NAD Silver Jubilee 2555X

• Thread starter giam23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giam23

Reaction score
Just picked up this sweet mint 2555X locally! It’s been a while between valve Marshall’s after selling my original 87 2558 combo and my sv20, the katana just wasn’t doing it for me.

But as I purchased it with very short notice I don’t have a cab for it yet. I was thinking of purchasing an MX412B (I only want a straight cab) and upgrading the speakers eventually to V30s. But I’ve seen a lot of talk particularly on this forum that the mdf cabs aren’t worth the time of the day and to buy a ply cab.

So is it worth me buying a 1960A cab and upgrading it to v30s and selling the quad if g12t75s and then rebadge it with a vintage badge?

Can’t wait to crank this thing up, as I love to say “ I paid for 100 watts, I’m gonna use all 100 watts”

Attachments

• C893DB00-9BA0-4837-92BE-93D4E8D75395.jpeg
    C893DB00-9BA0-4837-92BE-93D4E8D75395.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 23

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
The MX cabs are fine; my brother uses a MX212 with V Types with his 2555x and DSL100HR and you would never know the difference. If you're able to find a good used 1960 then that would be a good option too.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this sweet mint 2555X locally! It’s been a while between valve Marshall’s after selling my original 87 2558 combo and my sv20, the katana just wasn’t doing it for me.

But as I purchased it with very short notice I don’t have a cab for it yet. I was thinking of purchasing an MX412B (I only want a straight cab) and upgrading the speakers eventually to V30s. But I’ve seen a lot of talk particularly on this forum that the mdf cabs aren’t worth the time of the day and to buy a ply cab.

So is it worth me buying a 1960A cab and upgrading it to v30s and selling the quad if g12t75s and then rebadge it with a vintage badge?

Can’t wait to crank this thing up, as I love to say “ I paid for 100 watts, I’m gonna use all 100 watts”
I'm excited for you, Marco.

If you're looking to buy 4 new V30's to add to an MX cab, you might want to factor this in first. Last time I bought one, they were $95:

1655275833490.png

Last edited:

David Rivers

Reaction score

plywood cabs are better..do not use the mdf cabs

Kelia

Reaction score

Man I see you're at the end of the world where birds turn around ! lol !
Can't you find a used AV cab near where you live ,that would be the best deal for you I guess !

monio

Reaction score
If you are about to upgrade speakers you should try WGS veteran 30 and ET65 combination either way is 2 x12 or 4 x 12 ( X pattern ) in case that you like V30s sound but want some extra freq response. But I must say that Celestions C12M 65 Creambacks are my first option for Jubilee, hot rod jcms, friedman style of amps. Creambacks covers it all, from low volumen crunchy tones to melt facing hi gain 100 watts situations. I tried a lot (also some Eminence) and creamsbacks are the most versatile. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Suttondrive

Reaction score

MDF cabinets are perfectly fine. Read up on them. MDF construction adds the least amount of interference to the tone of the speakers in your cabinet. If, however, you are gigging or will be carting the cabinet around, pine is a better alternative as it is much more durable.

giam23

Reaction score
Man I see you're at the end of the world where birds turn around ! lol !
Can't you find a used AV cab near where you live ,that would be the best deal for you I guess !
Im in australia and the BV cabs rarely ever come up for sale. Occaisionally a 1960 lead with the g12t75s comes up for just over 400 aud.

otherwise ive got 2 options, i can buy an MX212 cabinet for $275usd with the 70/80s in it which will inevitably get upgraded to v30s eventually. Or i can spend $35us more and get a joyo 212 cab with v30s already in it but in an arguably worse cab. This cab wont leave my guitar room at all and will sit in one spot

67mike

Reaction score
I would not waste money on mdf cab. Period.

Wait or find a proper cab.

Phoenix1

Reaction score

Spend the money and get the better cabs ! I have a full stack ordered since October because i want the British sound and not the Viet Nam sound and the only thing I have got is the A cab. So anxious, i plugged it in to my DSL head and there is no comparison between the MX412 and the warm rich sound of the SJ 2551A cabinet. I just cant wait until I get the whole rig.0779EF94-980A-4BA7-991D-A2DA5E486EA1.jpeg

giam23

Reaction score
Spend the money and get the better cabs ! I have a full stack ordered since October because i want the British sound and not the Viet Nam sound and the only thing I have got is the A cab. So anxious, i plugged it in to my DSL head and there is no comparison between the MX412 and the warm rich sound of the SJ 2551A cabinet. I just cant wait until I get the whole rig.View attachment 109832
thanks for your thoughts. i think im going to buy the joyo cab now as its got the v30s in it which I want and its all plywood. I'll then eventually get a 1960VB cab if one comes up for a good price

Kelia

Reaction score
Im in australia and the BV cabs rarely ever come up for sale. Occaisionally a 1960 lead with the g12t75s comes up for just over 400 aud.

otherwise ive got 2 options, i can buy an MX212 cabinet for $275usd with the 70/80s in it which will inevitably get upgraded to v30s eventually. Or i can spend $35us more and get a joyo 212 cab with v30s already in it but in an arguably worse cab. This cab wont leave my guitar room at all and will sit in one spot
Just to remind you that the V30's are really not the same sound wise as the G12 Vintage which are sweeter and what Slash is using , just saying .
Hope you find the perfect match for your amp and congrats by the way !

I would even add that once well broken in , the G12 V's had a similar feel to my old Pre Rola's G12H's Bass cones.

Last edited:

Angrycolon

Reaction score

Congrats on the new amp! Options are always nice. At least that is my excuse for having a room full of cabs. lol So get it all!!!! Be sure to pick up some hearing aids though while you are out. 100watts...ouch. You gettin' on dem' big stages! :hbang:

CbusBrian

Reaction score

Get a Harley Benton cab. They come with V30’s. I replaced two of them with GreenBacks & they sound great together.

Chris Banuelos

Reaction score

Why not just buy a 1960vintage cab instead of re-badging a 1960lead

El Gringo

Reaction score
Just to remind you that the V30's are really not the same sound wise as the G12 Vintage which are sweeter and what Slash is using , just saying .
Hope you find the perfect match for your amp and congrats by the way !

I would even add that once well broken you , the G12 V's had a similar feel to my old Pre Rola's G12H's Bass cones.
Wow , that's mighty fine praise for broken in V30's ! Very Cool !!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts