NAD - Origin 5 fail

• Thread starter PaulHikeS2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
I've been wanting an Origin 20 head, but have hesitated as it's just too big and would look silly with any of my cabs. That will be something for when I have a bigger space.

Came across an Origin 5 combo used from GC for $250 - was a price I'm comfortable with and I have a nice 1x12 to play it through if the 8" speaker underperforms as I would expect. I paid to have it shipped to the nearest New Hampshire GC as I could dodge the MA sales tax. Good thing, as I decided to unpack and test - DOA. The light came on, but no sound. Checked everything one would reasonably check in store, and then the power light stopped coming on. Really bummed, as I was looking forward to something I could crank and get a vintage-like sound. Really glad I chose ship to store - able to leave the amp and all the packaging behind and immediately get refunded. Would have been a pain otherwise. Well - here it is, pic of what I would have had if it worked.

Origin 5 resize.jpg

jmp45

Reaction score
Maybe have GC take a look at it? Decades ago I picked up a 9005 power amp from GC that had issues with power button. It would not power up IIRC. I asked to have it checked out and I'd purchase if fixed. They did and I took it home for $200. Another stop I was going to pick up a used G Major that had an issue with a broken encoder. They knocked off quite a bit. Took it home, ordered an encoder and repaired.

Unless things have changed GC should be able to work with you on it.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Maybe have GC take a look at it? Decades ago I picked up a 9005 power amp from GC that had issues with power button. It would not power up IIRC. I asked to have it checked out and I'd purchase if fixed. They did and I took it home for $200. Another stop I was going to pick up a used G Major that had an issue with a broken encoder. They knocked off quite a bit. Took it home, ordered an encoder and repaired.

Unless things have changed GC should be able to work with you on it.
Didn't even think of that - and they didn't offer. Thanks, if I come across this situation again, definitely worth trying.

Kutt

Reaction score
Nashua? Portsmouth? Just curious.

Sorry to read about your troubles. GC generally has a suck factor of 9 out of 10.

Kutt

Reaction score
Nashua - it's about 30 miles away via back roads.
I'm in your neck of the woods.

I too bought a used amp from them about a year ago and had it shipped. Man was it a mess. It technically functioned but the pots and jacks were nearly toast and I think it sat near a deep fryer for most its life. I was coated in a light greasy sticky film. Took me hours to disassemble it, clean and tighten all the pots and jacks, and try to get the scum off it. The condition was far from as-advertised. I called them up and gave them an earful. They gave me some money back, which was fair enough.

Hope you can find another or get it sorted out.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
That's not good. I bet when you unboxed it that you thought it would be in perfect order because of the packaging.

The Origin FX loop has caught me out a few times with no sound, but no power is a bad trip. I hope things work out next time.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
That's not good. I bet when you unboxed it that you thought it would be in perfect order because of the packaging.

The Origin FX loop has caught me out a few times with no sound, but no power is a bad trip. I hope things work out next time.
Yeah - when it still had a power light I tried jumping the fx loop in my "not opening up the sucker" troubleshooting.

Latest posts