new 5w AFD combo at NAMM

• Thread starter nauc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

duncan11

Reaction score
I will let those at Marshall speak about their circuit if they wish, all I said is its close. The SL-5 is a two channel amp where the AFD100 is a single channel amp as you know. Slash has been known to use other amps for his cleans, this one can cover both bases.

The amp also maintains two sensitivity input options as found on the AFD100.

Close is fine, I know they can't just drop in the same circuit from the 100watt head into a small 5 watt combo. They'd have to mimic it somewhat in order to get the tone close. But totally copying it would lessen the versatility of it imho, so this is a good thing.

acidvoodoo

Reaction score
I can't believe they are not making a head version...if they threw this in the class 5 head shell everyone would have gone crazy for it, come on marshall.

hbach

Reaction score
Thanks nuke for the info! Pity Marshall doesn't just put it on their website. Seems like they are developing a thing for stuff "leaking" out instead of announcing it. Maybe it helps their numbers.

Username2

Reaction score
Thanks nuke for the info! Pity Marshall doesn't just put it on their website. Seems like they are developing a thing for stuff "leaking" out instead of announcing it. Maybe it helps their numbers.

NAMM starts today and the amp is there, that's all. Fact I am flying down there in a couple hours myself. Warm weather man!!

Actually Marshall did a good job keeping the amp quite for as long as they did.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
NAMM starts today and the amp is there, that's all. Fact I am flying down there in a couple hours myself. Warm weather man!!

Please nuke let us know if you find out anything about a possible JMD2... :naughty:

:cheers:

Username2

Reaction score
Please nuke let us know if you find out anything about a possible JMD2... :naughty:

:cheers:
I know a lot of guys would like to see that. Nobody there will be talking about future projects even if they know about them. They just cannot do it.

Username2

Reaction score

The official launch is February 15th, look for it then.

Username2

Reaction score
Anyone know when demos or clips of any kind will come up?

While NAMM offically starts today the doors do not open to the none vendors until 9am tomorrow. I suppose guys from Guitar World, Premier Guitar, and other music publications will start making their rounds. Earliest you might see one would be Thursday night. I will shoot one myself but won't get it uploaded probably until Sunday night. To many live performances and beer to be drank after the show. :naughty:

Here is just one of the performances you can watch live via the internet.

[FONT=&quot]BOSS Loop Station World Championship 3 International Finals. Special appearances by John 5, Herman Li, Steve Stevens, Billy Duffy, Daryl Jones, and Jude Gold. Doors 6p. Streaming live 6:45p PST at www.bossloop.com[/FONT]

thenoodler

Reaction score
The way I see it this is just another offering of the DSL line with a speaker upgrade and Slash's signature on it. I'm perfectly happy with my DSL40 ( more bang for the buck). Nevertheless I can see how it will appeal to some, likely the same people who the DSL appeals to.
I can't wait to see Slash's next tour where he has 100 of these stacked up on stage behind him and an AFD 100 off stage making the real sound.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
The way I see it this is just another offering of the DSL line with a speaker upgrade and Slash's signature on it. I'm perfectly happy with my DSL40 ( more bang for the buck). Nevertheless I can see how it will appeal to some, likely the same people who the DSL appeals to.
I can't wait to see Slash's next tour where he has 100 of these stacked up on stage behind him and an AFD 100 off stage making the real sound.

i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

hbach

Reaction score

Just saying that other companies announce their products to the public on the web. But I guess the buzz helps to get people interested.

Username2

Reaction score

Well we should all wait to hear it before comparing it to a DSL, it is voiced different and the circuit is different. Honestly a high percentage of players today as well as many on this forum do not need a 50 or 100 watt amp for what they do.

Keep in mind that a 50 watt amp is only twice as loud as a 5 watt amp, or roughly a 3dBa difference. Having the 5 watts through a 12 inch speaker should be enough for most players, the 1 watt option just makes it home friendly where most of us play.

Perhaps Santiago may shed some light on the build with Slash later, but Slash knows his Marshall's and knows good tone. He took this amp very serious before he put his name to it, He wanted to come up with the best sounding combo he could. Slash gets it, and I think both him and Santiago have a nice win for everyone here IMO.

thenoodler

Reaction score
I'm just saying it stands to reason that this is more of a practice / studio amp and probably more of a toy for slash to noodle around on. If there is something really magical about it I will stand corrected, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's very similar to the current line of mass production amps Marshall is making.
I'm sure Slash provided input into the amp but probably not to the same extent that he did with the AFD 100. The guy has been constantly recording and touring for the last two years straight so I doubt he's had much time to put into collaboration on this project. It probably more likely that he just gave them rough guidelines, clean channel, classic marshall gain channel with some extra gain, and vintage 30 speaker. How meticulously tuned to the AFD tone does this 5 watt amp need to be?

shooto

Reaction score
BORING...not to dis Slash, he's cool and was very relevant....but is he so much now?

Marshall keeps spinning their wheels

nightrain

Reaction score
Rock music in general isn't so relevant anymore, sad but true. Can't think of many modern guitarists which people are just crazy about anymore.

jwebb1970

Reaction score
It looks to fill the power/price void left by the end of the Class 5 run, but offer features - and a name - the former lacked. Curious to hear one in person.

fast98dodge

Reaction score
I don't know why they don't have the low power mode similar to the Class 5 or the 1 watt anniversary series. 1 watt is way too loud for my apartment and not that much quieter than 5 watts...

I would be tempted if the low power mode was like the previously mentioned units but since it won't be, I'm out... damn...

hbach

Reaction score
I don't know why they don't have the low power mode similar to the Class 5 or the 1 watt anniversary series. 1 watt is way too loud for my apartment and not that much quieter than 5 watts...

I would be tempted if the low power mode was like the previously mentioned units but since it won't be, I'm out... damn...

If the dirt channel has enough gain should work nicely at TV levels at 1W as you don't need to crank it full out. I'm curious to listen to it.