Need this style transformer bracket for '70 Superlead.

• Thread starter Matthews Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
There are at least two types of transformer mounting/reinforcement brackets used on the older JMPs. I'm looking for the wider type that clamps across the base of the transformer and has a wider footprint than the transformer.

It looks like this when installed:

DSC_7418_sm.jpg

I've placed the bracket style sold by Mojotone/Classictone on the knobs in front to show the difference. I definitely can not use THAT style, I need the style that's on the transformer.

Anybody got a pair or know where I can get them?

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
There are at least two types of transformer mounting/reinforcement brackets used on the older JMPs. I'm looking for the wider type that clamps across the base of the transformer and has a wider footprint than the transformer.

It looks like this when installed:

View attachment 74223

I've placed the bracket style sold by Mojotone/Classictone on the knobs in front to show the difference. I definitely can not use THAT style, I need the style that's on the transformer.

Anybody got a pair or know where I can get them?

800-877-6863

+44 (0)117 230 2 240.
http://www.dagnall.co.uk/transformers/chassis.html

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have emailed Drake, (Powerstax), Dagnall, and Mercury Magnetics to see if any of them might have what I need.

I'm also going to need a set of end bells that don't have legs on them. 3.75 by 4.5 inches, galvanized, clear chromated, two wire holes per on the bottom surface
when mounted stand-up.

I have a Drake DET-4145H transformer with the exact end bells and brackets I need. That's going into this 1970 Super Lead restoration, but I need those parts for the output transformer as well. Same dimensions other than a difference in lamination stack thickness.

neikeel

Reaction score
Valvestorm sell both sizes

Make sure you stipulate which length you want. The long through bolts also.

BTW the only end bells without feet on are laydowns, the ones even with brackets always had feet.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Metro Plexi spec 100W laydown power transformer that I would like to convert to stand up. I also would then need an extremely deep end bell set for it. I did not find anything when I was searching awhile back. Figured I cold make my own brackets that would get me by but still would need the end bells.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
You're right about that. I had to check carefully and, yes, the end bells do have tabs on them but I thought they didn't. I have seen a transformer on an amp, somewhere, and recently, that actually didn't, but it wasn't one of my own amps.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I just checked the metro/valvestorm brackets and neither type is the type pictured. Look at my picture and look at theirs. Totally not the same thing in a side by side comparison. Note how the one that I pictured has the two clamping bolts located much wider than the chassis mounting screws.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Update: I kept looking and yes, Valvestorm has the right ones. I got them some time ago and they fit up perfectly.

Now....does anyone have the proper wiring diagram for this type transformer? I'm ready to wire it into the '69 Superlead chassis I'm rebuilding.

neikeel

Reaction score
Try this for starters gor the OT:
DC1998.jpg

This for the PT:
DT2562.jpg

neikeel

Reaction score
I also suggest you leave the OT primary wires longer than normal. That way if you have them reversed and you have to swap them over if you get ‘that howl’ on first start up;)

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have experienced the feedback that occurs when the primary OT wires are reversed. I know that sound.

The OT is a DET 4145H (Dagnall, right?) and it is in good shape but it's used. It checks out. I don't THINK I'll have to extend any wires, but they're definitely cut to the length required for the last amp it was in.

Dean Deese

Reaction score
I need a pair like Matthews G needed. 100w for new build and 50w for my ‘88 JCM 2204. Valvestorm is sold out and I’ve looked on line for hours and the only ones I can find are like the ones like he placed on the control knobs of his amp in the photo near the top of the page - thanks everyone
This is gonna be my first build

Dblgun

Reaction score
I've used these a few times over the last couple of years. The brackets worked out well but I did use different hardware than was supplied.