I took them out and put in 25 watt Greenbacks for several years. One day I pulled a pair of the Mesa V30s out of mothballs and put them in a 2x12 and it was like coming home. I also tried my G12 Vintage from the combo amp and it also sounds great but the Mesa versions are warmer sounding. I built a THD rear ported 2x12 clone and loaded two V30s into that and it has become my go to cab with the Jubilee, both my 50 watt and my 2525H. The Greenbacks work good with my 50 watt Jubilee, but the V30s are perfection with the Jubilee, in my opinion.

The 2x12 for the original Jubilee series was a silver tolex 1966. It's a closed back diaganol 2x12 with the same out side dimensions as the the Marshall 4x10. They sound great.

The current silver tolex 2x12 is the 1936 with the G12Vintage in either vertical slanted or horizotal straight alignments. The re-issue silver 4x12s also use the G12Vintage.

Last edited: