[NAD] Silver Jubilee 2525h

• Thread starter Maxbrothman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I also need to find a better mic placement. I was dead center of the Creamback with the SM57 and to the side with the V30 and an e906.

Also, I have a question about the Orange 1x12 cab. The logos are dead center of the speaker and above.

preview_1.jpg

Does that impact tone? Are they forcing you to use the sides?

Maybe I should introduce another microphone type to my setup. Hopefully, nothing that costs a ridiculous price.

Also I only have two delays. The Boss DD3 for the JCM and others and the Belle Epoch Deluxe for my Plexi.

Any idea what delay works with this Jubilee. I wasn't so happy with it in this setup but maybe I was using it wrong.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Maxbrothman, I’m not able to listen to any of the new clips, they all come up “blank”.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Another question. I have used an attenuator with the SC20h and the SV20h and when I put it on high mode yesterday I added an attenuator. Shouldn't the Master volume be good enough with this amp and no attenuator needed? I have read mixed things.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Okay so I think the Master volume is really good on this amp and makes it a completely different beast. I didn't realize I could have the lead gain up to 10, main input gain on 3 and the master at 3 and it sounds fine.

Is that how this amp works? Again, I am totally new to this Marshall and it unlike anything I have played before.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
@Maxbrothman, I’m not able to listen to any of the new clips, they all come up “blank”.

So I went back to the start again. No pedalboard. Direct to the amp. This time I turned up the lead and down with the Master and hit low mode so it was manageable in my bedroom.

Just to put things in perspective. I am in my mid-40s and started guitar in my late 30s to rekindle my youth in the 80s and 90s which involved listening to music of this kind. Marshall using bands mainly. Tapes and walkman. The dawn of MTV, etc.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Okay so I think the Master volume is really good on this amp and makes it a completely different beast. I didn't realize I could have the lead gain up to 10, main input gain on 3 and the master at 3 and it sounds fine.

Is that how this amp works? Again, I am totally new to this Marshall and it unlike anything I have played before.
Oh yeah it has nice master with a gradual taper. Way different from a JCM800 which comes on fast.

I use very high output master settings. I would rather use the low power mode on the 2525H than turn the master down to 6. I also use fairly high input gain setting from 6 to 8 although I don't play heavy music. I basically set the amp volume using the lead master -as much as needed. I'm also a volume knob rider on the guitar. I can go from cleanish to full on lead with out doing any tap dancing, with most of my guitars through this amp.

I also will use the clean channel once in awhile. In my case the gain and EQ which works for the overdrive channel also works for the clean. In that case I set the volume of the clean channel first, and then balance the overdrive channel against that using the lead master.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question. I have used an attenuator with the SC20h and the SV20h and when I put it on high mode yesterday I added an attenuator. Shouldn't the Master volume be good enough with this amp and no attenuator needed? I have read mixed things.
I use an attenuator about half of the time, maybe a little more. I’m an at home player now so I’m playing at lower volumes, about 3.5 on the master in 5 watt mode, and about only a bit over 2 on the master in the 20 watt mode.

When I’m using an attenuator, I’m able to crank the master to whatever level I like, or can stand! Lots of times I’ll have my master on my SC20 at 8 or higher, and I’m sitting almost right in front of the cab.

So I’ve got the best of both worlds, I like being able to balance the master and the preamp volumes in different ways. Sometimes with a predominant preamp tone, sometimes with a predominant power tube leaning.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I also need to find a better mic placement. I was dead center of the Creamback with the SM57 and to the side with the V30 and an e906.

Also, I have a question about the Orange 1x12 cab. The logos are dead center of the speaker and above.

preview_1.jpg

Does that impact tone? Are they forcing you to use the sides?

Generally slightly off the cone center to get more low end and less harsh.
Maybe I should introduce another microphone type to my setup. Hopefully, nothing that costs a ridiculous price.

