new 5w AFD combo at NAMM

• Thread starter nauc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sollazzon

Reaction score
that's all i've read till now from
Marshall SL-5 Slash Signature Amplifier | Guitar Hangar
Specs
Power:
5 watts or 1 watt
Type:
Combo
Channels:
2 Custom Voiced footswitchable Channels – Clean & Overdrive (footswitch included)
Controls:
Green/Red Channel Status LED’s, Full EQ section, Presence Control, Digital Reverb (footswitchable), High/Low Sensitivity Inputs
Power Tubes:
1 - EL34
Preamp Tubes:
3 - ECC83
Speaker:
Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker
Speaker Output:
Dual Output – 5 watts or 1 watt, 8 & 16 ohm speaker outputs
Bonus:
Front panel includes Slash signature and fonts
Notes:
Expected to ship May 1st

nightrain

Reaction score
so does have output for external cab and is foot switchable, thats great to know. also hate how some amps shair the same volume with clean/overdrive so good to see they are independent

May1st.... so long :*(

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I wish it had a loop, to add delay and other modulation effects. I'd love to get a cheaper version of the 1x12 jubilee combo w/loop that has great tone, and useable channel switching from clean to dirty. It would be a more portable alternative to a big heavy head and cab for jams and such.

While I'm on the subject, are the channels footswitchable? I don't see a jack on the front, and I haven't seen the back panel.

Interesting, because at the end of that video above (2:15), he asks Slash if he wants a loop, and he responds that while he doesn't use one, they might want to add it ... and they agree that it should be included given people keep asking for it. Sounds like it was originally part of the plan, but never came to fruition.

brp

Reaction score
Interesting, because at the end of that video above (2:15), he asks Slash if he wants a loop, and he responds that while he doesn't use one, they might want to add it ... and they agree that it should be included given people keep asking for it. Sounds like it was originally part of the plan, but never came to fruition.

What vid? They're talking about the AFD100 in that vid not the SL-5.
So what they're talking about did come to fruition.

If this had a loop and no speaker I'd probably be all over it.

thenoodler

Reaction score

The video is from the AFD100 Design, and that amp does indeed have a loop which can also double as a 12 dB boost, it's one of the great features of the AFD100.

thenoodler

Reaction score
Everything I've seen so far still suggests to me DSL line with the exception of the speaker and hi/low input sensitivity.

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
Everything I've seen so far still suggests to me DSL line with the exception of the speaker and hi/low input sensitivity.

Yeah I sort of feel the same way. Not that is a dsl clone, just that i was expecting more features i guess. I'm going to Bite the bullet and get a dsl40 soon, but had this on the radar too. I'm not seeing any great features that make it a must have....maybe it'll just do slash tones better than anything else and that'll make it worth having....it'll be a nice collector and conversation piece, but not looking like anything more than that.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
$700 made in china Signature:slash:? I give up Good luck I'll pass :io:

I don't really care if it's MiC or not... but $700 for a mass-produced 5W amp is a bit over my limit.

The new Laney Ironheart rack and mini amp will probably be the same price, will be 10W louder and will have a LOT more features.

And as I said before, Randall is also releasing their mini tube amps, so I'm keeping an eye out there.

Last edited:

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
The amp looks good and I may be interested, but I would be more interested if the amp was made in the UK and had a .1 watt mode like the Class 5 or the JMP-1.

I hope that the cab is made of plywood. A MDF cab would be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

Username2

Reaction score
Got to try it finally this morning. Cleans are thick. There is a nice breakup into crunch as you push the volume. Channel two is a beast, very suprised how good a single EL34 can sound. IMO the amp is not as bright as the AFD with smoother distortion...this is s good thing.

Footswitchable channels an reverb. I have a good video but cant upload until Sunday. I think some others will appear before then. It is not louder then the class 5 and 1 watt still delivers go usable tone at about 89db.

Groovejunkie

Reaction score
Very tempting...the combo, not so much. I'm going to wait for the head and A + B cabs. This is too big a venture.......not to happen...

David Corrales

Reaction score
Because it is a signature combo there will not be a head.

That's too bad... head format is great because it's smaller and would fit nicely with the Class 5 hehe.

Is it loud enough for rehearsals?

BTW, thanks for the info :D

Groovejunkie

Reaction score
With all due respect Nuke, I hope this is not true...and would equate, in my mind, to a huge miss. If they don't go balls deep into this...<shaking head>.....

brp

Reaction score
I see it different. I'd much rather they do a low watt head that is NOT a sig. and I believe they will/are.