• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Connecting Origin 20 to speaker cabs

• Thread starter Rev Tom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
If it is one of the early Origins without the speaker jack fix you can only run either 1x16ohm cab or 1x8ohm cab. You can't run 2 at the same time. If you try to plug into both 8 ohm jacks only one cab will work. Once the fix is done then the 2x8 ohm jacks become either 1x8ohm or 2x16 ohm jacks. Then you will have the option of running 1x8ohm, 1x16ohm or 2x16ohm. 2x8ohm isn't an option.

What kind of stupid horse shit is this? Why would the dumbasses at Marsha lamps even do something so ridiculously asinine? What would be the point of two 8 ohm jacks if it's only possible to use one at a time?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Plugging two 16 ohm cabs into the middle and far right jacks is fine on your early Ori20.

On most amps with a pair of "1x8 or 2x16" jacks, if you're running just one 8 ohm cab you can use either of the paired jacks. The original labeling made it appear you could use either jack like most amps.

But for some reason on the Ori20 they wired the jacks so that you have to plug a single 8 ohm cab into the middle jack. The far right jack is turned off unless there's something plugged into the middle jack. So a single cab plugged into the far left cab isn't actually connected to the output transformer -- it's an open load like having nothing plugged into the amp at all.

One 16 in the far left jack
Or
One 8 in the middle jack
Or
Two 16's in the middle and far right jacks
If you plug an 8ohm cab into the right hand socket on it's own there is sound, but it doesn't sound good. Then there is smoke and a smell of dead fish....don't ask me how I know this. 😣

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of stupid horse shit is this? Why would the dumbasses at Marsha lamps even do something so ridiculously asinine? What would be the point of two 8 ohm jacks if it's only possible to use one at a time?
I think I used almost exactly those words after nearly toasting my Ori20H. 😕