new 5w AFD combo at NAMM

• Thread starter nauc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

duncan11

Reaction score
You would think the guy doing the demo would have taken the time to learn nightrain or some other slash licks for the demo. Honestly when he kicked in the drive channel I thought he was demoing a Dokken signature amp. With just the one setting he played I'm not hearing anything spectacular, more of just a standard Marshall tone that you would expect from such an amp. No mention of how it compares with the AFD or 2555.

they're not allowed to play copyrighted material. Look at any vid by Chris George demoing any of the amps. He gets close on a few things but because it's a 'public' performance, it's a no-no. Technically the gin mills we've all played in, if they don't have a music license, if ASCAP shows up and they don't big fine. Never happened but still, it could.

mr.brownstone

Reaction score
Althoug the amp is sounding really good I have to agree with the guys who say this sounds DSL. I don't see too much Slash sound in the amp, I find it a bit more dark and modern. Regarding Slash tone this maybe be like the one he was doing with Velvet Revolver.

Anyway, the amp sound BIG!:slash:

fast98dodge

Reaction score
I am digging the idea of this amp a lot but wish it had no association with Slash so the amp could stand on it's own merit...

I don't need the Slash Scrotum Scrubbers opinion and input...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am digging the idea of this amp a lot but wish it had no association with Slash so the amp could stand on it's own merit...

+1

duncan11

Reaction score

while some may look at my sig line and think that I'm one because I have 2 afd's I can assure you I'm not one of these type. IMHO the AFD and this SL5 are really good sounding amps. I was a Fender player for a long time and a mesa player for over a decade. Up until I got my first AFD, then the YJM, I realized I didn't know shit about 'good' guitar tone and that I've been playing the wrong amp for 'me' for countless ages.

I've played fender twins, marshall 900's/800's, various other fenders, and I never owned a marshall until I got my AFD. If a fender or mesa sounded like either the AFD or YJM I would be playing that. They're just really damn fucking good sounding amps that are perfect for tone chasers. And by that I don't mean people trying to get SCOM tone either. When I listen to recordings of me previously with either fender or mesa amps, my tone was horrid.

The 'name' on the amp isn't important to me, it could be joe blow's signature amp but if it sounds good, I GAF about the signature.

Sournote

Reaction score
At first I was excited about this amp, and won't form a final opinion until I get a chance to hear one, however my opinion is going to be tempered by a comparison of this to something like an HT5 which can be found used for about 1/2 the cost of the SL5.

Like others, I can't help wonder what this amp would cost without the Slash price premium.

Adwex

Reaction score
I'd like to hear a side by side comparison with the 1x12 Jubilee.

If this thing had a loop, I'd very likely get one.

Finnster

Reaction score
I don't see a lot of point in paying a premium for an amp that you need to mod out of the box. If effects loops is necessary, that is.

True.....even my Ht-5 has a loop. Good point.

You mentioned a 1x12 Jubilee...are they reissuing these??..any info on that?

lowinput

Reaction score
this amp and what is said about it doesn't make sense!

"slash want's the amp for quiet playing" - but they put a closed back! (only needed for loud volume playing, feedback and projection. nothing else!)
"slash was going to compromise the tone for a small size amp, so they put a 12' speaker and a close back" - at what volume it this 'great tone' happening?

I have a 12inch speaker combo (marshall) which has a partial back on the cab.
I have another marshall 10inch speaker combo with NO back and this amp has 3 times the bass as the 12 inch combo. work that out!

this slash amp is NOT for slash, he already HAS IT! this amp is being sold to us! and it is marketed at 'todays buyer'. the one that thinks 'closed back' and '12 inch' is tone producing. - but they DON'T make tone!
the smaller cone is tighter and makes more projection but works at a higher mimimum volume.
the closed back at low vol levels can 'over cook' the low frequencies, and make a 'woofy', 'woolly' bottom end.

all they do is play the amp and say "hear the sound! that is 'great tone'". we are not being educated with these demo's.

they stick a few valves in this thing and say "it's got great valve tone, not like the others".
because it's marketed to the 'tube tone cork sniffers' of today! we all know that the transistor amp is the superior amp design, so why do they keep going on about valves. All it has to do is switch 'on and off' in micro nano seconds. we don't need a EL 34 to do that! My amp isn't going to get hit by americas 'sonic BOOM machine' either. (no need to worry about transistors being 'taken out' by the shock wave)

the BIG difference you hear in sound, by comparing different amp models, is from changes in 'POWER'. the only two elements are volts and current.
What type of current is this amp running? - this has a huge influence in sound.

I need to be wined and dined before I get screwed!

Leddyman

Reaction score
How is the tinfoil hat business these days? :rofl:

this amp and what is said about it doesn't make sense!

"slash want's the amp for quiet playing" - but they put a closed back! (only needed for loud volume playing, feedback and projection. nothing else!)
"slash was going to compromise the tone for a small size amp, so they put a 12' speaker and a close back" - at what volume it this 'great tone' happening?

I have a 12inch speaker combo (marshall) which has a partial back on the cab.
I have another marshall 10inch speaker combo with NO back and this amp has 3 times the bass as the 12 inch combo. work that out!

this slash amp is NOT for slash, he already HAS IT! this amp is being sold to us! and it is marketed at 'todays buyer'. the one that thinks 'closed back' and '12 inch' is tone producing. - but they DON'T make tone!
the smaller cone is tighter and makes more projection but works at a higher mimimum volume.
the closed back at low vol levels can 'over cook' the low frequencies, and make a 'woofy', 'woolly' bottom end.

all they do is play the amp and say "hear the sound! that is 'great tone'". we are not being educated with these demo's.

they stick a few valves in this thing and say "it's got great valve tone, not like the others".
because it's marketed to the 'tube tone cork sniffers' of today! we all know that the transistor amp is the superior amp design, so why do they keep going on about valves. All it has to do is switch 'on and off' in micro nano seconds. we don't need a EL 34 to do that! My amp isn't going to get hit by americas 'sonic BOOM machine' either. (no need to worry about transistors being 'taken out' by the shock wave)

the BIG difference you hear in sound, by comparing different amp models, is from changes in 'POWER'. the only two elements are volts and current.
What type of current is this amp running? - this has a huge influence in sound.

I need to be wined and dined before I get screwed!

chuckelator

Reaction score
I'm by no means a Slash fan, but even still, seems like a cool practice amp to me, and that's also not so terrible a price either. Look at all the other amps that their primary amps are low wattage. A Matchless Baby costs 1700 bucks for example.

trobdcso

Reaction score
I'm by no means a Slash fan, but even still, seems like a cool practice amp to me, and that's also not so terrible a price either. Look at all the other amps that their primary amps are low wattage. A Matchless Baby costs 1700 bucks for example.

I agree.

allstar100595

Reaction score

Exactly, I couldn't stress this enough. People are comparing this amp and others in the Marshall line to inferior amps from companies like Blackstar who's only in consideration for their low prices, not their tone. There are many amps out there as well that this SL-5 is better than that are 2x the price.