new 5w AFD combo at NAMM

• Thread starter nauc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LivingTheDream

Reaction score
As an owner of an AFD100, I like the idea of a 5W combo. Gives more people the opportunity to gain access to what should be a kick ass rock amp. Especially if its anything like its daddy.

I've heard some talk about a YJM 5W combo as well. I will probably pick one of these up when it is released. I love the fact that Marshall (and other manufacturers) are embracing a built in attenuation functionality, as well as low watt bedroom type amps.

santiall

Reaction score
made in US OR vietnam?

not to disappoint you but Marshall amplifiers were never made in the USA

On the tube questions, yes, it is an EL34. There is no problem whatsoever designing with a single EL34 for 1W, 5W, 0.01W... the problem would be getting 50W.

Marival

Reaction score

On the tube questions, yes, it is an EL34. There is no problem whatsoever designing with a single EL34 for 1W, 5W, 0.01W... the problem would be getting 50W.

It's the first low wattage amp I've heard of that uses an EL34. I'm very curious about what it feels like.

whatknot

Reaction score

I think I will be happy with what has been leaked so far, but, still hoping for an amp with 2 EL34's.......(smile). Thanks for all your hard work with marshall!

Badmonkey

Reaction score

i mean made in UK or vietnam?

Snakeface

Reaction score
you guys see only the name or the signature associated with the amp....look beyond....I see a hot rodded plexi of 5W with 2 channels and a Vintage 30.....fkn sweeeeet !!!

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Untitled.jpg

treetrunk

Reaction score
I look at the lack of Fx loop from the bright side ;) It helped me save some money being put on the JCM1!

hbach

Reaction score
it is an EL34. There is no problem whatsoever designing with a single EL34 for 1W, 5W, 0.01W... the problem would be getting 50W.

:thumb::thumb:

Easiest way: just turn down the Master Volume :naughty:

Looking forward to checking this amp out. If the leaked price point is true it would be quite interesting.

Roadburn

Reaction score
Wrong, there will be no head. Please don't assume you know what marketing is doing.

Are you in the loop?

Anyway, Marshall said the exact same thing when they released the C5, no head planned (mind you, they didn't say there would be none, just not planned (which boils down to my statement being correct)).

lowinput

Reaction score
Dame, I'm going to go to see these marshall amps in germany! I've got a stiff propersition to offer to the marshall lady. lol!

Username2

Reaction score
No head is planned for production, will be just the combo.

To answer some of your questions the amp does not have a loop, Slash did not want one. The price looks to be coming out at $699USD which is a real bargain, of course at that price the amp is being assemble in China with Marshall oversight on quality. The amp will carry the standard Marshall warranty. This may be a issue with some but should not be, remember Marshall sells worldwide and to stay competitive with other amp builders for a 5w combo it makes business sense. $699 to many in this world is a hell of a lot of money, keep that in mind.

Although the internal voltage of the amp is set to still pump out 5w or 1w, it may be perceived louder then the Class 5 to some with the Vintage 30, your mileage may vary.

While the sound of the amp remains very close to the AFD it is actually more versatile then the AFD having a clean channel and built in reverb, thus the name of the SL-5 rather then the AFD-5. This is NOT a limited production amp but rather becomes a new standard low watt amp offering from Marshall.

My opinion on the amp is the clean channel is fantastic, very warm for a small amp. The amp has more then enough gain stock so guys should be very happy and not be needing to put any dirt pedals out in front of this one, plug and play. A very responsive eq and the Vintage 30 speaker really shines on channel two. At 5 watts it should be loud enough for any small venue or band practice, and at 1 watt make it wife and neighbor friendly. Oh, and you get the Slash logo:slash:

I think the amp is a win and fills a nice void left from the discontinued Class 5.

duncan11

Reaction score
As an owner of an AFD100, I like the idea of a 5W combo. Gives more people the opportunity to gain access to what should be a kick ass rock amp. Especially if its anything like its daddy.

I've heard some talk about a YJM 5W combo as well. I will probably pick one of these up when it is released. I love the fact that Marshall (and other manufacturers) are embracing a built in attenuation functionality, as well as low watt bedroom type amps.

Interesting, I never heard any scuttlebutt about a YJM combo. Even though I have 2 AFD's and I can make a 5 watt amp, I'd have to hear the SL-5 before deciding on it. I may trade in the Class 5 to fund it, although I know at best I'd get like 100 bucks for it, unless I sold it outright and then maybe 175.

I still say that I think the AFD100 is a pretty versatile amp, I get a wide array of tones from it. Yeah the YJM does have more options in tone but the AFD is no one trick pony in my book.

No head is planned for production, will be just the combo.

To answer some of your questions the amp does not have a loop, Slash did not want one. The price looks to be coming out at $699USD which is a real bargain, of course at that price the amp is being assemble in China with Marshall oversight on quality. The amp will carry the standard Marshall warranty. This may be a issue with some but should not be, remember Marshall sells worldwide and to stay competitive with other amp builders for a 5w combo it makes business sense. $699 to many in this world is a hell of a lot of money, keep that in mind.

Although the internal voltage of the amp is set to still pump out 5w or 1w, it may be perceived louder then the Class 5 to some with the Vintage 30, your mileage may vary.

While the sound of the amp remains very close to the AFD it is actually more versatile then the AFD having a clean channel and built in reverb, thus the name of the SL-5 rather then the AFD-5. This is NOT a limited production amp but rather becomes a new standard low watt amp offering from Marshall.

My opinion on the amp is the clean channel is fantastic, very warm for a small amp. The amp has more then enough gain stock so guys should be very happy and not be needing to put any dirt pedals out in front of this one, plug and play. A very responsive eq and the Vintage 30 speaker really shines on channel two. At 5 watts it should be loud enough for any small venue or band practice, and at 1 watt make it wife and neighbor friendly. Oh, and you get the Slash logo:slash:

I think the amp is a win and fills a nice void left from the discontinued Class 5.

Interesting, how did you come by this info? If as you say it isn't fully designed off the full on AFD circuit, that is kinda a cool thing imho.

Username2

Reaction score
If as you say it isn't fully designed off the full on AFD circuit, that is kinda a cool thing imho.

I will let those at Marshall speak about their circuit if they wish, all I said is its close. The SL-5 is a two channel amp where the AFD100 is a single channel amp as you know. Slash has been known to use other amps for his cleans, this one can cover both bases.

The amp also maintains two sensitivity input options as found on the AFD100.