Need Your Expertise - Is A Used JCM 800 Model 2204 Worth Double The Price Of A JCM 900 2100 MKIII or SL-x?

• Thread starter Slapshot1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Bottom line, and I've said this before. All Marshall tube amps of similar class sound very similar. You don't have spend ridicules money on a vintage amp to get that sound. There are plenty of far less expensive options to get pretty close, and with more options! My experience has shown me this. *Collecting* is something different...posterity is expensive...and if that's your thing, cool. But for a player/gigging dude...just wanting that sound to play out, totally superfluous....The audience will not notice a 5-10% disparity tone wise from a vintage amp.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
True, the 800 can do the 900DR with pedals.

But my 900 SL-X sounds an awful lot like my 800's.

Let's be honest,
The slx is a beast compared to the 900dr.

Whether it's the 5881 or el34 version,either one is still voiced differently than the DR. I totally agree, the el34's definitely gets you closer.
I really wish that I scooped up the slx,over the 4100.

>When you're a monster player, you can get what you need out of any gear,even junk.

If you're a mediocre player such as myself, I actually need the "magical gear" for a leg up.😊

p90strat

Reaction score
Worth twice as much, from a player's perspective? No. I've owned them all..and while the 800s are in a way a bench mark for Marshall...sonically, the 900s and even later DSL scan sound nearly identical, but not without a mod/tweek or two. But even with the few mods, your still half of what the 800 market demands. Plus, the newer amps offer more flexibility...and are not as old. I had 2204s, 03s, ...but always gigged with my DSLs... Btw...one thing I've learned over a great period of time. All of the *Marshalls* I've owned had one thing in common. They all sound like *Marshalls*
Ditto - Adrian R.

I’ve owned everything from 60’s 4 input 1959’ plexis’s , later 70’s 2204, 2203, 2210, 2206, 80’ss as 900 (MKIII was the best 900) but I loved the SLX’s . Going to buy a couple when I find them .

But understand that old stuff (“collectors items”) means more expensive. Point to point reissues - best of old/new.

Old 800’s WorthThree times the price of 900’s?

(if it’s old - well yeah - museum pieces are expensive) is it better? Depends if are you collecting or Playing?

If playing -

First question: what your price ceiling ? Start there.

What’s your sound? Read reviews to zero in on possible best amp choices for the music you’re playing or want to play. Go play them at mom&pops, Sam ash or guitar center. That requires some leg work, but it’s THE way to get your answer.

I’ve changed guitars, amps and pedals the way most people go through cases of beer. It gave me first hand experience in what worked and what didn’t. All very expensive but It showed me what was actually able to give me the sounds in my head. As a result of that- years of it - I have a formula now that works well for - “me” - and that’s the operative word here - (“you”).

Kudos to the OP: Your best first step was posting the question here. The cumulative wisdom that resides here with the members is truly remarkable and exists no place else.

Best of luck, revel in the hunt brother!

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
And I believe any of the 100w versions would require me to buy an attenuator to use at home, adding an additional $700-800 to the cost.
Same applies to most 50 watt Marshalls, especially the 800s. They are loud when they give up the goods!

If you want an 800 circuit but don't want to deal with attenuators and extra costs in your situation then the SC20 is the best solution.

Regarding the MKIII and the SL-X, if you can find one in good shape for 1/2 the price of an used 2204-well, yes!

67mike

Reaction score
My 2204 is probably my favourite amp of all time. I won’t sell that one. I paid a pretty penny for the amp when I bought it. Money well spent.

I can play at reasonable volumes and sounds good….run a sd1 into it for better low volume sounds.

If you can afford one: by all means try it and buy it if it is healthy.

Slapshot1

Reaction score
Some additional thoughts:

I search CL, Reverb and Ebay for gear all the time. Reverb is way out line on prices on their ASKING prices and they are driving everyone's asking prices really high. IMHO you can get a 2204 for a lot less if you are patient and you look. Check the Reverb Price guide for actual SOLD prices and be forewarned, Reverb is sometimes inaccurate about sold prices as well.*

FWIW: I bought my '90 2204 for $1100 earlier this year.

IMHO The later model 2204's get a bad rap.....I think a lot of these shipped with EL34's

The SL-X/MKIII EFX loop is big selling point for me. That plus the 2nd MV adds a lot of versatility, but it's still a single channel amp. And I use a distortion pedal in front of everything, so with that in mind, IMHO the SL-X is far better bang for your buck than a 2204/3 for me. YMMV.

*I've gotten substantial partial refunds that were not noted in the sold price. I've also bought gear where I made an offer that was accepted that was far less than the asking price, but Reverb lists the asking price as the sold price.
Really appreciate all of your valuable information and perspective. A couple questions if you would be kind enough to offer an answer.

I was not aware of the fact that there was a Reverb Price Guide. However, I tried it and looked for a Marshall JCM 800 204 and came up with nothing. Is there a trick to finding actual sales prices for a specific item.

Also, would value your thoughts on a couple scenarios. Lets say, in a perfect scenario, I did find a nice (80's) 204, it's almost certain that I would have to have it recapped and retubed due to age. So that adds say, $700.00. Throw in a solid attenuator, of which the cheapest quality version I know is the Fryette Powerstation for $800.00. Now you are over $2500.00 for the amp solution. Now, understand, I don't absolutely require an 80's classic. But I believe I would be paying that same amount of $2500.00 or more for a much newer one?

Lastly, this amp will only be played at home in my large music room. I don't need 100w, I really don't even need 50 watts, which some here say would also require an attenuator. Not to mention that for whatever reason (possibly because less were sold?) the 50w versions seem to run even higher than 100w amps for sale. If the Studio JCM 800 SC-20H is going to give me, for all intents and purposes, the same sound as one of the big classic 204's, we are done here, and I will just buy one of those?

