Need help with amp decision!

• Thread starter Highroller54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, scozz, they are not too far apart, but there is just something missing with the DSL, after hearing or playing the 2203. The part that blows my mind is that they were able to put that something into the SC20, although at less power. You will never have the thump of a 100-watt Marshall in a 20-watt amp, but there is serious magic in the SC20. It is definitely the real deal.
Yup, I agree LBSB, but some would disagree. I saw a post in a different thread where a member here called the SC20, (among other 20 watt amps), a “toy amp”!

Highroller54

Reaction score
So many suggestions and great observations. Still haven't decided. My initial search was for a vintage modern. I know where a mint half stack is at but it's way out of my budget and 400 mile drive. I kind of in a black hole where I live. There isn't anything used within 200 miles of me except that one JCM2000 DSL 100 I mentioned in my first post. This area has no music seen, so there isn't much to choose from. even Columbus seem to be lacking. I appreciate all the input and will keep searching. The used market is friggin stupid right now. Everything out the is way over priced or junk. Everyone seems to think what they sell is going to set them up for life, finance wise. Even the low budget MC, MX and MG 4x12's people are asking 1960A prices, and the 1960 cabs are way up from a year ago. I may have to wait for the feeding frenzy to calm down, right now everything is at a premium.

ampeq

Reaction score
Hello all,

Growing up my youth was spent playing Allman Brothers type music through Marshall 4 hollers and JMP’s. Later in life I purchased a JCM2000 DSL 100 and was pretty happy with it in the mainstream band I played in. At 62 those days are gone, but I’ve been trying to fulfil the itch of the sound of a real Marshall & 4x12 Cab. An hour or two here and there would get me jollies (Allman Bro’s, Lynard Skynyrd, Molly hatchet, but also like Ozzy, Metallica, Thin Lizzy and such)! A one trick pony won't work, need the guitar volume control realm! I’ve tried the DSL series, in-fact own two DSL 40c’s, but they’ve been unreliable and lack luster in the sound category ( tiered of spending money on repairs. There’s a guy near me that has a 2009 JCM 2000 DL 100 for sale, but its not in the greatest of condition. Suppose to go check it out on Weds. So to my question, if you had a limited budget of say $1000.00 what would you buy to satisfy the itch, a used JCM2000, a new origin 50, or something else.

Thank you for the help!
If you can spend $1000 or maybe slightly more you can buy a brand new hand wired amp. Go here and look at the British amps and hot rod Plexi amps. http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/british-style/

[URL]http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/hot-rodded-plexi/
[/URL]
I have the Chupacabra and the 2202, I wouldn’t trade either one for anything in their classes. You can also order them with custom appointments installed. I had a buffered loop put in the 2202 as well as a choke. Both of these amps can go down to bedroom volume or very loud. These are high quality amps with point to point wiring that can be kept going forever.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not go JCM 2000 any version anymore. I have one and I think the new 100 would be fine.

I have the Origin 50 too and through my EVH 412 it thrives on that ERA.

Marshmellow mentioned the SC800 with the Hot Mod V2? Phenomenal. I have the Lynch Mod version. Both are stellar.

The Origin would do it readily. So would the new 100 DSL's. So would the SC 800's with our mods.I

I'd go Origin 50H. What speakers? Mildly boost with an OD pedal. It loves that classic era.

bigbadorange

Reaction score
Some great amp suggestions. Speaker wise, I would recommend a 1965 cab. A little hard to find, but these medium sized 4x10 cabs sound VERY close to my 4x12s at about half the physical size and weight. I don't remember the last time I hauled a 4x12 to a gig, the 4x10s do the job and are so much easier to move. The 1966 cab is the same size but is a 2x12 cab. I have a couple 1966 cabs but they stay home. For me, something about 4 speakers just is the magic spot.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
If you can spend $1000 or maybe slightly more you can buy a brand new hand wired amp. Go here and look at the British amps and hot rod Plexi amps. http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/british-style/
http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/british-style/
http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/hot-rodded-plexi/
I have the Chupacabra and the 2202, I wouldn’t trade either one for anything in their classes. You can also order them with custom appointments installed. I had a buffered loop put in the 2202 as well as a choke. Both of these amps can go down to bedroom volume or very loud. These are high quality amps with point to point wiring that can be kept going forever.
Awesome amps, looooonnngggg wait for build and delivery now.

