• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NAD: Ye Olde DSL40c

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

end user

Reaction score
Why I ever sold my last one I will never know but I just got a trade offer of a DSL40c in minty shape with a cover and a Friedman BE-OD pedal for my Mesa Boogie DC-3 head and I accepted. Doing the trade tonight and I am pretty excited as I really miss the one I had. I plan to re-house it in one of those stagecraft head shells ASAP.

For most the stuff I do I treat these like a single channel amp and live on classic green with some pedals to do the rest. I have found that turning the channel volume way up and controlling overall volume with the gain knob yields me the most "Marshall" out of these things. I do like the ultra channel for low volume noodling and such but I remember not getting along with it that well at high volumes. Works for me because classic green is so good and all I need.

I will be putting it through a horizontal 2x12 of English V30's. I know some report they don't like these through V30's but I absolutely loved mine through them I remember.

I'm pretty stoked. Getting it at the perfect time as I just joined a startup 80's metal tribute band.

end user

Reaction score
3x12 is better than 1x12! Satellites are the best compliment you can have to fatten up a 1x12 combo!

perfecto!

If I remember right though doesn't the built in speaker get disabled when using an external cab?

end user

Reaction score
The Internal Speaker is cabled with a Plug that populates the 16ohm output jack on the stock 40C

Right and when connecting a 16ohm cab in another port, that disengages the internal speaker port correct? The manual is confusing.

end user

Reaction score
@bobpick68
Nope .. The dongle is literally plugged into the 16ohm jack on the back of the amp.
If you were to connect an external 16ohm cab, you would want to move the Internal 16ohm dongle.. both would then plug into the “1-8ohm / 2-16ohm” jack set

Oh great. I understand it clearer now that you explained that way. Many thanks.

GregM

Reaction score
Happy Nad! Hope it's what you're after .
Alot of people put an 823 in the v1 slot too lower gain on the gnarlier sides yet remain the same on the green channel . Dunno how it works on the 40 as you have an orange channel . On my lil dsl5cr though it works a treat

PelliX

Reaction score
Noice amp, congrats! I always found the Classic channels the better ones, but I'm not playing a lot of modern stuff - some people swear by them. Try a different valve in there like outlined before you give up on the Ultra section - with some taming they become usable (IMO). :yesway:

Not surprised @Mitchell Pearrow appreciates this NAD.... :D

3x12 is better than 1x12! Satellites are the best compliment you can have to fatten up a 1x12 combo!

Totally! But the Stagecraft headshells are speakerless, so it's just a 2x12 + head setup, I'm guessing?

end user

Reaction score
Congrats man! I've really fallen in love with my DSL40c I recently got in a trade and like you I just use it as a single channel on green.

Tbh... *looks around the room* *whisper* between my Lead 12 and DSL40c my SV20 is collecting dust.....*shhhh*

Yeah I think the folks that bag on them about tone are trying to dial them like a 2203 JMP or something. They dial differently but the tones are there. In general what works for me is subtractive eq'ing (other than the mid dial) and volume over gain.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Noice amp, congrats! I always found the Classic channels the better ones, but I'm not playing a lot of modern stuff - some people swear by them. Try a different valve in there like outlined before you give up on the Ultra section - with some taming they become usable (IMO). :yesway:

Not surprised @Mitchell Pearrow appreciates this NAD.... :D

Totally! But the Stagecraft headshells are speakerless, so it's just a 2x12 + head setup, I'm guessing?
Hell yea often overlooked and passed on.
But the Dsl40c’s rock !!

Thanks