Need a refret!

• Thread starter chuckmehh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
I've played my ole LP for about five-six years heavily now, and I think the ole girl is due for some new frets. After playing the Parker I had for a while, I definitely want to go the SS route.

My question is, where should I go for a refret and how much should I expect to pay? If somebody on here would be willing to do it and boasts some good work, I'd be more than happy to send it your way!

Thanks fellas!

Hunter

Bart Eeltink

Reaction score
I've played my ole LP for about five-six years heavily now, and I think the ole girl is due for some new frets. After playing the Parker I had for a while, I definitely want to go the SS route.

My question is, where should I go for a refret and how much should I expect to pay? If somebody on here would be willing to do it and boasts some good work, I'd be more than happy to send it your way!

Thanks fellas!

Hunter

Ask Neal Moser!
He isn't cheap, but his fretting and setups are awesome!

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any luthier will tell you that you frets can be crowned again and be good as new without needing to replace any frets. They can be re-crowned about 3 times before the frets are shot. They call it a mill-crown-polish.

Definitely more feasible than the alternative, definitely worth a shot unless you're 100% completely sold to a larger gauge fret wire.

johnfv

Reaction score
Or worst case you might need a few of the most worn frets replaced. That's what my tech as done for me on my most worn guitars - replace the worst frets and then give it a good level/dress job...

Bart Eeltink

Reaction score
Check Stew Mac, they have great fret levelling tools, like radius blocks.
I do all my fretwork myself, it's not hard, but requires patience and precision.

Ken

Reaction score
I had my LP refretted about 10 years ago by a local guy. I think I spent around $200. I had bought the guitar new in 1977 and it's been my main guitar since so it needed it done.

If your LP is like mine, a thin layer of plastic from the bound neck is on top of the frets. This cannot be replaced, so the guy doing the work needs to be especially neat and detail oriented to make the fret ends smooth and cosmetically appealing. Talk to your guy about this before he starts work.

Refretting my guitar was a good move though; it was very worn and it plays like new now plus it looks great. Your level of satisfaction will be related to having a good luthier do the work.

Ken

chuckmehh

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I would consider recrowning and leveling, but I do want to go stainless steel for sure and also get a bit large fret wire. I'll be sure to mention everything you said too Ken, thanks for the heads up.

aspguitars

Reaction score
A refret on a Les Paul is quite a big job. As mentioned on here, a fret dress is probably the best option as long as your frets are not to badly grooved. I've done a few now and you have to be very careful with the neck binding, but as long as you are careful you can do it yourself. If you don't have the correct tools to put the contours back on the frets once they've been levelled, you could have problems. I would take it to a pro if you value your guitar. He will do the levelling, fret dressing and polishing and should finish of the job with a new set of strings, action and intonation set up.

Reactions: Ken