Crikey

Reaction score
Add 500 to your budget and take your pick of all the marshall clones they handwire

Seven

Reaction score
A lot of great suggestions, I'd say in your price range the Studio Classic 20 is a great choice but I also HIGHLY suggest to take a look at the Vintage Modern 2266 or 2466. It's got JTM/JMP flavor and in high dynamic range can get into JCM800 territory.

If you grew up playing 4 holers then the SV20 will be very familiar and hard to beat. The Origin series undoubtedly gets you in the ballpark of the early 4 holers.

All of these can be found around your budget.

I went thru a ABB phase and saw them live with Warren and Derek. I remember reading about Duane using a different kind of speaker at the time. Something about aluminum cone caps or something like that. You would have to read up on the history of his gear.

Either way, my guess is he played with volume more than gain, which was normal back then. With two drummers and percussion behind you, plus a Hammond in your right ear, volume was a basic requirement.

That being said, I now have the SV20H and SV212 vertical and on high power, jumped and into the high input (with clean-ish eq) I can get some of his tones.

I also have the VM combo since it first came out and it can also get you close to the DA sound, but again, it's a volume thing, not a gain thing. Trying to get speakers to break-up in a good way (not flubby) without too much gain means it's gonna be loud.

The secret is in the power amp, not the preamp.

Hearing protection is probably a good idea....:agreed:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Unfortunately the JVM forum site is gone, I’ve got no idea how that one is done or the cost to have it done.
Really really easy!! I even did it. Just a 250k pot and I didn't even need extra wire. If you like the change, then you have to drill a hole in back panel.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I would not go JCM 2000 any version anymore. I have one and I think the new 100 would be fine.

I have the Origin 50 too and through my EVH 412 it thrives on that ERA.

Marshmellow mentioned the SC800 with the Hot Mod V2? Phenomenal. I have the Lynch Mod version. Both are stellar.

The Origin would do it readily. So would the new 100 DSL's. So would the SC 800's with our mods.I

I'd go Origin 50H. What speakers? Mildly boost with an OD pedal. It loves that classic era.
Your post just made me think of something. Since you have an Origin, and the Lynch Mod, have you asked David if the Lynch Mod (or Hot Mod V2) would work in the Origin? Might be interesting to try, if it would.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your post just made me think of something. Since you have an Origin, and the Lynch Mod, have you asked David if the Lynch Mod (or Hot Mod V2) would work in the Origin? Might be interesting to try, if it would.

He's working with Marshall on it.

As of now? I tried it and it does not work. In this amp.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I would second the vote on the Origin 50, I just picked one up and I love it. I think it would do well with the types of bands you mentioned, obviously would require a hefty boost to get the harder rock. It has that old school Marshall sparkle and chime in spades to my ears. Much more so than any JCM 2000 series I owned....used to have a DSL50 and DSL100 back in the day. I always wanted the green channel on the DSl to be what the Origin 50 is!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would second the vote on the Origin 50, I just picked one up and I love it. I think it would do well with the types of bands you mentioned, obviously would require a hefty boost to get the harder rock. It has that old school Marshall sparkle and chime in spades to my ears. Much more so than any JCM 2000 series I owned....used to have a DSL50 and DSL100 back in the day. I always wanted the green channel on the DSl to be what the Origin 50 is!

I'm hoping we get a throttle for this amp.

I just love it's old school tone. Seriously! Makes me want to rock!:lol:

Congratz bud!

