Need help with amp decision!

• Thread starter Highroller54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Try a Friedman runt 20 , must be within budget in US. It will give you everything you need and some .

Highroller54

Reaction score
IMG_20210408_131535000.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_131542504.jpg
    IMG_20210408_131542504.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210408_131546988.jpg
    IMG_20210408_131546988.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210408_131552376.jpg
    IMG_20210408_131552376.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210408_131556559.jpg
    IMG_20210408_131556559.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210408_131601276.jpg
    IMG_20210408_131601276.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 9

JonSick

Reaction score
You have had a lot of good amplifier recommendations here. I'll throw my oar in to suggest the TSL100 instead of the DSL100. It's a 3 channel as opposed to 2 channel, quite versatile and can easily do the Metallica thing.

But this is one of the few times I would recommend you have a look at modelling. While I don't gig with it or put it on recordings, I do like my Line 6 Helix. Lots of tones, can pretty much make any sound you want it to, lots of built in effects and the Line 6 Edit software is easy to use. I really don't like menu diving and irking out loads of parameters anymore, but the Helix is very easy and has everything you want at any volume you want.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
It's great you found your amp that you like. I used to have a DSL100, they have great potential and will shake the foundation. That is strange that the guy you got it from bought it new but it had the Wickman audio sticker on it....makes you wonder what they did, or if it was modded?

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Here is an interesting video. Every time this guy switches to the JCM 800, it sounds better to me. The DSL just sounds...lesser. Sort of like a 'cheaper' amp. The 2203 sounds like the real deal.

This is my own opinion, not trying to step on anyone here, but I would not pay for a JCM 2000 of any kind. Been there, done that, it went down the road.

All that said, I would agree with @marshallmellowed, the SC20 (or as some others would say, the SV20) would be what I would look at, if I was looking for a lower wattage, killer sounding rock amp. And heck yeah, either can drive a 4x12 like they stole it! (Honorable mention, if you could find a good deal on a Vintage Modern, you could likely have what you wanted and then some.) :2c:

DSLs have a thin sound in comparison with any other Marshall

TheCount0212

Reaction score
He's got them sounding pretty close in this video, very close. I think the Dsl is a bit fizzy tho, and doesn't quite have the "balls" that the 800 has.
Part of that might be the KT77s, which are known to be more of a hifi tube and less gainy. But yeah, in that comparison? The 800 dominated.

jazzdj

Reaction score
I am always blown away when someone, especially an adult who should know better by that age, has to ask complete strangers what they should buy, sell, spend money on?

What other things in your life do not make your own decisions on? What to eat, when to breathe, should I jump off that bridge?

Highroller54

Reaction score
I have owned many amps over the years, mostly Marshalls! In my gigging days at one time I had 8 heads, 14 cabs and one of the first Voodoo Labs V-Rock amps. I've been out of the guitar seen for over twenty years and felt, I would get some people advice on what was the hot ticket now days, being I've been out of the loop, for so long. I've owned 2 JCM2000 DSL 100. I purchase two brand new ORANGE CRUNCH half stacks when they first hit the streets, I think that was in the late 90's, so I know what they are, and how they sound! This head, cab and looper was way under my budget, so I'm happy.

Now JAZZDJ, please revert back to your moms basement with your DIPSHIT COMMENTS, THEY ARE NOT WELCOME!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish to thank everyone but JAZZDJ, for the help with my quest! It does not go un-noticed! Thank You!

PS Now if I could just learn to play again, I'll be in the groove! LOL

Sounds like someone repeating a parent. Hopefully the cycle gets broken.

Ask what ever question you want. Let no one dictate otherwise. The point of exchanging ideas and experience is what the forum is about. Feel free to exchange without prejudice.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am always blown away when someone, especially an adult who should know better by that age, has to ask complete strangers what they should buy, sell, spend money on?

What other things in your life do not make your own decisions on? What to eat, when to breathe, should I jump off that bridge?

I don't know man. Nothing wrong with gathering information.

Leads to independence. Different than, "I need no one to tell me anything. Cause i decide everything". Which is ludicrous. "As a person I needed no guidance...eva. No human input. I knew enough. Always".

I'm not cool though. Beyond my sandbox...:lol:

Last edited:

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score

Yep the less informed about purchasing decisions the better.
I even go grocery shopping with a blind-fold on because I don't need no stranger's labels to tell me what product I'm buying.
One time I had to live off mostly cat milk and onions for a week, but at least I can say I'm a functional ADULT.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score

Strange comment bro , we’re all on this forum to share info and experiences. You can only learn so much on your own , there’s not enough time or money and way too much gear to experience everything first hand .

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

:shock:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish to thank everyone but JAZZDJ, for the help with my quest! It does not go un-noticed! Thank You!

PS Now if I could just learn to play again, I'll be in the groove! LOL
Congrats on the new amp, looks great.

Enjoy in good health! :cheers:

Max Gahne

Reaction score
It's too bad the trolls decided on this thread. The OP topic elicited some interesting perspectives. And some trolls.

Latest posts