Also I only have two delays. The Boss DD3 for the JCM and others and the Belle Epoch Deluxe for my Plexi.

Any idea what delay works with this Jubilee. I wasn't so happy with it in this setup but maybe I was using it wrong.
How were you using it? Any delay should work fine. Did you run it in the loop?

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I use an attenuator about half of the time, maybe a little more. I’m an at home player now so I’m playing at lower volumes, about 3.5 on the master in 5 watt mode, and about only a bit over 2 on the master in the 20 watt mode.

When I’m using an attenuator, I’m able to crank the master to whatever level I like, or can stand! Lots of times I’ll have my master on my SC20 at 8 or higher, and I’m sitting almost right in front of the cab.

So I’ve got the best of both worlds, I like being able to balance the master and the preamp volumes in different ways. Sometimes with a predominant preamp tone, sometimes with a predominant power tube leaning.

What attenuators are the most transparent? I have the Captor X but it's limited to full, half power, or home use. You can get stuck sometimes between needing something between home use and half power. I have another one with a full range dial but it has some tone suck/colors tone.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Generally slightly off the cone center to get more low end and less harsh.

How were you using it? Any delay should work fine. Did you run it in the loop?
I was using it in the loop but I have gone back to the start, direct to amp, and learned more about the master volume.

That is the sound from the last video I did, which was recorded on my phone, no microphones on cabs yet.

So I will get that right first and then pedalboard next with the DD3 in there to see.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
By the way, I am just looking at this stage to see if this amp is sounding like it should or not in that video clip. If not, I would like to know because getting things close to right at the source means then I can work from that. If it's not right there, then nothing else will be.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I don't understand all your concerns, if it sounds good to you, that's good, right?

Instead, you should spend your time simply playing the guitar.
You are correct on the whole play more guitar and less tone chasing. However, this is my first encounter with this type of amp and I would just like to get it right. I think the first Soundcloud example I did sounded like a bag of hammers the next day. I would love to be able to work all this stuff out on my own but it often helps if people just say, okay you have too much gain and not enough mids, or something like that. I hope I don't come across like I am looking for people to worship my playing and often I think it is the opposite of that. Yes, I enjoy it no matter what, but my bias (no pun intended) will creep into things. I have had amps before and played them for over a year before someone showed me how it should be done. Not the first time that happened either. So I value the input of others and I like asking questions to help sort of narrow things down a bit.

Anyway today I decided it was time for the pedalboard.

I did not like the Boss DD3 and Boss SD-1 with this amp at the start.

Today they seemed to work just fine. I was playing around more with the VM, LM and IG.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
You are correct on the whole play more guitar and less tone chasing. However, this is my first encounter with this type of amp and I would just like to get it right. I think the first Soundcloud example I did sounded like a bag of hammers the next day. I would love to be able to work all this stuff out on my own but it often helps if people just say, okay you have too much gain and not enough mids, or something like that. I hope I don't come across like I am looking for people to worship my playing and often I think it is the opposite of that. Yes, I enjoy it no matter what, but my bias (no pun intended) will creep into things. I have had amps before and played them for over a year before someone showed me how it should be done. Not the first time that happened either. So I value the input of others and I like asking questions to help sort of narrow things down a bit.

Anyway today I decided it was time for the pedalboard.

I did not like the Boss DD3 and Boss SD-1 with this amp at the start.

Today they seemed to work just fine. I was playing around more with the VM, LM and IG.
No real correct way to set things. We all do things a bit differently. We also have different tastes as to what we lkke to hear.
I would run delay in the loop.
Some people use the gain on like 4 but I am more of a high gain guy so 8-10 on gain lead channel for me.
I use clean channel for cleanish once in awhile so set Lead channel volume according to the clean volume.
Others set master high.
Play with stuff and go with what sounds good to you!

Jubilant

Reaction score
I don't understand all your concerns, if it sounds good to you, that's good, right?