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Thanks Joe, that is cool we both have the Origin....we both used to have Joey Voltage modded JMP's then I got rid of mine, wondering if you still have yours? I got rid of a Peavey 6505 to fund the Origin 50, good riddance the the 6505, the origin is way more authentic marshall than I ever thought I would get for $500

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe, that is cool we both have the Origin....we both used to have Joey Voltage modded JMP's then I got rid of mine, wondering if you still have yours? I got rid of a Peavey 6505 to fund the Origin 50, good riddance the the 6505, the origin is way more authentic marshall than I ever thought I would get for $500

Yeah my friend. I love this amp. I have other amps...that sit. I have 2 that I play all the time. The Origin 50 and the SC.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I'll add again that the Origin is an incredible option if you want old school Marshall powertube distortion. I have the O20c and with the medium to low output you can get the powertube saturation at managble volumes. I have the VM 2266H and while it gets that classic Marshall tones it has to be LOUD to get the powertubes cooking.

My favorite aspect of my Origin is that sweet powertube crunch and grind at realistic in house volumes... I'm not talking TV volume but definitely not rattle the house to the ground volume either. Also on high 20 watt output this little 1x10 gets crazy loud.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Went and checked out the 2009 JCM2000 DSL 100 that's was for sale near me. Head is aggressive as hell, and has a real brilliant clean I've never heard from a Marshall, real Fender type stuff.

Its got a sticker on the rear from Wickam Audio. With just a few minutes of playing through the amp, I was getting tones from all different genre with just a twist of the guitar volume knob. I had to have it. So I walked away with the head, the MC412 cab, and a new looking in the box Digitech Jamman Stereo for $750.00. I don't think I did too bad.

The guy I bought it from has hardly used the amp, he bought it in 2011 from the original owner and put it in a closet for a day that never came. He's never done a thing to the amp, not even tubes, it has Savlana EL34's, not sure about the preamp tubes.

Give me a couple days to clean 10 plus years of crud off and I'll post some pic's.. Gonna order a tube set for it. The cab has the factory rockets in it. the cab doesn't sound all that bad at a reasonable volume, but throw some ass behind it and drop tune throws the cab into low end convulsions. LOL

The cab huh throw gas on it and light it on fire as far as I'm concerned. Now the search for a nice 4x12 or a 4x12 sounding 2x12. Post more in a couple days.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went and checked out the 2009 JCM2000 DSL 100 that's was for sale near me. Head is aggressive as hell, and has a real brilliant clean I've never heard from a Marshall, real Fender type stuff. Its got a sticker on the rear from Wickum Audio. With just a few minutes of playing through the amp, I was getting tones from all different genre with just a twist of the guitar volume knob. I had to have it. So I walked away with the head, the MC412 cab, and a new looking in the box Digitech Jamman Stereo for $750.00. I don't think I did too bad. The guy I bought it from has hardly used the amp, he bought it in 2011 from the original owner and put it in a closet for a day that never came. He's never done a thing to the amp, not even tubes, it has TUGSOL EL34's, not sure about the preamp tubes. Give me a couple days to clean 10 plus years of crud off and I'll post some pic's.. Gonna order a tube set for it. The cab has the factory rockets in it. the cab doesn't sound all that bad at a reasonable volume, but throw some ass behind it and drop tune throws the cab into low end convulsions. LOL The cab huh throw gas on it and light it on fire as far as I'm concerned. Now the search for a nice 4x12 or a 4x12 sounding 2x12. Post more in a couple days.

Sounds like you found your amp.:eddie:

Highroller54

Reaction score
Yeah but it's not like a normal JCM, someone has done some tweaks to it, or Marshall made this one a little different, it has ton's more gain than any JCM I've ever played, and the cleans sparkle. With it wide open everything on 10, gain maxed out it close to dead silent until you crack the guitar volume. Almost no hiss at all.

Highroller54

Reaction score
The circuit boards look to be virgin. Can't see any work that's been done. It is a revision 20 main board, so we will see! After the thorough cleaning, I checked the bias. Its set hot at 100.1 and 100.2 and stable as a rock, after an hour of putting through it paces. When my new tubes show up and set the bias as per the plate voltage.

The preamp tubes are either stock Marshall labeled replacements or original. For some reason I though the power tubes where Tugsol, they are Savlana's. For now I'm happy, I'll hang on to the cab until I find what I want then I'll either sell it off or Sacrifice it to the guitar gods. I'll try and post some photo's. Have a nice day!

Latest posts