Need Suggestion For A New Amp!

• Thread starter PA1990
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which chiliphil, I'm really surprised that some of the builders here on the MF haven't reverse engineered some of Marshall's newer more popular amp designs ONLY building them better than Marshall does. If this were to happen, you could be assured that Marshall would take note and very likely start offering custom hardwiring services for their various amp models.
impossible, santiago said quite some years ago, that the JVM can only excist due to the way it is build... while it is true that the 2203 was the baseline amp and used to sort out the design of each channel,
the prototype JVM was pretty much built the same way as the production models

the vintage modern prototype was done in a more classic way, but that's a totally different circuit:

Prototype1.jpg

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Speaking of which chiliphil, I'm really surprised that some of the builders here on the MF haven't reverse engineered some of Marshall's newer more popular amp designs ONLY building them better than Marshall does. If this were to happen, you could be assured that Marshall would take note and very likely start offering custom hardwiring services for their various amp models. I myself would like to own a Studio 15 or Model 4001 that's been hardwired with a turret board and new old stock parts. Killer little amps they are.

Yeah, that'd be cool. Though I'm sure anything that Marshall would custom handwire would be far too much for any of us to own.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Chiliphil, I'm just saying that you can be assured that Marshall would jump on that band wagon so as not to miss out on what musicians would be catering to.

jack daniels

Reaction score
impossible, santiago said quite some years ago, that the JVM can only excist due to the way it is build... while it is true that the 2203 was the baseline amp and used to sort out the design of each channel,
the prototype JVM was pretty much built the same way as the production models

the vintage modern prototype was done in a more classic way, but that's a totally different circuit:

Prototype1.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, I could care less if someone ever built a JVM better with vintage components since I'm your basic non-master Marshall lover. BUT, for those guys that would be interested if someone were to improve upon a JVM and doing it cost effectively comparative to the mass manufactured Marshall JVM price, I'm sure that many would jump at that opportunity.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Chiliphil, I'm just saying that you can be assured that Marshall would jump on that band wagon so as not to miss out on what musicians would be catering to.

Oh, definately. You're 100% right. Marshall has always been great about this, even though sometimes they are a little late in the game. Each generation of Marshall was pretty much in response to what people were doing to the older amps. Marshall does pay attention and that's a great thing. I really can't wait to see what they come up with to replace the JVM, that was a huge leap forward and the bar is now very high.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I would say keep the EVH and get the Marshall also. I have gone through lots of equipment, and am finally learning to keep what I have and wait for new. I got rid of my DSL40C to get my EVH 5150III 50 watt. I am very happy with the EVH, but wish I had waited and could have both. Now I am considering the JVM also, but I wont off my EVH to get there. Now, if I do get the JVM, and it has the sounds I love in the other amp, maybe I would consider getting rid of it, but I would be more likely to keep as a backup.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
I may be going out on a limb, but my vote goes to the Silver Jubilee + pedals.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
BUT, for those guys that would be interested if someone were to improve upon a JVM and doing it cost effectively comparative to the mass manufactured Marshall JVM price, I'm sure that many would jump at that opportunity.

i doubt that it would be possible... there have been people swapping transformers for instance, only to find out it wasn't worth it...
forget about making a handwired version of it... it would be cheaper to get 4 different amplifiers and use something like a tonebone and a midiswitcher

Boink!

Reaction score
Maybe just a used 800, hot rod it a bit to get it to sing enough for leads (without the need to push it with pedals). And that's it. Perhaps add pedal or two just to get a diff. flavor/colour to the sound that's already there. It's simple set and forget setup the OP can control with a volume pot basically.

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
20151207_182857.jpg JVM 205 is a good place to start if you want to mod amp. Just get a used one and go nuts. Also if you mess up you have not killed a hard to find JCM800 2203. I had lots of fun and the sound for me is very good. Yes the switches don't line up, but its my amp. I have now put all mods inside all my Marshalls no more holes.

SLA

Reaction score
You only need an ol 2203, JMP or JCM and some pedals ;)
For different flavors and boost, an mxr compressor (for the cleaner ac/dc stuff and still remaining the sustain) somekind of tubescreamerish pedal like Maxon 808, ts9, mxr GT-OD, Boss SD-1, and something more aggressiv like OCD, Boss bluesdriver, maybe an good boostpedal..

dial in an good crunshtone and back of the guitarvolume for cleaner stuff and stepp on some box for more gain..easy and simple.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
You only need an ol 2203, JMP or JCM and some pedals ;)
For different flavors and boost, an mxr compressor (for the cleaner ac/dc stuff and still remaining the sustain) somekind of tubescreamerish pedal like Maxon 808, ts9, mxr GT-OD, Boss SD-1, and something more aggressiv like OCD, Boss bluesdriver, maybe an good boostpedal..

dial in an good crunshtone and back of the guitarvolume for cleaner stuff and stepp on some box for more gain..easy and simple.

As the owner of a 2203 I would say it depends on how the amp is going to be used. While yes, the 2203 or 1959 will do anything and everything you need it does require pedals and adjusting your volume. In a live setting this can be done but all the tap dancing on the pedals, trying to get the volume in the right spot quickly, it's just easier to click a single button and be able to achieve all those sounds while plugged straight into the front, that's why the jvm is awesome. Sure, you'll loose a little of the big smack that the 2203 amps have but the jvm gets very close and has so many more options, like pedals built in (sort of)