NAD: SV20h

• Thread starter svinyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svinyard

Reaction score
Finally got that used SV20 head last week. The thing is brand new. Crazy. Boy these things sure are pretty to look at. All the gold trim and craftsmanship on the outsides are realllllly nice. My first plexi and WOOOOOOOOOOWWW. This thing is incredible...for a lot of reasons.

I can play it clean on like .4 20w volume and be fine indoors with wife at home and no earplugs. Sheesh...the clean is sooo cool too. I've found myself just playing acoustic style stuff on it and it sounds amazing. Its like two different tones from the low to high strings. The lower mids are thick and punchy (that cab is doing work) but then the upper mids and highs have SO MUCH character and sound so different. The pops chirps and glassy but twangy tone...it's sooo cool. I LOVE the cleans even on low volume. You get all these big dynamics from picking things differently, it's like playing a really nice acoustic but with a weird organic tone and character.

Turning it up to mid volume also incredible. I mean...playing ACDC stuff on the bright channel etc...it's just it. Especially for that awesome high voltage tone. There is NO MISTAKING the unbridled SIZZLE and touch dynamics and the sustain for days and feedback. It's not just the tone but that sizzle is wild. It's amazing. And then the lows just BARK OUT and punch you. This is not like the other amps I've played recently...at all. Plenty of headroom fwiw and its loud and clean...if I needed WAY more clean volume I'd be mic'ing it like Stroud or need an entirely bigger cab stack and obviously a 1987/1959SL. So this is a non-issue. Higher volume and I simply roll the guitar volume to 8 and it's all good with a slightly warmer tone and less breakup and PLENTY of growl.

Also impressive is there is WIDE swing of tones here. Like a wide swing. Jumping the cables and tuning the respective volumes changes everything. Then you jump between humbuckers and volume knobs and it's insane how much different things become. The sizzle will be gone. It can get real heavy on the bass (without touching the bass knobs). Darker with less breakup etc etc etc. The beauty is that...they all sound freaking bad ass. It's not like its 2nd rate. I find myself playing all this other music I didn't expect to play out of this and it's just flat out fun. Everything is super organic and just...different.

Then you crank it to 10 and it's just a blast. It's not a mushy blast either, like its real fun on big open chords on 10..you feel those E-minors in your chest...its just a beast (in my little studio office at least). I think a good bit of this is the 1965a Cab that Gene made me buy 😉. When I run my DSL through it, it wipes away any of the negative EQ stuff that bothers me about the combo. Like I turn the knobs and there is no bad tone to be found. All the bass works without boomy. All treble highs are no longer screetchy and it handles gain a LOT better. I'm sure the SV20 is getting the same advantage.

(oh and yeah that's a blue Keith Urban REAL not fancy guitar...no idea how that made into my house but there it is...polluting my picture lol).

SV20_1965cab.jpg

Last edited:

svinyard

Reaction score
I can see the amp, great looking setup, BUT all I can see is acoustic's, where's the ELECTRIC's?
My guitars on the side (where I can grab them quick). They aren't anything special. I could use an upgrade there someday but they do the trick. Classic Vibes Squire HSS (surprisingly good! Just need better humbucker) and Epiphone Les Paul.

Happy new amp day!
Is there a problem with the picture? I can‘t see it.
Fixed...I added it in different way this time so it works on mobile.

speyfly

Reaction score
My guitars on the side (where I can grab them quick). They aren't anything special. I could use an upgrade there someday but they do the trick. Classic Vibes Squire HSS (surprisingly good! Just need better humbucker) and Epiphone Les Paul.

Fixed...I added it in different way this time so it works on mobile.
If it makes you smile when you're playing, It is special no matter what what the badging says. Nothing wrong with Squire or Epi guitars.

svinyard

Reaction score
How loud is it? 😁
Good question. So 5 or 20w doesn't seem to be a massive difference but the 20w is fatter tone of the two.

I can play it clean without earplugs or pissing my wife off. It's clean with a beautiful tone. Volume is at like 0.4. It's JUST barely turned up to where it makes sound and a touch further. I'm not getting any breakup of course but it's a really really fun clean. All the weird cool plexi stuff still happens. The chirps and blues tones...the sustain is still there mostly with the sensitivity. (it's cool in that if you hold a note hard...it'll just keep going...it doesn't die out, tho moreso with some volume. Very different than my DSL). On my Les Paul I like the middle position a lot for the clean.

When I turn it up further, it gets loud quickly...but then it doesn't go from loud to astronomically loud. Maybe that's the cab I've got but I'm in a small room and with -15d hifi earbuds, I'm still pretty good at like a 6 or 7 on the volume. I ran it at 10 for a while today and I didn't have any ear pain like that while playing it that loud in a smaller room, but afterwards I thought I could feel some compression. Maybe that's just my ear buds.

For reference, I can play my DSL40 pretty low and obviously get some distortion, decent tone but I don't love that tone until I can turn it up a bit either. SV20 seems about as loud as the Origin 50 and my DSL40 for the most part when cranking them. Regardless, I'm looking forward to my M2 Attenuator that's coming in the near future :).

LCW

Reaction score
Good question. So 5 or 20w doesn't seem to be a massive difference but the 20w is fatter tone of the two.

I can play it clean without earplugs or pissing my wife off. It's clean with a beautiful tone. Volume is at like 0.4. It's JUST barely turned up to where it makes sound and a touch further. I'm not getting any breakup of course but it's a really really fun clean. All the weird cool plexi stuff still happens. The chirps and blues tones...the sustain is still there mostly with the sensitivity. (it's cool in that if you hold a note hard...it'll just keep going...it doesn't die out, tho moreso with some volume. Very different than my DSL). On my Les Paul I like the middle position a lot for the clean.

When I turn it up further, it gets loud quickly...but then it doesn't go from loud to astronomically loud. Maybe that's the cab I've got but I'm in a small room and with -15d hifi earbuds, I'm still pretty good at like a 6 or 7 on the volume. I ran it at 10 for a while today and I didn't have any ear pain like that while playing it that loud in a smaller room, but afterwards I thought I could feel some compression. Maybe that's just my ear buds.

For reference, I can play my DSL40 pretty low and obviously get some distortion, decent tone but I don't love that tone until I can turn it up a bit either. SV20 seems about as loud as the Origin 50 and my DSL40 for the most part when cranking them. Regardless, I'm looking forward to my M2 Attenuator that's coming in the near future :).
Thanks for the description. Very helpful. I wonder how the ST20 (mini JTM45) would compare in terms of loudness to the SV - if it’s really any quieter. Guessing not… ???

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@svinyard
Steve,
Organic is an aptly accurate description of the SV20 through a great set of speakers, at all volume levels. I'm so glad you're having fun with it! The unique thing about this amp is how even lower guitar volume settings become more useful than ever imagined, instead of just getting muffled sounding. The added available brightness of the amp allows us to actually realize what the tone and volume controls on the guitar can really accomplish! And yeah, even sustainy feedback hints at low, clean volumes, what a kick in the @$$!
Still Enjoyin'
Gene

Last edited: