New Amp in Town. TAF Tube Amp Factory

• Thread starter mtm105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mtm105

Reaction score
Tube Amp Factory TAF 14R Hand Wired All Tube Amplifier Head | eBay

$399 for 14 Watts. Point to point hand wired. Too hard to believe. It looks like a kit built from Radio Shack.

It does twin 6V6s which is what I'm looking for. But, I fail to see any reviews about the Amp, positive or negative.

I can't imagine it sounding great for that price. But it's Handwired, Made in USofA.

15644508402_d43e8faf5d_z.jpg

The taf-14R is a traditional, mid-power American style tube amp, like the ones that terrorized basements and garages of the 1950's and 60's. This amplifier can trace it's pedigree directly back to the first amplifier that Dave Harris ever built, way back in 1957. Kicking out 14 Watts of clean tube power through a pair of 6V6 tubes in a class A push-pull circuit, this compact head can deliver plenty of power for home use or more intimate venues. A carefully selected solid state reverb module makes this a great amp for spaces with less-than-ideal acoustics, without the extra weight, bulk, and finnickiness of a spring chamber. Like it's little brother, the taf-10X, things are kept pretty simple, with a responsive two-knob tone control, one of this amp's real strengths is delivering solid tones no matter where you point the chicken heads.

As with all Tube Amp Factory products, this head is entirely made by hand. Aside from the reverb module and an extremely special power supply circuit, the amplifier is 100% point-to-point wiring, soldered by hand. In fact, the power supply circuit in the taf-14R includes a special DC power circuit for the preamp filaments, further eliminating noise and hum and making this one of the most transparent amp circuits on the market. All these things make this our most popular amplifier, and a favorite of many guitarists.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want see someone pedal it up with a few different OD's...

anitoli

Reaction score
Trying to figure how there can be any profit margin at that price point unless all the internals are real cheesy. Or all of the boards/parts are made offshore and just assembled here.

mtm105

Reaction score
Trying to figure how there can be any profit margin at that price point unless all the internals are real cheesy. Or all of the boards/parts are made offshore and just assembled here.

That's my concern. It can't be a QUALITY build at that price.

Are the jacks made of plastic??

Doesn't have anything for endorsements, other than Youtube vids of playing at local clubs.

But THAT price!! The twin Green strips drops the demand. Could probably be much better if it were at least Red in color.

I'm not hammering the guy. He's doing a GREAT service if it's got merits. It might be decent at the Intermediate level...which would be me, but I'm now a corksniffer after playing through inferior gear for 3 decades.

TheSunShinesThrough

Reaction score
I thought it sounded nice but the materials look flimsy. I question the durability.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
It don't have much gain, and there is barely a difference between clean and "fat" mode.
Solid state reverb means it must have a PC board.
The wires are soldered to the PC board, by hand. Hardly Point to Point.
Transformers are not shielded....Chassis is like a Sears Silvertone.

Tube sockets are Chinese, cabinet is diffidently: "Crate."

Reminds me of a low budget Princeton Reverb.

SonofTAF

Reaction score
That company isn't very far from me.. I live in Columbus, Ohio.. But I haven't been there yet. I need to stop in and try out one of them sometime..
If you'd like to play one of the amps, give us a shout via email, pm on Facebook, or call us (phone number is on the website). We'll SST up a time for you to come in and play. We can also talk to you about the history of the amps, as well as the future of the company.

I honestly wish I'd run across this post and made the invitation to you and anybody else who was interested much sooner than I did. For the last year and a half, Dave Harris, the inventor of Tube Amp Factory amps, as well as h

That's really very funny, because Dave, himself, stated on numerous occasions (complained about it a lot) that basically he was charging for his materials and not really charging anything appreciable for his labor at all. (there were some other comments that he made about the current labor market that I will leave out, but I can promise that none of them were racist).

The price point of these amps was intended to do a few major things. He wanted to get these amps out in the world. He wanted Talented musicians who were not rolling in cash, to be able to realistically afford to buy one. He wanted to get the name out there, where it would be seen and known.

At present, there are a number of amplifiers that Dave built 100% by hand. They have the full factory warranty. Traditionally, when an amp WAS SOLD, Dave would sign the amp. These amps cannot be signed by him.

The point that I am dancing around, because it is still painful for me to discuss, because he was my father and a truly admirable man, who stood as an inspiration to many who even though they lacked father figures, emulated him, when they had children of their own.

At 11:30 a.m. EST on 12/13/2017 David E. Harris, surrounded by his wife of 50 years, and all five of his children, breathed his last and ceased suffering, thus losing his 18 month war against metastasized esophageal cancer. He joined his parents and younger brother. He is survived by his wife (Dee) Kathleen Harris (Stuteville), five children, Catherine (O'Keefe), John, Joseph, Sarah (Cowan) and Edward, many grandchildren, as well as a few great grandchildren.

TUBE AMP FACTORY
Will be carried on by Dave's youngest son, Edward, who was deeply involved in the design and building of the amplifiers for the last years of Dave's life, training specifically, to take the reins, upon Dave's passing. The company will be carried on. Please keep the comments, such as the matter of the green pillars coming, so things go in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you'd like to play one of the amps, give us a shout via email, pm on Facebook, or call us (phone number is on the website). We'll SST up a time for you to come in and play. We can also talk to you about the history of the amps, as well as the future of the company.

I honestly wish I'd run across this post and made the invitation to you and anybody else who was interested much sooner than I did. For the last year and a half, Dave Harris, the inventor of Tube Amp Factory amps, as well as h

That's really very funny, because Dave, himself, stated on numerous occasions (complained about it a lot) that basically he was charging for his materials and not really charging anything appreciable for his labor at all. (there were some other comments that he made about the current labor market that I will leave out, but I can promise that none of them were racist).

The price point of these amps was intended to do a few major things. He wanted to get these amps out in the world. He wanted Talented musicians who were not rolling in cash, to be able to realistically afford to buy one. He wanted to get the name out there, where it would be seen and known.

At present, there are a number of amplifiers that Dave built 100% by hand. They have the full factory warranty. Traditionally, when an amp WAS SOLD, Dave would sign the amp. These amps cannot be signed by him.

The point that I am dancing around, because it is still painful for me to discuss, because he was my father and a truly admirable man, who stood as an inspiration to many who even though they lacked father figures, emulated him, when they had children of their own.

At 11:30 a.m. EST on 12/13/2017 David E. Harris, surrounded by his wife of 50 years, and all five of his children, breathed his last and ceased suffering, thus losing his 18 month war against metastasized esophageal cancer. He joined his parents and younger brother. He is survived by his wife (Dee) Kathleen Harris (Stuteville), five children, Catherine (O'Keefe), John, Joseph, Sarah (Cowan) and Edward, many grandchildren, as well as a few great grandchildren.

TUBE AMP FACTORY
Will be carried on by Dave's youngest son, Edward, who was deeply involved in the design and building of the amplifiers for the last years of Dave's life, training specifically, to take the reins, upon Dave's passing. The company will be carried on. Please keep the comments, such as the matter of the green pillars coming, so things go in the right direction.

Sorry for your loss. Hope the company thrives!

Last edited by a moderator:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
As you can see, there are some good points that will help to sell amps.
1) Get headcases from a 3rd party known manufacturer
2) Drop the green pillars. I know they were your idea, but........
3) Charge more. Make a little profit. If you don't, 2 things happen. People think they're crap, and you won't be able to afford to stay in business.

If you can get someone to make some clips of your amps, AND price them just under what Marshall sells for rather than the insane boutique prices, you should be able to sell some units.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
As you can see, there are some good points that will help to sell amps.
1) Get headcases from a 3rd party known manufacturer
2) Drop the green pillars. I know they were your idea, but........
3) Charge more. Make a little profit. If you don't, 2 things happen. People think they're crap, and you won't be able to afford to stay in business.

If you can get someone to make some clips of your amps, AND price them just under what Marshall sells for rather than the insane boutique prices, you should be able to sell some units.

I agree and stress the last part about the clips. Get somebody who can really play and who looks cool...like really play...like an amazing player. Make sure the clips sound great and get right into them....don’t have someone talk about specs or whatever for the first minutes. Get right into the sound as soon as the clip begins and then circle back for some dialog after the amp is heard.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I agree and stress the last part about the clips. Get somebody who can really play and who looks cool...like really play...like an amazing player. Make sure the clips sound great and get right into them....don’t have someone talk about specs or whatever for the first minutes. Get right into the sound as soon as the clip begins and then circle back for some dialog after the amp is heard.

Mikes son would be perfect for that !!!

Greg Hastings

Reaction score
I own the TAF 35 watt head. Best amp ive ever heard and played. Pure tone!

Regarding comments about the:
1) quality and authenticity of this amp (point to point wiring, high quality ss reverb): An absolute tone beast!!! TAF knows how to do it right. Dave spoke he was not making much profit on these because of the manual labor., p2p. Reverb is legit.
2) the cheesy head cabinet: make sure your hair is done real nice in the morning before you play one. It is too good for you.

Here is a clip from YouTube that catches the true essence of the TAF amp:

Get it?

You will not be disappointed if you buy one. Rips the face off most amps at your favorite store (not to say good amps arent there) .

RIP Dave.

Greg Hastings

Reaction score
Note: not all models have reverb, and tonal characteristics do change with the different models. 6V6 35 watt is killer. The You Tube video clip I shared is a 10 watt with el84's.

Last edited:

Jeremy Acker

Reaction score
Dave sold me a TAF30 - the version before reverb was added - at a discounted price about 5 years ago. Beautiful clean and on-the-verge-of-break-up tones! The amp is still going strong. I haven’t opened it up to inspect, but for 250.00, I acquired a sweet little 30-Watt tube head. The DC power to the filaments does make it very quiet, as well. The clean tone is fabulously warm. Dave even sent me a hand drawn schematic of his design. He obviously loved his work. I’m sorry to read about his passing. Great amps! Mine’s a keeper, for sure!

Franksamps

Reaction score
I have a TAD14R coming to me next week, which I bought on a lark. It is in a combo package so I am not sure if it is original, not having seen any pictures of combos on line. I haven't seen any gut shots, schematics, and video clips other than ones TAD posted on YT. I am hoping I can document the amp, and respectfully ask if doing so will be OK with family or anyone who may find it objectionable.