Instead, you should spend your time simply playing the guitar.
I don’t think this was a personal dig towards you.I think it was sound advice.With that said this is a great place to discuss all things Marshall and some of the best guys to do it with.This particular amp does require some patience if you stick with it great results can follow.I’ve found that I have different settings for each of my guitars.
For instance my settings when using my Malmsteen strat
P-5
B-7
M-7
T-7
OM-8
LM-To taste
IG-3
I have a boss delay/reverb in the loop and a Malmsteen overdrive set to 60% on the drive and level.The amp can be dark set at noon but I like some treble bite so setting the presence at 5,treble at 7 and the overdrive adds some treble as well due to it’s design.

When I use my Gibson V I don’t use an overdrive.Maybe a clean boost but usually straight in to the amp.It has medium output Duncan pearly gates pickups.
P-5
B-5
M-7
T-8
OM-8
LM-to taste
IG-6

Good day!

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
No real correct way to set things. We all do things a bit differently. We also have different tastes as to what we lkke to hear.
I would run delay in the loop.
Some people use the gain on like 4 but I am more of a high gain guy so 8-10 on gain lead channel for me.
I use clean channel for cleanish once in awhile so set Lead channel volume according to the clean volume.
Others set master high.
Play with stuff and go with what sounds good to you!
I suppose it's true that all rigs are different and amps also. So we have to dial them in blind. Whatever gets you there, gets you there sort of thing.

I think what is throwing me off a bit is that I am used to the SC20 being a one-trick pony and the SV20 changes I work with are most jumping it and dialing the normal and high treb. I am guessing at this early stage that 2525h probably has a lot more versatility in tones.

What I have been doing with the 2525h is putting a Boss GE7 in the chain and shaping that to get a tone I like and then turning it off and trying to adjust the EQ on the amp, sort of reflecting what I did on the EQ. It seems the EQs on this have a way more range.

I am loving this amp, but it really is a world away from any other Marshall I have used and yet sounds like a Marshall.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I don’t think this was a personal dig towards you.I think it was sound advice.With that said this is a great place to discuss all things Marshall and some of the best guys to do it with.This particular amp does require some patience if you stick with it great results can follow.I’ve found that I have different settings for each of my guitars.
For instance my settings when using my Malmsteen strat
P-5
B-7
M-7
T-7
OM-8
LM-To taste
IG-3
I have a boss delay/reverb in the loop and a Malmsteen overdrive set to 60% on the drive and level.The amp can be dark set at noon but I like some treble bite so setting the presence at 5,treble at 7 and the overdrive adds some treble as well due to it’s design.

When I use my Gibson V I don’t use an overdrive.Maybe a clean boost but usually straight in to the amp.It has medium output Duncan pearly gates pickups.
P-5
B-5
M-7
T-8
OM-8
LM-to taste
IG-6

Good day!

Hmmm... I didn't think of using single coils with this yet. I do for the SV20. I have a Fender Vintera 60s Strat. So I might give that a whirl on it. Thanks.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I suppose it's true that all rigs are different and amps also. So we have to dial them in blind. Whatever gets you there, gets you there sort of thing.

I think what is throwing me off a bit is that I am used to the SC20 being a one-trick pony and the SV20 changes I work with are most jumping it and dialing the normal and high treb. I am guessing at this early stage that 2525h probably has a lot more versatility in tones.

What I have been doing with the 2525h is putting a Boss GE7 in the chain and shaping that to get a tone I like and then turning it off and trying to adjust the EQ on the amp, sort of reflecting what I did on the EQ. It seems the EQs on this have a way more range.

I am loving this amp, but it really is a world away from any other Marshall I have used and yet sounds like a Marshall.
Very responsive EQ. Fun to play with

Moony

Reaction score
Regarding Mini Jube and attenuators - Johan Segeborn thinks you don't need one:

And he also prefers the Mini Jube over the 1 Watts 50th Anniversary amps:

screenshot2022-06-14a1fjeu.png