New "2024 Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul"

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like to support or promote Tr0gly, ever, but he's got the skinny on a new "2024 Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul" for $1,300? IDK, I don't see them on Weetswater Watsweeter Swatweeter sorry, Sweetwater, yet.

I'm not sure what to think: is it a smokin' deal, or a polished turd?

RLW59

Reaction score
I've always preferred Fender's approach of using their normal headstocks on their import budget models. It hasn't seemed to hurt the value/image/prestige of the US models at all.

Epi's weird headstocks always gave me the feeling that Gibson was afraid they couldn't compete with them unless they handicapped the Epi's.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
I have the last model 59 Epi LP with the smaller Epi headstock. It came with upgraded electronics and Gibson Burstbuckers and really plays nice.

When I bought mine they were on sale for $599. I have owned 5 over the years and this is the first Epi that I did not have to do any fret work on it other than just a polish and setup but the frets were all level. IMO, hell of a guitar for $599, great guitar for under $1000, I probably would not spend $1299 just for the Gibson headstock. I would look for a cheaper last year's one or used. For $1299, you are really getting $500 close to a low end Gibson.

LP 1.jpg

LP 2.jpg

RLW59

Reaction score
The headstock change is likely an indication that Gibson won't be making lower priced Gibsons much longer. They've already dropped the $1,700 Studio (the $2,000 Modern Studio is still available).

For a while, used Gibsons will still compete with the new higher priced Epi's. But the cheapest used LP STD '50s on Reverb are $2,000 and most are hundreds more. And the not-so-long ago $600 brand new Gibsons are selling used for $1000 nowadays. And those were no-bling models -- no binding, plain tops, satin or unfilled finishes, silkscreen logos, usually dot inlays..

It won't be long before people who want a shiny new Les Paul will be looking at the Epi's as great bargains.

Things get more expensive. Life sucks.

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
It's probably a good playing guitar. But I'd never buy a guitar made in communist China, let alone a $1,000+ guitar made in communist China.

*Quick.... someone tell me how my iPhone and microwave are made in China. It'll really change my mind.

Yeah, I kind of like the looks of these but made in China guitars are not my cup of tea either.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Plenty of good LP style guitars at less than £800.
Whats so special about 1959 guitars ? Surely someone has had some good ideas since then.
The neck profile for my hands is perfect, not too chunky and not too thin and it was the first LP with Gibson pickups and better wiring. Those pickups alone cost $300.

El Gringo

Reaction score
It's probably a good playing guitar. But I'd never buy a guitar made in communist China, let alone a $1,000+ guitar made in communist China.

*Quick.... someone tell me how my iPhone and microwave are made in China. It'll really change my mind.
For sure

RLW59

Reaction score
Yeah I try to avoid guitars made in China too. Don't like the idea of supporting that country.

And yes I know my phone is Chinese, but I need a phone and there isn't one that's is not Chinese. With guitars, I have the option of choosing so I exercise that option.

Google says:

"There are several OEMs that don't produce their phones in China. A good brand to start looking at would be HTC because their phones are made in Taiwan. Since the Google Pixel is manufactured by HTC, it is also made in Taiwan. Often times, Samsung and LG flagship devices may be made in Vietnam or South Korea."

Further reading says Samsung pulled out of mainland China entirely back in 2019.

Purism offers the Liberty and Librem 5, both claiming to use no Chinese parts and assembled in the US. Both are $2,000.
-----------------------
While mainland China claims Taiwan is part of China, the Taiwanese strongly disagree.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks (read headstock) has always turned me off on Epis, but I think they look good now with the new headstock. I'd still rather buy a Tribute, Melody Maker or Studio over and Epi because of the whole Chinese thing.

anitoli

Reaction score
Google says:

"There are several OEMs that don't produce their phones in China. A good brand to start looking at would be HTC because their phones are made in Taiwan. Since the Google Pixel is manufactured by HTC, it is also made in Taiwan. Often times, Samsung and LG flagship devices may be made in Vietnam or South Korea."

Further reading says Samsung pulled out of mainland China entirely back in 2019.

Purism offers the Liberty and Librem 5, both claiming to use no Chinese parts and assembled in the US. Both are $2,000.
-----------------------
While mainland China claims Taiwan is part of China, the Taiwanese strongly disagree.
Taiwan is a good place to buy from. Nice country.

yladrd61

Reaction score
I have several late model Epiphones, only issues I have had are sharp fret ends, and the I can't get along with the plastic they use for the nut. I have the fret ends cleaned up and a bone nut installed, and they feel and play as good or better than many of my Gibsons.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
Google says:

-----------------------
Yep you're right. I actually opened up my Samsung phone this morning and it's made in Vietnam. I didn't know that. Good.

Regardless the point remains that I only buy Chinese if there is no other option.

If I have an option to bypass China, I will exercise it every time.

I have absolutely nothing against Asian products or foreign products in general but China and Russia are special cases and I'll buy away from them any chance I get.

PelliX

Reaction score
And yes I know my phone is Chinese, but I need a phone and there isn't one that's is not Chinese. With guitars, I have the option of choosing so I exercise that option.

Samsung. South Korea in that case. Decent phones and a fair deal more... I'd steer clear of their fridges and whitegoods in general though. Been lucky myself, but seen a lot of disasters first hand with fridges and stuff.

I have absolutely nothing against Asian products or foreign products in general but China and Russia are special cases and I'll buy away from them any chance I get.

The only export products of Russia that are of any interest to me (apart from gas, but that's another story) are vodka and valves from the New Sensor plant. I have no beef with supporting Russian products if they're good. Lots of good vodkas out there, less valves, unfortunately.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
Samsung. South Korea in that case. Decent phones and a fair deal more... I'd steer clear of their fridges and whitegoods in general though. Been lucky myself, but seen a lot of disasters first hand with fridges and stuff.

The only export products of Russia that are of any interest to me (apart from gas, but that's another story) are vodka and valves from the New Sensor plant. I have no beef with supporting Russian products if they're good. Lots of good vodkas out there, less valves, unfortunately.
Tubes kind of fall into the no option category, although I like and use JJs on most cases. But they don't sound good for all of my amps, so I begrudgingly buy Russian tubes here and there.