• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NAD: Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555X re-issue

• Thread starter CreepBG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CreepBG

Reaction score
Look what the UPS guy brought me today: the ugly bastard of JCM 800 - it's the Silver Jubilee 2555X re-issue:

Marshall_2555Xa.jpg

Born in week 26 of 2020 in England, UK.

Never touched a Silver Jube before, can someone confirm that the pots for the Output Master and the Input Gain feel different (I know they are different due to push-pull, but they also feel kind of strange when turning compared to the other dials). All other pots are Marshall quality ones, but those two feel cheap and kind of light, but not in a good way.

Been looking for one of these for several months already before finally pulling the trigger. Very much like the tones out of it and also very easy to dial for low-level ear-friendly volume. The EQ actually works, as opposed to my other Marshalls (JCM 900 from the pic above and Studio Classic SC20H). Quite happy with the purchase!

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first 2555x I got brand new from sweetwater had a stiff pot. I mean real stiff, as in hard to turn. I sent it back and got another.

There are reports of people who just kept the amps with the stiff pots, only to have them seize up over time and break the shaft.

Make sure none of them are hard to turn. Thats bad.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Look what the UPS guy brought me today: the ugly bastard of JCM 800 - it's the Silver Jubilee 2555X re-issue:

View attachment 85036

Born in week 26 of 2020 in England, UK.

Never touched a Silver Jube before, can someone confirm that the pots for the Output Master and the Input Gain feel different (I know they are different due to push-pull, but they also feel kind of strange when turning compared to the other dials).

Been looking for one of these for several months already before finally pulling the trigger. Very much like the tones out of it and also very easy to dial for low-level ear-friendly volume. The EQ actually works, as opposed to my other Marshalls (JCM 900 from the pic above and Studio Classic SC20H). Quite happy with the purchase!
Congratulations I have never played through a Jube, but most people that have them, love them !!
Play it in good health my brother.
Cheers
Mitch

CreepBG

Reaction score
The first 2555x I got brand new from sweetwater had a stiff pot. I mean real stiff, as in hard to turn. I sent it back and got another.

There are reports of people who just kept the amps with the stiff pots, only to have them seize up over time and break the shaft.

Make sure none of them are hard to turn. Thats bad.

No, not stiff at all, but quite the opposite!
Actually, all pots feel great and exactly as of my other Marshall amps, except for the Output Master and Input Gain which I don't know how to describe, but they feel cheap (not buttery) and at the same time - kind of light, not in a good way.

Congratulations I have never played through a Jube, but most people that have them, love them !!
Play it in good health my brother.
Cheers
Mitch

Thank you, Mitch!!! Cheers, brother!

Last edited:

headcrash

Reaction score
No, not stiff at all, but quite the opposite!
Actually, all pots feel great and exactly as of my other Marshall amps, except for the Output Master and Input Gain which I don't know how to describe, but they feel cheap (not buttery) and at the same time - kind of light, not in a good way.

Thank you, Mitch!!! Cheers, brother!

Think it might have to do with those two pots being the push-pull ones. On my DYI Jubilee clone, I used Alpha pots for the "normal" pots as well as for the push pull ones. Same thing here, the push-pull ones are not stiff.

And I think I remmeber that was the case with my Jube combo back in the 90s.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Great choice. My favorite Marshall. I have had mine since they released in 2015 and I haven't noticed anything with the pots being weird. I did have an issue with the amp sounding bad due to the bias being set improperly in the factory or changing in shipping. I biased both sides to 70 and the thing just came to life.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great choice. My favorite Marshall. I have had mine since they released in 2015 and I haven't noticed anything with the pots being weird. I did have an issue with the amp sounding bad due to the bias being set improperly in the factory or changing in shipping. I biased both sides to 70 and the thing just came to life.
Factory bias...That is a valid point. Mine was biased all f-ed as well..and unbalanced. 72 a pair made a huge difference. Check it for sure.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you remember how far off yours was? Mine had one side at 60 and the other was like 85. I believe the sticker said anything over 80 was "Dangerous".
I don't recall exact numbers but something similar to yours. I do know I was kinda shocked how far off it was. It was Brand new in the box.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I don't recall exact numbers but something similar to yours. I do know I was kinda shocked how far off it was. It was Brand new in the box.

It made a big difference on the sound. I almost sent it back since it sounded so terrible. I have heard that they leave the factory with a cold bias to keep the tube failures down. I typically see people getting them in the 60 -65 per side range. I wonder how many Jubilee/reissue haters played an amp that was biased wrong.

CreepBG

Reaction score
Mine sounds awesome out of the box and I'm too lazy to remove the back plate and measure the bias :D
It's just the different/not-so-buttery feel to that Output Master and Input Gain pots that is a bit worrying, but I choose to believe that it is normal due to the fact that those are indeed different components (Push-Pull)...

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Mine sounds awesome out of the box and I'm too lazy to remove the back plate and measure the bias :D
It's just the different/not-so-buttery feel to that Output Master and Input Gain pots that is a bit worrying, but I choose to believe it is due to the fact those are indeed different components due to the Push-Pull functionality they have...

When I took my back panel off I noticed that they didn't glue the tolex down very well and a big flap of it had been tucked behind the panel. I am pretty sure you would notice if the bias was off as much as mine was. Mine felt super weak. The panel has like 5 or 6 screws and the bias test points make it really easy to check. The only thing I had issue with was the bias screws seemed to be really sensitive. A tiny little turn could make a drastic difference.