Slapshot1

Reaction score
Happened across some mentions and listings of the Marshall SV-20H Studio Vintage 20w 1959SLP Plexi Guitar Amp Head. How does this model compare to the SC-20H? JUst want to make sure my understanding is complete on these.

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
Really appreciate all of your valuable information and perspective. A couple questions if you would be kind enough to offer an answer.

I was not aware of the fact that there was a Reverb Price Guide. However, I tried it and looked for a Marshall JCM 800 204 and came up with nothing. Is there a trick to finding actual sales prices for a specific item.
1693597730030.png
1693597775367.png

Deftone

Reaction score
Also, would value your thoughts on a couple scenarios. Lets say, in a perfect scenario, I did find a nice (80's) 204, it's almost certain that I would have to have it recapped and retubed due to age. So that adds say, $700.00. Throw in a solid attenuator, of which the cheapest quality version I know is the Fryette Powerstation for $800.00. Now you are over $2500.00 for the amp solution. Now, understand, I don't absolutely require an 80's classic. But I believe I would be paying that same amount of $2500.00 or more for a much newer one?

Lastly, this amp will only be played at home in my large music room. I don't need 100w, I really don't even need 50 watts, which some here say would also require an attenuator. Not to mention that for whatever reason (possibly because less were sold?) the 50w versions seem to run even higher than 100w amps for sale. If the Studio JCM 800 SC-20H is going to give me, for all intents and purposes, the same sound as one of the big classic 204's, we are done here, and I will just buy one of those?
I had my '85 2204 Re capped and re tubed with JJ's (all of them) by a local tech for around $200, IIRC. It was no where near $700. I can dig through texts and find the exact price. I consider that stuff routine maintenance cost. Of the 6 or 7 Marshall heads I have bought, I'd say 75% of them needed service. But my tech likes to replace all the tubes...that's not always needed.

I don't use an attenuator and I play sane volumes in my Master bedroom exclusively. In fact, I usually play two 50w heads (sometimes a 50w and a 100w) through two 4x12's in stereo. I use a Distortion pedal with the pedal volume at around 9 o'clock (25-30%) Volume is usually around 6 and the MV is around 2. I could not ask for better tone. I know some people use OD's, I assume you do can the same with one of those or any input pedal with a volume. If you have a loop you can use a volume box.

I also have lower wattage amps...35w, 20w, 10w, 8w, 5w. I like the 50w & 100w best for the low end. YMMV

FWIW: I don't disagree with anyone's opinion in this thread, all great answers. But the bottom line is your personal preference.

Slapshot1

Reaction score
I had my '85 2204 Re capped and re tubed with JJ's (all of them) by a local tech for around $200, IIRC. It was no where near $700. I can dig through texts and find the exact price. I consider that stuff routine maintenance cost. Of the 6 or 7 Marshall heads I have bought, I'd say 75% of them needed service. But my tech likes to replace all the tubes...that's not always needed.

I don't use an attenuator and I play sane volumes in my Master bedroom exclusively. In fact, I usually play two 50w heads (sometimes a 50w and a 100w) through two 4x12's in stereo. I use a Distortion pedal with the pedal volume at around 9 o'clock (25-30%) Volume is usually around 6 and the MV is around 2. I could not ask for better tone. I know some people use OD's, I assume you do can the same with one of those or any input pedal with a volume. If you have a loop you can use a volume box.

I also have lower wattage amps...35w, 20w, 10w, 8w, 5w. I like the 50w & 100w best for the low end. YMMV

FWIW: I don't disagree with anyone's opinion in this thread, all great answers. But the bottom line is your personal preference.
Got it, and thank you for clarifying. Any knowledge of the Marshall SV-20H Studio Vintage 20w 1959SLP Plexi vs the SC-20H?

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Happened across some mentions and listings of the Marshall SV20H Studio Vintage 20w 1959SLP Plexi Guitar Amp Head. How does this model compare to the SC-20H? JUst want to make sure my understanding is complete on these.
The SV is a non master volume amp. Since it doesn't have a master volume and it gets most of it's distortion from the power amp, it is a very loud amp in practice.

For home playing, the SC with a master volume and more preamp gain and distortion is more practical.

Deftone

Reaction score
Got it, and thank you for clarifying. Any knowledge of the Marshall SV-20H Studio Vintage 20w 1959SLP Plexi vs the SC-20H?
$262.10 was the total on the '85 2204. All new tubes and caps including labor. That was in 2021.

Slapshot1

Reaction score
$262.10 was the total on the '85 2204. All new tubes and caps including labor. That was in 2021.
Wow, I recently got a quote of over $300.00 for just the complete replacement tube set, and biasing, and $300-400 for cap replacement . Maybe I need to look further for someone to do the work. At your prices, I wouldn't have even given it a thought.

Slapshot1

Reaction score
The SV is a non master volume amp. Since it doesn't have a master volume and it gets most of it's distortion from the power amp, it is a very loud amp in practice.

For home playing, the SC with a master volume and more preamp gain and distortion is more practical.
If I understand that correctly, the SV requires an additional power amp or preamp???

Deftone

Reaction score

Deftone

Reaction score
I have a couple of 1966 2x12 cabs in my 11x10 "home office" I run a 6505MH and a 10w Jubilee clone in stereo sounds killer.

Capture.JPG

You could do this with a 20w Marshall head.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Send the man your amp with a card and flowers. Beg. Plead.

He might force your hand to buy the knowledge he has gained with his own design.. another nice video here:

Latest posts